Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Couple of things I am reading about him that I really like. Apparently he likes discipline across the trenches , he is very detailed and runs a balance offense. I think all Of that is huge . I know people want recruiters and rightfully so but I always lean to guys who can build and coach first . Been asking for this forever at Auburn and excited it is finally here 

From what I have read on the Bronco chat forums he recruits very well ! They say that it’s one of his strong points. The thing it doesn’t show up because where they play and are located. They think he will do great here with better resources.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bg5 said:

So glad we lost $21,000,000 and a recruiting class over this. 

Recruiting class was already garbage. Firing Gus didn’t lose that class. Gus lost the class by not developing players and by not fielding a good team. He consistently recruited worse and worse, and I think that’s part of the reason why he was fired. Not to mention, Gus’s program was bleeding recruits to the transfer portal. 

4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I don;t know specifics.  It sounded like either after UGA or South Ca. Boosters reached out to both Steele and Garner and asked them just what exactly was wrong with the program.  #1 the players are just soft under Malzahns leader ship and lack the toughness to go head to head with Bama and UGA.  #2 Player development #3 Gus believes in his heart of hearts he knows what he is doing.  In reality he has his receivers running the same routes as an 8th grade football team.  Its the SEC and his offense has no business in the power 5.  Garner and Steele want what best for the players and although Gus did a lot right, he was not properly preparing his team for Saturdays.

Before Steele got here our Defense was woeful. He got us to where our D was respected by all college programs. What is all the hate about?

22 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

The best news to come from the whole search. 

Maybe this wasn’t a problem from the start? Maybe the BoT weren’t trying to handcuff the hire? I don’t know. Why would you cede control to CBH but not to some of the other big names we looked at?

I just spent a good hour watching Boise State, and so far I like what CBH did there. He had multiple formations. They went under center and shotgun (lots of under center in short yardage situations). They used the tight ends to create mismatches, and actually threw the ball to them! I saw multiple third down plays where the receivers ran routes beyond the sticks. Maybe the best trend I saw was BSU getting the ball to their playmakers in different ways. Bottom line: if Harsin makes us mad, he won't make us mad for the same reasons Gus did. I'm looking forward to next year. War Eagle. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

He's literally the best on-paper hire Auburn has ever made. Go look at our previous head coach selections. He has above and beyond more experience and the best record. Those other coaches didn't come from elite programs either.

Y'all need to let yourselves be happy and rally around the guy. He could totally blow but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Only way I'm upset about this hire is:

1) if we gave him a Gus level salary 

And/or

2) If he's forced to keep a staff member 

Good to see you changed your mind and came around on this hire.  Could not agree with you more.  I do hope he does chose to keep a couple staff members, but that it is his call.  

I feel like with what he brings to the table and we maintain or hopefully improve recruiting we will put our program to the next level.  Being tough, being developed, being prepared, being focused and utilizing the talent he is working with.

Let’s hope for some home run hires, I wonder if he brings anyone with him from an on field coaching perspective.

4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I don;t know specifics.  It sounded like either after UGA or South Ca. Boosters reached out to both Steele and Garner and asked them just what exactly was wrong with the program.  #1 the players are just soft under Malzahns leader ship and lack the toughness to go head to head with Bama and UGA.  #2 Player development #3 Gus believes in his heart of hearts he knows what he is doing.  In reality he has his receivers running the same routes as an 8th grade football team.  Its the SEC and his offense has no business in the power 5.  Garner and Steele want what best for the players and although Gus did a lot right, he was not properly preparing his team for Saturdays.

This sounds believable. Steele’s defense is definitely better than the Swiss cheese I saw before he got here. Think about this, he stymied probably the most prolific offense in college football last year in Baton Rouge, and if Gus had HIS side of the ball prepared for games we would have been unstoppable. I do think Steele’s defenses have problems though. Our secondary has been a liability for a while under him. 

I feel like since nobody saw this hire coming, some are being blindsided and when they do some research they are gonna be more willing to agree and possibly be excited about this hire.  As a base will we have patience to have a developer as head coach, because the offensive line will be a work in progress as we still lack true tackles on scholarship.  I do feel like in all other positions we have superior talent and hope to see continued development in the process

I’m interested to see what CBH can do with our program. It’s a new day, and I’m glad we don’t have the same old mess at the helm. I’m thrilled to have a different offensive scheme coming to the Plains. I’m glad he’s young(ish) (I wouldn’t call forties young because I’m approaching forty myself), and I hope he brings toughness, intensity, and the will to win to the Plains. We’ve seemed soft and entitled recently. I want other teams to see Auburn on the schedule and expect a loss that week. I want other teams and fan bases to see their team as the underdog when the Auburn game comes around. You all know that feeling you got when Gus had to play any of the big three teams on our schedule? That’s the feeling I want their teams and fans to have when we come calling with CBH. Welcome aboard, coach! Let’s get to work! WDE!

11 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Maybe this wasn’t a problem from the start? Maybe the BoT weren’t trying to handcuff the hire? I don’t know. Why would you cede control to CBH but not to some of the other big names we looked at?

Maybe they finally realized they couldn’t get any HC worth having if they handcuff them with current staff and removed the restrictions.  It was too late to reel Napier or others back in.

1 minute ago, Auburn Tiger said:

I’m glad he’s young(ish) (I wouldn’t call forties young because I’m approaching forty myself),

You kids, forties is young, trust me.

3 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

I want other teams and fan bases to see their team as the underdog when the Auburn game comes around

This is exactly what had been missing. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

You kids, forties is young, trust me.

This is exactly what had been missing. 

Wanted to leave a laugh react and a thumbs up. Can’t do both, so I laugh to the first part about being forty here: lol

The more I see and hear, the more I like the hire.  I can’t wait to see who his coordinators and assistants will be. On another note, I think Joiner may have fit into the Harsin offense nicely. It’s a shame he didn’t wait to sign with MSU.  I hope Richards decides to stick around. 

24 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Because it took all those other candidates giving you (boosters) the middle finger for suggesting they (coaching candidate)wouldn’t have complete control over the program. I don’t find it overly difficult to believe that boosters in the AUburn program have been overly meddlesome to the detriment of the program. I mean it’s not like it’s one crying in the wilderness. There’s numerous former players, coaches, beat reporters...etc all saying the same thing. It’s not like those people playing puppeteer are going to come to you and I and tell/show us what they’re doing. However, I’ve said it before, I was friends with a gentleman’s grandson who happened to be a high level appointed political office holder while I was at AU. He had seats that were in the orange section just below the concourse, the ones you donate a hefty sum to have access to purchase season tickets. He was buddies with Bobby Lowder. This was during the Bowden upheaval. He essentially said that yes, Lowder was pulling the strings but gave the caveat I’ve seen some on here say. He said, “Bobby is a good Auburn man and he’s just trying to do what’s best for Auburn “. Believe it or don’t. It doesn’t make it any less true. 

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

The more I see and hear, the more I like the hire.  I can’t wait to see who his coordinators and assistants will be. On another note, I think Joiner May have fit into the Harsin offense nicely. It’s a shame he didn’t wait to sign with MSU.  I hope Richards decides to stick around. 

Joiner will start at MSU.  It's a smart move for him.

38 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

This sounds believable. Steele’s defense is definitely better than the Swiss cheese I saw before he got here. Think about this, he stymied probably the most prolific offense in college football last year in Baton Rouge, and if Gus had HIS side of the ball prepared for games we would have been unstoppable. I do think Steele’s defenses have problems though. Our secondary has been a liability for a while under him. 

Muschamp

47 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Good to see you changed your mind and came around on this hire.  Could not agree with you more.  I do hope he does chose to keep a couple staff members, but that it is his call.  

I feel like with what he brings to the table and we maintain or hopefully improve recruiting we will put our program to the next level.  Being tough, being developed, being prepared, being focused and utilizing the talent he is working with.

Let’s hope for some home run hires, I wonder if he brings anyone with him from an on field coaching perspective.

I did my homework and he's solid man. Was bitter it wasn't one of my guys originally and I didn't know the name well. This guy should get the most out of Tank. 

8 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

That's comforting.

Don’t be a dense! His resume is better than Terry Bowden, Chizik, Malzahn, and right on line with Pat Dye when Auburn hired him.  Let’s be real.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I hope he at least considers letting Cadillac and Bicknell, Jr. keep their jobs. 

Nope, dump them all. Partial resets just don't work well.

3 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

I’d definitely take champ as DC. 

I keep saying no. Would rather have Mason.

Archived