Softball vs Niagara series

The ladies beat Mercer 10-0 in 6 innings on Wednesday. Not able to watch or post live updates as much as I would like anymore.

Penta pitched 5 innings and gave up 1 hit. Dismukes with the other inning with no hits. Couple of homeruns from Ellis and Garcia. Ellis is getting closer and closer to breaking the Auburn rookie record for homeruns. I think she had 14 after the Mercer game and the record is 18.

First game of the Niagra double header and Auburn won 8-0 with a walk off in the 6th inning. Penta started and went 2 innings and didn't give up a hit. Dismukes relieved her and went the remaining 4 innings and only gave up 2 hits for the W. Peralta was absent from the lineup again (was also absent against Mercer) and a lot of people got in the game. Ellis hit another home run!

Next post will update the 2nd of the double header.

Edited by tgrogan21

Game is currently in the top of the 5th inning. Penta starts again, goes 2 innings gives up 0 hits but did give up a run (unearned) due to a passed ball.

Yarbrough comes on in relief goes 1.2 innings and gives up 4 hits, 6 runs (all earned), and 3 walks. Definitely not enough skill to pitch in the SEC.

Dismukes comes on in the middle of the 4th and so far has not given up a run on 1 hit.

Couple noticeable things on the Auburn offense: Lisenby and Blaine are both 4-4. Ellis is 2-2 with ANOTHER home run. If my math is correct that's 16. Only 2 shy of the record.

Auburn leads 15-7 in the top of the 5th.

Dismukes gets a 1-2-3 inning in the 5th to end it.

Auburn wins 15-7

Not playing SEC games will hopefully get the confidence back for the team. Definitely needed some easy W's.

Packer and Peralta both have been out of the lineup the last 3 games. Not sure if it's an injury or just trying to rest them this week.

2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Packer and Peralta both have been out of the lineup the last 3 games. Not sure if it's an injury or just trying to rest them this week.

Someone commented on Auburn Softball's Facebook page that Packer was hurt and would be back in a couple of games. He has since removed that comment. 

• Thanks 1

• tgrogan21 changed the title to Softball vs Niagara series
2 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Game is currently in the top of the 5th inning. Penta starts again, goes 2 innings gives up 0 hits but did give up a run (unearned) due to a passed ball.

Yarbrough comes on in relief goes 1.2 innings and gives up 4 hits, 6 runs (all earned), and 3 walks. Definitely not enough skill to pitch in the SEC.

Dismukes comes on in the middle of the 4th and so far has not given up a run on 1 hit.

Couple noticeable things on the Auburn offense: Lisenby and Blaine are both 4-4. Ellis is 2-2 with ANOTHER home run. If my math is correct that's 16. Only 2 shy of the record.

Auburn leads 15-7 in the top of the 5th.

Tgrogan your post got me entrigued so I went and read her bio and previous stats.. and after reading those I believe your post is inaccurate... I believe that Yarborough was stellar prior to covid and undefeated according to her stats precovid. Also I recall she was injured early both last year and this year. And the "definitely not enough skill" comment is not fair to the work that she or any of the other girls have put in... I am sure there are players that have things out of their control that affect their play. I wonder what she would have been had covid not shortened that season from seeing the accolades and reading her bio... War Eagle!!! Great job ladies!!! 

• Like 1

I feel like almost every time we wonder why we don't throw Sam more, outings like today confirm why. Not a lot of control from her and teams hit her well.

29 minutes ago, AUlurker said:

I feel like almost every time we wonder why we don't throw Sam more, outings like today confirm why. Not a lot of control from her and teams hit her well.

It is interesting how she hasn't got back to pre-covid form. Makes you wonder about just how bad she may be injured. Same with Lowe. Lowe is definitely injured as when Lowe goes out it seems as if she hasn't been as effective as before. Penta's game has improved with the more accurate off speed pitch. It may be a really quick finish to the season without a full battery in the circle. 

22 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Tgrogan your post got me entrigued so I went and read her bio and previous stats.. and after reading those I believe your post is inaccurate... I believe that Yarborough was stellar prior to covid and undefeated according to her stats precovid. Also I recall she was injured early both last year and this year. And the "definitely not enough skill" comment is not fair to the work that she or any of the other girls have put in... I am sure there are players that have things out of their control that affect their play. I wonder what she would have been had covid not shortened that season from seeing the accolades and reading her bio... War Eagle!!! Great job ladies!!! 

A more in depth look at her stats and it shows she has not pitched very much against SEC teams. I think only 5 times total with only 1 good game in 2020. Every other time she's pitched it's either been 1 inning or less or she got hit hard. Maybe it's injury or maybe it's talent because most of her good 2020 came against nonconference opponents. And when she's faced good or even mediocre teams this season she's given up a bunch of runs. She's a Senior this year but she could still use a covid year and maybe develop into a good relief pitcher for us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

A more in depth look at her stats and it shows she has not pitched very much against SEC teams. I think only 5 times total with only 1 good game in 2020. Every other time she's pitched it's either been 1 inning or less or she got hit hard. Maybe it's injury or maybe it's talent because most of her good 2020 came against nonconference opponents. And when she's faced good or even mediocre teams this season she's given up a bunch of runs. She's a Senior this year but she could still use a covid year and maybe develop into a good relief pitcher for us.

A 1 hit 7 inning game win against #18 Minnesota, and I believe the game against #7 UF she went 10 innings and we lost in the 11th. Both were high quality opponents.  Since then in 2021 and 2022 she has been injured in some form or fashion according to some of the things I have read and been told. Yarborough had a shoulder injury earlier this season and not sure what is was last year and I wonder exactly what Lowe's arm injury is as well. The wear and tear on the joint has to be taking a toll on all this pitchers that I am sure have played and practiced for years.. 

Yarbrough somehow seems to occasionally deliver the superb outing as noted above, but has never been consistent.  As a freshman at South Alabama in 2019, she had a 6-9 record on a below .500 team, with an ERA of 6.05.  My impression was that she was brought in to provide support for Swindle and Dismukes, along with Handley.  Bilodeaux and Harris had transferred out, and Martin had graduated.  So, I never really expected a lot of her.  Here is a link to the stats page at USA for 2019, if anyone is interested:  https://usajaguars.com/sports/softball/stats/2019

• Like 1