Coaching Journal

Zeek

Just going to make a thread for my thoughts on coaching as I'm getting deeper into it.

Today was my first game as an Offensive Coordinator. We were supposed to play a few times before but we've had a bunch of hurdles.

We won 38-0 but most of it just felt like our players were on a different tier than the opponent. I have no clue if I actually did well or not.

Here are some pros and cons before I watch the film.

Pros:

1. I think I did a good job meeting one of my goals. We were pretty balanced with the run and pass.

2. No delay of games or false starts on offense.

3. Some explosive plays when we needed them. Resisted the urge to get cute when it wasn't needed.

4. Offensive Line's chemistry is fantastic.

5. I don't ask my quarterback to read too much but he made the correct read on almost every zone-read and passing situation.

6. No bad snaps (was a big problem during the first few weeks of practice).

7. Really wanted to break 50 points (which we figured we could against this team) but they put us on a running clock kind of early.

8. Everyone knew their plays even once we had our 3's and 4's in the game. That was a big goal of mine. Now I can add some more variety to the playback.

9. Not a single incomplete pass.

Cons:

1. We put the ball on the ground twice (first play of the game) and once on a triple option where the QB and pitch man were too close.

2. My running back looked nothing like they usually do in practice. I would have rotated him out but my backup is at home (mom tested positive) and my 3rd back isn't great.

3. Our pass plays worked really well but my quarterback is obsessed with throwing to his best friend. It works but I'd like to spread it around a little more.

4. We had some dumb penalties (my receivers weren't on when they should have been). We had a dumb block-in-the-back that was nowhere near the actual ball. Some silly stuff we'll clean up over time.

5. Our inside running was not pretty. We did well on the outside and zone read runs but our designated dives and powers were lack-luster.

6. There's such a steep drop off at WR after my starters and I was disappointed in some of our blocking on the perimeter. 

I've been watching local teams play lately. Trying to learn more and understand more from other teams approaches. Watched a team get blown out 40-0 against a prep school from Tallahassee (I think).

They (the prep school) played incredibly dirty and chippy against a team filled with... well let's say a lot of privileged and unathletic kids. It eats at me watching players push off the pile, clap in the other teams face while they're on the ground, and just generally act like punks.

However, the aforementioned privileged school seemed to have a major problem. They don't have whatever trait or machismo it takes to say "hey I'm not gonna let this kid taunt me and get away with it."

Archived