Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

Just now, DAG said:

Kind of makes you question some of the stuff coming out . We will see though 

His salary requirements and buyout may have given more latitude than other candidates.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TexasTiger said:

His salary requirements and buyout may have given more latitude than other candidates.

Well it seem like a lot of candidates had these insane asks like 6 million plus for Napier or crazy buy out from Sark. Starting to think AU was like no before it even got to those specifics.

1 minute ago, VegasEagle said:

Can someone explain his offense?

It’s a multiple scheme. No gimmicks. Have Essence of Spread and Pro-style. Not afraid to go under center or shot gun. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Kind of makes you question some of the stuff coming out . We will see though 

We may never know the facts about what went on leading to this hire. 

We kind of NEED to know if Steele really did the things he has been raked over the coals for.   Lots of folks spewing hate toward the man.  If it was all just rumor his reputation should not take this hit.   If guilty,  F. him.

Anybody know who his agent is and how much that might have played into the decision? Let’s be honest .... every part of his resume screams payday to Auburn. Born in Boise, high school ball in Boise, college playing career Boise State, coached every year at Boise State with the exception of 4 years. (1 of which replaced Gus at Arky State. 

I don’t know if anybody reads Caldwell’s Column from 247. But I thought it was a good read and describes some of the misinformation that’s come out the past few days. 

Personally, I think it makes sense. Weird for Napier and Brown to “turn down” the job without ever publicly addressing it.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Jason-Caldwell-column-Thoughts-on-Harsin-and-Auburns-coaching-search-157654561/

1 minute ago, sw6146 said:

Anybody know who his agent is and how much that might have played into the decision? Let’s be honest .... every part of his resume screams payday to Auburn. Born in Boise, high school ball in Boise, college playing career Boise State, coached every year at Boise State with the exception of 4 years. (1 of which replaced Gus at Arky State. 

Looks like he’s been the driving force in pushing Boise to move into a P5 conference. Boise’s PTB didn’t want to. So he’s leaving for greener pastures (or at least a place where he can win championships). 

He’s spent close to 20+ years of his life there. Maybe it was a time for a change? I don’t know. But I believe just from his interviews. He wants to win and knows he can win at the big stage. That’s all that I need to know to give him a chance. 

17 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

WOW!

Not trying to be that guy but myself and some others here alluded to this but half the site was melting down because they didn’t know who this guy was. 

29 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

WOW!

I hope this is accurate. How will the board respond if it is accurate and he then chooses to keep Steele? 

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well it seem like a lot of candidates had these insane asks like 6 million plus for Napier or crazy buy out from Sark. Starting to think AU was like no before it even got to those specifics.

Not sure what we really know. I think candidates engage in a lot of face saving leaks. I’d say Harsin is more accomplished than Napier or any coordinator who has never been an HC.

By hiring Boise State's Bryan Harsin, Auburn proves it's finally ready to go in a new direction

For nine days, Auburn was a joke. For nine days, Auburn was disorganized. For nine days, Auburn was a mess. For nine days, Auburn's search to replace coach Gus Malzahn looked comparable to Tennessee's week-long whirlwind of dysfunction after fans revolted against the potential hire of Greg Schiano on "Schiano Sunday" in late November 2017.

The dust settled Tuesday when Auburn hired Boise State's Bryan Harsin to replace Malzahn as the Tigers' coach, but the school itself didn't settle at all. It won. Auburn won by hiring a solid coach who has known nothing but success in his professional coaching career. 

Harsin was 69-19 in seven seasons at Boise State and won three conference championships. He has never finished worse than second in his division in eight years as a college head coach. I don't care what level you coach on. If you have that kind of success and, more importantly, sustain that success, you are qualified to coach with the best of the best. 

"JABA" became the running joke during Auburn's nine-day search -- "Just Auburn Being Auburn." It's a four-word jab aimed directly at the power structure on The Plains that consists of big-money power brokers and an advisory committee full of "Auburn men and women" from different roles across campus. To put it simply, it's a shot at a power structure has always been a small kitchen with way too many cooks. Those cooks pull the decision makers -- athletic director Allen Greene and president Jay Gogue -- in so many directions that it becomes impossible for them not to twist in the wind. 

Want more college football in your life? Listen below and subscribe to the Cover 3 College Football podcast for top-notch insight and analysis beyond the gridiron.

The search had several names attached to it including Louisiana's Billy Napier, UAB's Bill Clark, Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and current defensive coordinator/interim head coach Kevin Steele. It was reported that the big power brokers eyed Steele from the jump, but pulled back with they received more backlash than anticipated. Call it a diet version of "Schiano Sunday" if you wish. All of those names are expected, predictable and, in reality, not particularly sexy. 

Harsin isn't any of those, and that's a good thing. The long and winding road to land on Harsin was the exact opposite of "JABA." It was the anti-Auburn. The program stepped out of its comfort zone because it knows that in order to become a championship-level program, it has to. What it was doing wasn't working (unless, of course, Cam Newton has a clone roaming around). Instead of banging its head into the wall in attempt to break through that glass ceiling, it hired a west coast coach with a southeastern mindset. 

Those Boise State teams under Harsin were known for owning the line of scrimmage on both sides and running a balanced offense out of the spread. That offense produced four, 3,000-yard passers during Harsin's first six years. It probably would have produced a fifth had then-freshman Hank Bachmeier not gotten banged up during the 2019 season. What's more, Harsin is known for his no-nonsense approach and attention to detail in all aspects of the program.

Isn't that what Auburn needs? A coach who can get the most out of the big uglies in the trenches, develop quarterbacks and instill discipline? The answer is "yes."

Sure, Harsin has limited knowledge of the SEC recruiting landscape. There's no denyingthat. That's why hiring a staff with deep recruiting ties is imperative for him to break through that glass ceiling that Malzahn couldn't crack. That will come later. 

What Auburn did on Tuesday was hire a very good, established and highly-regarded coach. It didn't do what the rest of college football world expected. It stepped out of its comfort zone. This wasn't "Auburn being Auburn." The path to get here might have looked like it at times, but this turned out to be a different trail altogether. This is Auburn being bold. This is Auburn starting fresh. This is the a new Auburn that nobody expected to see when Malzahn was fired on Dec. 13. 

That's a good thing.

by-hiring-boise-states-bryan-harsin-aubu

CBS Sports HQ Newsletter

We bring sports news that matters to your inbox, to help you stay informed and get a winning edge.

Our Latest Stories

byu-ucf.jpg

BYU caps 11-1 season with bowl win

CHIP PATTERSON • 2 MIN READ
patterson-buffalo-bulls.jpg

Camellia Bowl: Marshall-Buffalo picks

TOM FORNELLI • 2 MIN READ
NCAA Football: Houston at Texas Tech

Houston vs. Hawaii pick, live stream

BARRETT SALLEE • 2 MIN READ
rose-bowl.jpg

2020-21 College football bowl schedule

BEN KERCHEVAL • 2 MIN READ
derek-mason-vanderbilt.jpg

2020 coaching carousel, tracker, grades

BARRETT SALLEE • 3 MIN READ
zach-wilson-byu.jpg

BYU vs. UCF, Boca Raton Bowl pick

CHIP PATTERSON • 4 MIN READ

user-matching?id=11&_fw_gdpr=0&_fw_gdpr_user-matching?id=2545&_fw_gdpr=0&_fw_gdpuser-matching?id=11&_fw_gdpr=0&_fw_gdpr_user-matching?id=2545&_fw_gdpr=0&_fw_gdpuser-matching?id=11&_fw_gdpr=0&_fw_gdpr_user-matching?id=2545&_fw_gdpr=0&_fw_gdp

I think this is about as good as it could have gone at this point.  Younger guy, history of winning, not a good ole boy, no baggage.  It’s so nuts to go back and try to decifer what was legit and what was complete bs the past week.  I’m excited to see what this guy can do.

5 hours ago, mdp5150 said:

A92A472F-C586-4A4C-990E-81281266025C.jpeg

Auburn Head Coach Bryan Harsin
"I'm incredibly excited and humbled for the opportunity to be at a place like Auburn University. I knew it would take a special opportunity to get me out of Boise and Auburn is exactly that, the chance to compete at the highest level for one of the greatest programs in college football. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the coaches and players in the Southeastern Conference, but am ready to help build a foundation at Auburn where we can consistently compete for championships. I want our program to make Auburn proud both on and off the field with consistent excellence. I'm very grateful to Allen Greene and Dr. Gogue for this opportunity. Kes, our kids and I can't wait to meet the Auburn family and get to work! War Eagle!"

Auburn Director of Athletics Allen Greene
"We are thrilled to welcome Coach Harsin to the Auburn family. He's a proven winner whose record speaks for itself. Coach Harsin impressed me with his detailed plan to lead Auburn to consistently compete for championships in the Southeastern Conference. I'm grateful to Gen. Burgess, Quentin Riggins and each member of our advisory committee for their commitment to Auburn during this process. We look forward to welcoming Bryan, Kes and their children to the Plains to introduce them to the Auburn family."

Auburn President Jay Gogue
"We started the search with two goals. We want a coach who will lead our team to consistently compete at the highest levels and to make Auburn proud on and off the field. We found both in Coach Harsin. 

Our search was diligent and thoughtful, and it is unfortunate that so much misinformation was spread in recent days about the process. I appreciate the leadership of Athletics Director Allen Greene and the hard work of members of our search advisory group. Welcome, Coach Harsin, to the Auburn family."

Wow! A coach whose best season was six years ago with someone else's players. Seems like we've hired Malzahn again. This is disappointing. Go Vols.

1 minute ago, DivisionN said:

Wow! A coach whose best season was six years ago with someone else's players. Seems like we've hired Malzahn again. This is disappointing. Go Vols.

Go Vols? He’s way better than anyone UTK has hired in the last 12 years! 

2 minutes ago, DivisionN said:

Good luck while on Probation!! 🤷

9 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Swing and a miss. Boise State hasn't been relevant in nine years.

The man is willing to leave his comfort zone to come and compete at a higher level. He could stay in Boise and be a millionaire or come to the sec and challenge himself. I’m grateful the guy is willing to leave his comfort zone and compete.

9 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Swing and a miss. Boise State hasn't been relevant in nine years.

Your avatar is remarkably relevant.

Not sure why there are as many Debbie-downers about but Harsin might be the most accomplished (and least JABA) head coaching hire ever made. Dude has been a winner everywhere he goes. Are you really gonna sulk because Auburn hired a guy who coached teams to 6 conference title appearances and won 4 (between two different conferences no less)?

4 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

The man is willing to leave his comfort zone to come and compete at a higher level. He could stay in Boise and be a millionaire or come to the sec and challenge himself. I’m grateful the guy is willing to leave his comfort zone and compete.

That's commendable but I'm tired of mediocre. Can he lead an SEC team to the college football playoffs on a regular basis? Can he compete on the same field with Alabana and Georgia? Can he recruit?

Archived