Dukes the Scoop Take on Our Current Recruiting

Zeek

Yes he is average. If not then u saying he is in the league with Saban, Urban and Dabo without any championships. Peterson was great at Bosie but when he moved up to the big stage he was average.  Somehow because he won alot of games in a conference with a bunch of creampuffs he is elite now without even coaching a game at Auburn. Lets see how he does on the big stage before elevated to greatness status.

56 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The fixation on downing Gus to praise Harsin has been annoying to say the least. Beat JFF in College Station (top 7 iirc), top 5 Missouri in the SEC CG, top 5 Ole Miss in Oxford, top 15 LSU by 30, top 15 KSU on the road, had the biggest ass kicking of a ranked team that Auburn has had (2016 Ark), and was within 5 percentage points or less to Tubbs, Jordan and Dye whilst having the hardest coaching job at Auburn ever and inheriting a team that got laughed off the field for almost 2 straight years. Outside of that South Carolina win and the paper Tiger ranked win vs UF, this team was horrendous against ranked squads. 

anyone who implies to you Gus inherited  some golden goose is disingenuous as hell 

He had some talent, supplemented it with a transfer, won quickly, then ruined it all

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Ok

I mean he went down in flames, but ok

People on both sides of the Harsin argument have some legitimate points. Yes Harsin did very well at Boise which makes you think he is a great coach, Yes he inherited a program that was already a great program in the Mountain West which means he just continued what others had done. Yes the recruiting is different and the talent level is different in Boise than in Auburn. Yes he has come in with a no nonsense attitude that reminds some of Dye and Saban.  

Basically what I am saying is at this point it is all conjecture and we won't know for many years if he is the Auburn coach that will get us to the next level, an average coach who will keep us middle of the pack, or a bad coach who can't handle the SEC.

There are enough differences between Boise and the SEC it is hard to do an honest comparison. My take is part gut reaction and part listening to the players and coaches who have bought into the Harsin philosophy. Harsin has said all the right things in interviews, I am impressed how he has increased the number of non-coaches involved in the recruiting process and in game planning.  That reminds me a bit of bama in the emphasis on the details.  I was impressed by what appeared to be good weight gain in the Winter conditioning Program getting bigger and stronger while not losing quickness or even gaining quickness is the key to what goes on in the trenches.  I am impressed by how many head coaches and or OC's and DC's he has brought in and seems to value their input. I like what I have seen so far. I like how he has been flexible when inheriting a very weak recruiting class and the way he has used the transfer Portal. 

Basically I think we have found the right man but I am realistic enough to know all the things I like about him won't mean a thing if 3 or 4 years down the road we are not recruiting and playing at a higher level than when Gus was here. My gut says this was a good hire but maybe I ate to many habanero's and my gut is messed up, only time will tell with what type coach he is, but for at least next 3 years I will give him my support similar to what I did with Gus until he proved to me he wasn't the man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Yes he is average. If not then u saying he is in the league with Saban, Urban and Dabo without any championships. Peterson was great at Bosie but when he moved up to the big stage he was average.  Somehow because he won alot of games in a conference with a bunch of creampuffs he is elite now without even coaching a game at Auburn. Lets see how he does on the big stage before elevated to greatness status.

Maybe we've found the issue here. In my mind, there is a lot of room between average and 3 of the greatest CFB coaches of all time. Of course Harsin isn't on Saban/Dabo level yet. But he has proven to be well above average. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbo said:

Maybe we've found the issue here. In my mind, there is a lot of room between average and 3 of the greatest CFB coaches of all time. Of course Harsin isn't on Saban/Dabo level yet. But he has proven to be well above average. 

A lot of communication issues at play in this thread, to be sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I mean he went down in flames, but ok

Jordan, Dye, Tubs all finished with a worse record, and that’s not accounting for the two gimme games that weren’t played with covid

whats next 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

19 minutes ago, cbo said:

So u saying he is better than Peterson then who had a better record in the same amount of time and more accomplishments . However,  Peterson while coaching at Washington has been average. Now if u deem Peterson well above average then he lost to the so called worst coach in Auburn history according to most on the board. (Side note Peterson smashed Harsin in their head to head and was their worst lost in 7 years).  So in just a few weeks we will start to have some clarity.

What I actually said is there is a huge gap between average and Saban, Dabo, and Urban. I'd love to hear you dispute that. 

I have definitely never said Gus was the worst coach in Auburn history. Pretty sure no one on this board has said that either. 

Harsin's coaching record to this point is clearly above average. Has nothing to do with Peterson. Of course we don't know how it will eventually play out. But so far, so good for Harsin. 

Let's try to focus and not make up false arguments. 

• Like 2

Having seen how the 'news' takes actual events and changes a word here or there (or just add stuff)  to  spin it and further their agenda, I would deem about 5-6 people on here as great candidates to work in the 'news' industry.  

I just have one last thing to say, either some folks are intentionally twisting what other people are posting or they absolutely, well, "bless your heart."   I wish you well and enjoy your weekend. 

SEC media days will surely get spun out of control by the Harsin antagonists.     I am done with the thread. 

21 hours ago, Beaker said:

Yeah, new staff, new scheme, new playbook, new routines....they should  nail 9 wins or it's a disappointment?       I think there are a lot of factors at play to consider before I deem any season a disappointment or success.  That's just me.

Chizik did it under the same circumstances.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Head coach gets fired, also has bad record the season he got fired 

A novel concept only applicable to Gus!!!!

What the heck are you talking about ? Lol 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'd hope so, but your boy is coming off a 6 win season. 

Pretending 9 wins is the floor is a bit ridiculous 

Six wins with no OOC cupcakes. Personnel will be superior to last year's due to experience, no opt-outs and hopefully no plague of O-line injuries. Winning six of the nine real games is not unreasonable.

I applaud the people in here who heard the rumors about Gus running a loser culture and failing at ALL the major points behind the scene and went wild PLUS are taking that same energy and applying it to these rumors 

It seems like some (not a lot) other folks in here are giving more credence towards the “news” that fits their agenda. Even if some “news” has less sensical evidence backing it 

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Did you read the post I replied to 

Yes he said Gus won and then he didn’t maintain. The same could be said about chizik and tubs. Where are you going with this? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes he said Gus won and then he didn’t maintain. The same could be said about chizik and tubs. Where are you going with this? 

If he said that in a prior post, okay. The post you quoted was a reply to the guy mentioning Gus’s record that got him axed, as if that was a knock against him exclusively. 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If he said that in a prior post, okay. The post you quoted was a reply to the guy mentioning Gus’s record that got him axed, as if that was a knock against him exclusively. 

Well this conversation was about Gus. Would it make you feel better if we applied that to tubs and chizik too because we can

10 hours ago, e808 said:

So u saying he is better than Peterson then who had a better record in the same amount of time and more accomplishments . However,  Peterson while coaching at Washington has been average. Now if u deem Peterson well above average then he lost to the so called worst coach in Auburn history according to most on the board. (Side note Peterson smashed Harsin in their head to head and was their worst lost in 7 years).  So in just a few weeks we will start to have some clarity.

You're not embarrassing yourself because DAG said so. 

It's fine if you want to stan Gus. Nobody has a problem with that. The issue is that every. single. Gus apologist has to exaggerate and misrepresent the opposite view. Every one of you. "Nobody gives him any credit at all." "Y'all say he's the worst in history." "Why do people hate Gus?" "You're still obsessed with Gus." You embarrass and distance yourselves with this disingenuous, hyperbolic crap. 

Gus ran a clean program and filled the locker room with outstanding kids. He represented the university with class and gave us some amazing wins. He enabled Muschamp and Steele to do their jobs and field mostly fantastic defenses.

He also presided over many of the most embarrassing and inexplicable losses- often on the biggest stages- in program history, literally couldn't have been worse on the road against our three biggest rivals, failed to develop any offensive position group save running back on par with his contemporaries, saw a high percentage of his more high profile recruits leave the team, and left an offensive line room desperate for bodies- much less championship talent.

All of these things can be and are true, and that has more or less been the thrust of the conversation for years. His most ardent critics have all taken opportunities to credit him for the things he did well. Why do y'all always have to turn it into such a dumb soap opera/pillow fight? 

PS- Imagine a coach looking average at a PAC 12 program that has been mediocre for decades and is situated in a talent desert of their own while also being able to beat a Mountain West program. That's just wild. Only slightly less wild than a coach looking average at a Big Six SEC school while still being able to thump Sun Belt schools. /s

• Like 3
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Jordan, Dye, Tubs all finished with a worse record, and that’s not accounting for the two gimme games that weren’t played with covid

whats next 

Yes. We have a long history of coaches going down in flames and ruining themselves. 

Gus bc others did it doesn't mean we can't point out Gus did it too

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Head coach gets fired, also has bad record the season he got fired 

A novel concept only applicable to Gus!!!!

Gus trended down every season from 2014. All bc of himself 

15 hours ago, DAG said:

Haha what? That is slightly over .500

That is completely different than a 9 win season. But this comes to another point and a major reason why Gus is gone. He had that same complacent thought and wanted to feast on teams with less talent. Quickly found it that will get you fired. 

And ok, give him that 9 win season. Break it down:

He would have beaten 3 cupcakes. fine.

He beat Ky( below .500 team).

He beat LSU( avg team this year w/ QB problems)

He beat the MIss teams( OM was avg, MSU was bad)

There are your 6/9 wins.

He lost to the better teams in the league AND lost to a bad team in USC. 

So no, his 9 win season in this Covid year would not have been any better than his 7-8 win seasons. 

Gus was a good coach, and 2 times in 8 years got us in the SECC, but never into the new playoff system....

• Like 1

Are other Auburn fans upset that we are supportive of our current coach and want to give him the benefit of a doubt ? Some of you guys got a terrible reading comprehension or you really aren’t happy with the CBH hire and it is showing ?

None of us have said this guy will be as successful as Nick Saban or having a better record than Gus as a HC, etc. if you can, find it and quote it. I do like the no nonsense approach because it resembles the method of two of the greatest coaches. If he wins , he will look amazing . If he losses , he will look like a fool. This thread got thrown way out of wack because there are a few who have more pride in defending Gus versus refuting the no nonsense component  of coaching 

• Like 1