Finley named starting QB

GunsmithAU

T.J. Finley has won Auburn's starting quarterback job, sources told ESPN.

The Tigers open the 2022 season on Saturday against Mercer. Coach Bryan Harsin is expected to officially name Finley as the starter within the next 24 hours.

The 6-foot-7, 250-pound Finley had been competing this preseason with Oregon transfer Robby Ashford and Texas A&M transfer Zach Calzada for the starting job after Bo Nix transferred to Oregon this offseason. Finley started the final three games for Auburn last season after Nix suffered a season-ending ankle injury and came off the bench in the second half in Week 4 to rally Auburn past Georgia State for a 34-24 victory

5hChris Low

Power 5 predictions: Conference champions, top players and key storylines

2dMark Schlabach

The 20 teams that can make the College Football Playoff

3dHeather Dinich

After starting his career at LSU, Finley transferred to Auburn following the 2021 spring semester. He started in five games as a true freshman at LSU in 2020 and was 2-3 as a starter.

In 14 career games, Finley has thrown 11 touchdown passes and six interceptions to go along with two rushing touchdowns. He's the only returning quarterback from Auburn's team a year ago.

Harsin has been impressed this preseason with Finley's improved command of the offense under first-year coordinator Eric Kiesau. Finley's ability to extend plays gives him an added dimension, and he's also been more accurate as a passer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am glad a decision has been made and I will support him 100% but I have a feeling who does best in the 1st two cupcake games will really be the deciding factor. This is assuming we take care of business in these games if we don't take care of business it will be a long season. I am hoping that TJ has taken the next step and that we take care of business and we surprise the world.

• Like 2

Let's go. Everyone get behind him 100%. We all know where we all stand with our thoughts on him as a QB. Time to ride, for better or worse.

• Like 3

TJ has the arm and there’s no question there. What time will tell is if we will have the next Campbell or the next Johnson

First incomplete pass watch what happens. I told people he wasn't as bad as being made out and that the talent at QB was close for everybody. 

I predict the shortest leash in history and he doesn't get 20% of the support Bo did. Hopefully conditions get better that we can keep recruiting and finally get that QB that is wanted but is also actually great.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm scared about this season if I'm honest

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Have yourself a Ben Leard / Jason Campbell type season sir. Development and hard work. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

First incomplete pass watch what happens. I told people he wasn't as bad as being made out and that the talent at QB was close for everybody. 

I predict the shortest leash in history and he doesn't get 20% of the support Bo did. Hopefully conditions get better that we can keep recruiting and finally get that QB that is wanted but is also actually great.

I'm hoping for the best but I'm scared about this season if I'm honest

lol well if you saw some of the posting from yesterday when he threw an interception in the scrimmage a couple were already losing their minds. It will be a fun season. So ready to see what these group of guys will accomplish. 

• Like 2

Just now, Randman5000 said:

All the QBs got a fair shot.. Hope Finley has improved. Looking forward to football

I bet you we will see some ashford too. Really surprised about ZC though 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yeah that surprised me. It does give hope for the future with ZC being a redshirt sophomore, Ashford a RS Freshman. And the new freshman. I don't think we've had that potential in a long while. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

lol well if you saw some of the posting from yesterday when he threw an interception in the scrimmage a couple were already losing their minds. It will be a fun season. So ready to see what these group of guys will accomplish. 

If I was him I'm just throwing 5 yard passes like we've seen and praying on the running game, but I'm not taking those high risk throws in this position 😂  But that's him showing high character

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think I read somewhere that ZC never fully recovered from his injury and if that’s true then it’s not too surprising. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

I think I read somewhere that ZC never fully recovered from his injury and if that’s true then it’s not too surprising. 

Or Calzada was during the fall what Calzada was at Texas AM and Finley was better. There was always very little difference in the two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Harsin told ESPN and Low tweeted Jr before Harsin told the QBs or the team

🤡 move by our HC. Great start to the season

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Harsin told ESPN and Low tweeted Jr before Harsin told the QBs or the team

🤡 move by our HC. Great start to the season

Wait, how do we know the QBs weren’t told a while ago? Not trying to argue, just curious about the info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

Excited for what Ashford brings to the table.. think he will get playing time too

• Like 2