What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

I'm just going to give a very broad and general statement on how some of the discussions around here are going and how they need to go in the future. 

1a.  There should be a very high bar, with plenty of objective evidence, to suggest racism as a motive for something that happens for discussions in the non-political forums.  A lot of people come to talk about sports and see sports as an escape from the constant drumbeat of bad things happening in our society and simply do not want to talk about politics, religious disputes, arguments over racism, sexism, and so on.  So let's reserve going there - in the sports forums - for only the most obvious and egregious situations.  Try to keep 99% of those discussions in the politics forum for those who like hashing that stuff out.

1b.  Some folks need to dial back their knee jerk meter about 100 clicks and realize that not every instance of someone mentioning racism or other bad motives is "injecting race" into a discussion where it's not warranted.  Folks want to act like because the 1960s happened, it's all kumbaya and holding hands and that so long as someone isn't dropping n-words, we're all good.  You get your undies in a wad anytime someone brings up race at all as a possible motive or backdrop for something that has gone down.  It's not true and we still have a LONG way to go on racial issues in this country.  And sometimes it's impossible to separate the world of sports from everything else going on.

At a cursory glance, those two statements may seem to contradict each other, but they don't.  They are two concepts that have to be held in tension with each other.  A balance has to be struck.  And some grace has to be given and a whole lot less assuming has to be done on each side.  What needs to stop is all the bickering.  It bogs down threads and derails otherwise civil discussions.

Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I'm opening this back up.  Please guys, speak to one another with respect and tread lightly on the more controversial aspects of this.  If you really want to dig into the racial aspects of it, I suggest starting a new thread in the politics forum for it.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

There's a combination of things that resulted in General Burgess being reassigned to the Athletic Department. Some of it is financial (Burgess is known for his leadership in this area) regarding how money was being allocated, some of it is related to some upset donors and alumni, some of it is about the lack of personality needed to raise funds and some of it is related to the good ole "complaint box". Covid hasn't helped either. There's also an aspect I can't put my finger on just yet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

24 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

There's a combination of things that resulted in General Burgess being reassigned to the Athletic Department. Some of it is financial (Burgess is known for his leadership in this area) regarding how money was being allocated, some of it is related to some upset donors and alumni, some of it is about the lack of personality needed to raise funds and some of it is related to the good ole "complaint box". Covid hasn't helped either. There's also an aspect I can't put my finger on just yet. 

What are the donors and alumni upset over? Fundraising has started to come up as well now. IMO AD needs to be running the athletic department and you can get some old athletes to glad hand and make the fundraising rounds. Yeah the AD needs to be there helping as well but you can let others take on tasks that aren't your strong point. 

Would love to hear more about why donors and alumni are unhappy and then what about Greene's personality makes him bad a fundraising? Thanks

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

So from what you wrote, the upset donor part and personality fitting in is that not the good ole boy club stuff?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

So from what you wrote, the upset donor part and personality fitting in is that not the good ole boy club stuff?

There was no reason to

make this a big uproar to start. It sounds like things that should be able to be handle behind closer doors or a difference of personal opinion. But people were insinuating like this was some major scandal .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

There was no reason to

make this a big uproar to start. It sounds like things that should be able to be handle behind closer doors or a difference of personal opinion. But people were insinuating like this was some major scandal .

That's where I'm starting to lean myself. All that bull from yesterday wasn't called for. It's as simple as saying that's a part of it but there are a couple of more variables at play.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

There was no reason to

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's where I'm starting to lean myself. All that bull from yesterday wasn't called for. It's as simple as saying that's a part of it but there are a couple of more variables at play.

Mods on some boards now posting they don't think he's Auburn's AD much longer

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Mods on some boards now posting they don't think he's Auburn's AD much longer

Probably not. A split maybe necessary. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Probably not. A split maybe necessary. 

I'd love to hear more about the budget cuts and the reality behind them.  That seems to be the only real complaint outside he does "fit in" and wasn't a yes man to boosters.

So who told him to cut the budget?  Was there expectations from the President that they had to cut the budget?  Did he do it on his own?  Was he trying to stock pile money?

If he truly mismanaged funds on his own accord, then I get the gripe.  But I just can't see Greene sabotaging himself and the program like that.  IDk

And shocking, small minded insiders are now pegging a guy from Mobile who is the AD at Utah St being the next AD.  I guess he'll "fit in"

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

How did we go from Allen Greene stood up to the good Ole boy system, hired his coach, he’s the guy we need to he’s in over his head in 4.5 months?  This seems completely out of left field.  As bad as the info was during the coaching source I’m going to wait and see before I buy all this.  This is also another weapon other football coaches are going to use againyHarsin.  “You don’t want to play for him.  They fired his AD.  As soon as he messes up he’s gone.  Come to UGA” etc

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

How did we go from Allen Greene stood up to the good Ole boy system, hired his coach, he’s the guy we need to he’s in over his head in 4.5 months?  This seems completely out of left field.  As bad as the info was during the coaching source I’m going to wait and see before I buy all this.  This is also another weapon other football coaches are going to use againyHarsin.  “You don’t want to play for him.  They fired his AD.  As soon as he messes up he’s gone.  Come to UGA” etc

Some places claiming he didn't want to fire Gus.  Pres forced him to do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Again, I wouldn't take any solace in that. If that was the case, he would’ve been fired long ago. That definitely would’ve came out around that time. With all these so called leaks, something like that wouldn’t come out? They are trying to bury him now. 

13 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Firing a good coach is tough even when it’s probably time to move on.  I don’t know if I would have pulled the plug in his position without some outside influence 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Firing Gus was business and not personal. Once the money was available for the buyout it was a no-brainer. If our AD couldn't get on board with that line of thinking then I'd be second guessing him too. 

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Firing Gus was business and not personal. Once the money was available for the buyout it was a no-brainer. If our AD couldn't get on board with that line of thinking then I'd be second guessing him too. 

bologna, Allen said that the program and direction of it was trending in the wrong direction and that the hope for it to turn the table was bleak. There for, it was time to go in a different direction.

1 minute ago, eaglenest said:

bologna, Allen said that the program and direction of it was trending in the wrong direction and that the hope for it to turn the table was bleak. There for, it was time to go in a different direction.

You mean baloney?

Did you read the post I was responding too? If he was forced to fire him then what else would make sense for him to say? My response was an if/then response, not a condemnation. 

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

And that’s one of the biggest issues at AU. Nefarious sources and claims and innuendos. Rarely do we deal in certifiable facts and identified sources. Frustrating, and not good for our brand. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

You mean baloney?

Did you read the post I was responding too? If he was forced to fire him then what else would make sense for him to say? My response was an if/then response, not a condemnation. 

His response was in alignment of “do you even think that is logical?”

Something like that would've leaked a long time ago

These are the narratives that come out when certain individuals want a person to leave and try gain traction with the fanbase. 

Secondly prior to even firing Gus he was saying how winning matters and that is the expectation in his initial support of Gus. Now you are trying to allude that he was forced to say something? Lol. Y'all don't be making no sense man. It sounds like the reason they want him out is because they can't force him to go in a certain direction. So that would seem to complete contradict that theory. 

Edited by DAG

Just a few days ago I saw someone say he was going to let the CKS thing happen . I can’t remember if it was in this forum or the rant . So now, he was forced to fire Gus, he was going to hire CKS and they had to stop him from that?

Let me guess the next rumor is the president hired CBH?

IMO, this guy said he is bringing restriction to the budget, certain coaches don’t like it, they went running to the leaders. He also probably isn’t kissing ass to the money makers and they don’t like that. This is a problem, so they want him out. Oh and I do believe his family probably isn’t that fond of the Bible Belt. So to add salt to the wound , he looked for other jobs. The issue is we aren’t winning so he doesn’t have cards to play on his side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Just a few days ago I saw someone say he was going to let the CKS thing happen . I can’t remember if it was in this forum or the rant . So now, he was forced to fire Gus, he was going to hire CKS and they had to stop him from that?

Tate said both

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

His response was in alignment of “do you even think that is logical?”

Something like that would've leaked a long time ago

These are the narratives that come out when certain individuals want a person to leave and try gain traction with the fanbase. 

Secondly prior to even firing Gus he was saying how winning matters and that is the expectation in his initial support of Gus. Now you are trying to allude that he was forced to say something? Lol. Y'all don't be making no sense man. It sounds like the reason they want him out is because they can't force him to go in a certain direction. So that would seem to complete contradict that theory. 

Lumping me in with "y'all" ? Who is y'all? Again to be clear, my response was an if/then. And if he was made to do something he didn't really want to do then it's not that hard to comprehend or is it. As long as someone else is paying your salary you can be forced to do a lot of things you don't want to do. I've had to fire a few people that I didn't really want to but that didn't mean I could say nope, no way, not going to do it. Over time you realize that if you are in that position. Now at this point, the past few days, some are saying he has quit showing up at the office. Well, I can see that side of the picture too. If AG was pressured to do something he didn't want to do and it has happened more that once, I can see how that might change a person's drive. It was still time for Gus to go and I would prefer to think he did think that way. Truthfully, there are always three sides, the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle of the other two.

12 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Tate said both

So either the administration are a bunch of fools or AG is incompetent. That basically means the administration had to tell him how to do his job.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1