Cornelius Williams New WR Coach

Tony4AU

E8763582-E661-4F71-8E8F-ED06A5A1915A.jpeg

AUBURN, Ala. – Cornelius Williams, who has spent the previous six years coaching wide receivers at Troy, has been named wide receivers coach at Auburn, head coach Bryn Harsin announced Saturday. Williams, who won four Sun Belt championships and helped lead Troy to three bowl games as a player, was also the passing game coordinator at his alma mater the last two seasons.

"Cornelius is a great fit for the staff we are assembling," Harsin said. "He's a strong teacher of the game on the field and has been developing recruiting ties in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi during his time at Troy. As a Birmingham native, and his state of Alabama roots, he understands what Auburn football is all about and the type of player and high character individuals we want bring in and develop. I'm excited to see his energy and passion for the game guide our wide receiver room."

During his time at Troy, Williams' receivers earned 14 All-Sun Belt honors including a pair of first team selections by Emanuel Thompson and most recently Damion Willis and Kaylon Geiger.

This past season, Troy's passing attack was 21st nationally in passing yards per game (290.2) and Geiger was 30th nationally with 752 receiving yards. In 2019, outside receivers Reggie Todd and Khalil McClain combined for 83 receptions, 12 touchdowns and 1228 yards. As a unit, the receivers topped the 100-yard mark 11 different times to shatter the Troy school record that previously stood at seven games.

"I'm very thankful to Coach Harsin for the opportunity to join his staff at Auburn," Williams said. "I'm humbled and very appreciative that he believes in me. I know what kind of culture that Coach Harsin wants to build at Auburn with his thought process, attention to detail and desire to work hard. I've worked with coaches like that in the past and I love that culture and approach. I'm hungry to get to work and continue to grow and develop under his leadership. Growing up in this state, I know Auburn is a special place and I can't wait to be a part of it and get to work."

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/1/16/football-cornelius-williams-named-wide-receivers-coach-at-auburn.aspx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Me either.  Read about him on 247 and was about to read up then announcement happened!!

Harsin had to be impressed considering the other WR coaches mentioned.

Auburn hires Troy's Cornelius Williams as new receivers coach

5 minutes ago

Auburn has hired Troy wide receivers coach Cornelius Williams to coach the same position, Tigers head coach Bryan Harsin announced Saturday morning.

"Cornelius is a great fit for the staff we are assembling," Harsin said. "He's a strong teacher of the game on the field and has been developing recruiting ties in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi during his time at Troy. As a Birmingham native, and his state of Alabama roots, he understands what Auburn football is all about and the type of player and high character individuals we want bring in and develop. I'm excited to see his energy and passion for the game guide our wide receiver room."

Auburn Undercover is updating this story. Check back soon for additional information.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't know enough to make a statement

Same. Been at Troy awhile and played there, from Hoover is all I know. 

Coach C Will!!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Not to be Zeek but I’m a little disappointed in this one. We’ll see though

Me too underwhelming.  They say he knows the southeast for recruiting but the SEC does not recruit the same players or schools as Troy.

23 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Not to be Zeek but I’m a little disappointed in this one. We’ll see though

Are you ever happy? 🤪

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Me too underwhelming.  They say he knows the southeast for recruiting but the SEC does not recruit the same players or schools as Troy.

To be fair, they do probably recruit the same schools. The schools that have SEC type talent usually have Troy type talent as well. 

• Like 3

Got a feeling this will at least be an upgrade from Kodi. Good luck coach! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kinda feels like a budget hire. But every established position coach made their name at some point. His resume to this point seems impressive. Overall this has the look of a solid, well balanced staff. 

A little underwhelming based on the build up and names that were mentioned. I guess this means Wyatt is headed to Miami. But I will put my faith in Harsin and understand that assembling a staff with availability, chemistry, philosophy and budget in mind is not like making picks for the all star game.

37 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Harsin had to be impressed considering the other WR coaches mentioned.

That's some solid spin 😅😅