2022 Transfer Portal Thread

ellitor

If we land 1 of these 2 big men, we are an elite SG away from being a national champion contender.

Praying every night that Elijah Fisher commits and reclassifies.

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

If we land 1 of these 2 big men, we are an elite SG away from being a national champion contender.

Broome has proven he can do it. BHH has not. Full of potential, but on proven results he’s a tier or two below Broome.

41 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

we are an elite SG away from being a national champion contender.

Unfortunately none are available.

42 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Wouldn't be to AU.

I don't think Auburn has a huge shooting guard problem if Flanigan is playing that position next year. The problem is that they then don't have another small forward body with Westry, unless they do bring Moore back (which can't possibly be the plan, I just refuse to believe it).

They just need a WING, more than a shooting guard per se 

5 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Neither has shown any ability to space the floor in college. 

Does this mean can't shoot the 3?

7 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Does this mean can't shoot the 3?

Pretty sure it means that as well as not having a mid-range game, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't think Auburn has a huge shooting guard problem if Flanigan is playing that position next year. The problem is that they then don't have another small forward body with Westry, unless they do bring Moore back (which can't possibly be the plan, I just refuse to believe it).

They just need a WING, more than a shooting guard per se 

@Dual-Threat Rigby What makes you think this? Especially the last sentence?  One of the bread & butters of a Bruce Pearl O is being good from 3 point range & right now this roster is not. So whether it's a 2G or a wing we need someone who can fill it up from downtown. Also I don't want no part of Flan as a 2G if his ball handling is anywhere near like it was last season.

• Like 6

Yeah. When we talk positions for big men, you have to think about how they effect the rest of the offense. Bruce likes to play 4 out. It’s not just about having a PF that can make threes, it’s about making sure the paint isn’t clogged with 2 post players + their defenders, so that there’s room for our perimeter guys to penetrate and there’s not a help-side defender immediately there when our big in the paint posts up. 

So I mentioned the spacing earlier just to say you wouldn’t necessarily want to play Broome and BHH (or Cardwell and BHH, etc) together for long stretches. (Caveat: some guys learn to shoot! We’ve seen it before.)

I think everyone is forgetting how highly rated Westry is. He is an excellent 3 pt shooter and I see him as a starter at either SG or SF.  He is a versatile guy who will log a lot of minutes somewhere. He can play pg too. 

Here's his NBA draft notes:

Chance Westry is a big combo guard with great ball handing, creativity, and a deep bag. He can play off the ball as needed and is a versatile player but is at his best breaking down the defense with the ball in his hands.

He’s great at penetrating the lane, collapsing the defense and dishing to teammates. He’s got special passing ability, quick, on point and perfectly timed.

Chance plays with a ton of confidence and seems to know he’s the man on the court. He’s a big shot maker and a leader in the clutch. His shooting form is solid and he’s got a soft touch. And he has all the makings of a future NBA range 3pt threat.

https://nbadraftroom.com/chance-westry/

Draft Projection

possible first round pick in the 2023 NBA Draft or 2024 NBA Draft

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

He is an excellent 3 pt shooter

I wouldn't say excellent. He's a better scorer right now than a 3 point shooter. But like Dunn basically said. He can get it going in college.

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

His shooting form is solid and he’s got a soft touch. And he has all the makings of a future NBA range 3pt threat.

This speaks of potential & does not mean he's excellent yet.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Dual-Threat Rigby What makes you think this? Especially the last sentence?  One of the bread & butters of a Bruce Pearl O is being good from 3 point range & right now this roster is not. So whether it's a 2G or a wing we need someone who can fill it up from downtown. Also I don't want no part of Flan as a 2G if his ball handling is anywhere near like it was last season.

E, like 70% of this post is finding a conflict that doesn’t exist in my post lol. I never said we don’t need a shooter. I’m speaking about people that think we just need a shooting guard, which is a position, not a player archetype or whatever. We have plenty of bodies that can play some shooting guard, and Flanigan is more than capable. If you choose to believe that the hurt version of him is more likely to be what we get than the non-hurt, that’s you. 

But anyway, my point was they just need a wing, which is a small forward or shooting guard. And they have more bodies that can play the SG than they do a small forward currently. People shouldn’t be viewing it as if we got a good SF but struck out on SGs that we failed to fill some massive hole 

16 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Does Chris Lofton have any eligibility left?

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 6:26 PM, Dunndone414 said:

Broome has proven he can do it. BHH has not. Full of potential, but on proven results he’s a tier or two below Broome.

100% agree - my accessment is based on the fact that I really believe BHH could have a Walker Kessler type transformation in this offense under Bruce. Dude is super-talented if used correctly.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Flanigan is more than capable

@Dual-Threat Rigby How so? Barring getting much better at ball handling & decision making than he's been the past 2 years he's not the answer at 2G.

On 4/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you choose to believe that the hurt version of him is more likely to be what we get than the non-hurt, that’s you. 

Nope. Do you remember how awful his decision making & ball handling was as a G playing out of position 2 years ago when he was healthy? Apparently not.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Dual-Threat Rigby How so? Barring getting much better at ball handling & decision making than he's been the past 2 years he's not the answer at 2G.

Nope. Do you remember how awful his decision making & ball handling was as a G playing out of position 2 years ago when he was healthy? Apparently not.

Yeah the team that was almost the worst in conference, and the one that was asking him to play point guard in his duties (as in, be a facilitator) not shooting guard. Markedly different! 

Not to sound condescending, but there’s virtually no roles that come as a requisite offensively from 2-4, and really 1-4 nowadays. You can be a small forward and be your team’s primary facilitator (LeBron James). You can be a power forward and be your team’s primary facilitator (Giannis did it for extended stretches under Jason Kidd, Julius Randle last season).

Can also be a guard and not be your team’s primary facilitator!!! Virtually every shooting guard isn’t that unless you have an emergency case (as we did during the season in question)

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah the team that was almost the worst in conference, and the one that was asking him to play point guard in his duties (as in, be a facilitator) not shooting guard. Markedly different! 

Yes PG has more ball handling duties but SC usually has 2nd most. & regardless of how bad the team was 2 years ago the ball handling mistakes & most of his pass turnovers were still on him. We have 2 years of evidence of him making poor decisions & handling the ball so I want no part of him in the backcourt barring a major improvement in those areas.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes PG has more ball handling duties but SC usually has 2nd most. & regardless of how bad the team was 2 years ago the ball handling mistakes & most of his pass turnovers were still on him. We have 2 years of evidence of him making poor decisions & handling the ball so I want no part of him in the backcourt barring a major improvement in those areas.

I understand where you are coming from but I think he can be a very effective SG.  One he is bigger the our other SG's so will be a defensive asset as opposed to a liability.  Two years ago when asked to play PG he was out of his element but still had a solid shot and was able to get to the rim and score. As an SG he won't have to be an all the time ball handler but if he works on making better decisions when passing he won't hurt us as SG. KD and Green were at the mercy of bigger SG's defensively and as they adjusted to Green's game they impacted his offense unless he was hitting 3's.  I thing right now Flanigan is our best option at SG even if not perfect.

27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I understand where you are coming from but I think he can be a very effective SG.  One he is bigger the our other SG's so will be a defensive asset as opposed to a liability.  Two years ago when asked to play PG he was out of his element but still had a solid shot and was able to get to the rim and score. As an SG he won't have to be an all the time ball handler but if he works on making better decisions when passing he won't hurt us as SG. KD and Green were at the mercy of bigger SG's defensively and as they adjusted to Green's game they impacted his offense unless he was hitting 3's.  I thing right now Flanigan is our best option at SG even if not perfect.

Based upon your logic, I think Westry would be the best option at SG even if not perfect...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Okay, that is your opinion. There’s more than enough positive stats, especially in terms of shooting, that would depict him being a more than fine starter, but you’re entitled to your perspective 

For anyone interested in seeing the type of player we had two years ago, here’s a good tweet displaying his heat map (as I call it): https://mobile.twitter.com/orangeanddrew/status/1508120902071955463

this is a guy who was largely playing out of his intended role, on a fairly bad team which equated to a lack of spacing and teams being able to key in on our few shot creators. And he was one of the best iso players in the conference and a 34% 3 point shooter on largely self created 3PAs. 

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Based upon your logic, I think Westry would be the best option at SG even if not perfect...

I could see that also.

Is there any interest in Emoni Bates? I know he just hit the portal and information will take a little bit to disseminate but would you want him? What if we get Phillips, would we want Bates too?

1 hour ago, PearlofWisdom said:

Is there any interest in Emoni Bates? I know he just hit the portal and information will take a little bit to disseminate but would you want him? What if we get Phillips, would we want Bates too?

Doubtful.