Marcus Davis Wide Receiver Coach

AuburnWarVet

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

Caddy is a former Top 10 draft pick, NFLvet, nfl offensive rookie of the year and legendary Auburn Runningback.

Thanks for my daily dose of stupid.  I feel better now that is over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Ahh yes because years of service translate into the quality of a coach they are. Got it. 

The irony of this post is befuddling 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Question.. How are position coaches graded? 🤔  Is recruiting prowess the most important? Do we blame Caddy if Hunter fumbles? Do we blame Davis if WR drops a pass? This hardline against Davis is mind numbing... I get it on coordinators who will be calling plays. But position coaches should be more about fostering Relationships and teaching techniques to their group. I ask the naysayers... Name me the Bama or Oh St or Clemson WR coach w/o googling

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Thanks for my daily dose of stupid.  I feel better now that is over.

I’m not against the guy. I hope he does well. The analytics thing is humorous. I just thought we’d do better. We had momentum with the quick and solid recruiting class. Guessing we missed on some better recruiters/coaches. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I’m not against the guy. I hope he does well. The analytics thing is humorous. I just thought we’d do better. We had momentum with the quick and solid recruiting class. Guessing we missed on some better recruiters/coaches. 

I think I saw that Freeze chose him over Peeler.

I will say this--he at least has connections to a key recruiting area for us, and I fully expect him to make an effort, which does put him above the Potato Gang by default.

Edited by AUwent

I get ya.

But hiring isn't exactly an exact science. And there isn't a search engine like Indeed to set it up for you.

And Freezone has a much greater coaching tree than Gus ever did. Plus, he knows how to really use WR's, as does Montgomery.

Trust me, big names don't always get it done for you...

• Thanks 1

Who are u referring to that we missed?

Look, at the end of the day I'm going back and forth with how I feel. Getting Faulk, Lee and Wade = awesome! But a staff full of Liberty transplants and Auburn alum with little to no P5 experience...what precedent is there for such a staff to be successful? The best teams in the SEC are chock full of proven P5 recruiters. The best teams we've ever had were recruited by proven P5 recruiters.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The irony of this post is befuddling 

I’m still trying to translate it. 😅

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gr82be said:

Yep, Zac Ethridge checks is at #21 in 247 rankings. That's pretty stout and Hugh gave him huge props. 

I think alot of our fans are sleeping on Zac's coaching ability. Most just think he is a great recruiter but the man can coach and he's a great mentor to our players. He has an amazing life story of perseverance and proved that if you are strong willed with a ton of fight, anything is possible. 

Coach Etheridge has everything that makes a coach great!!! He played the game, he is a top recruiter, he is young and a hard worker, he is someone that the kids can look up to, he is a heck of a coach and he's just a damn good person!!! 

If Zac wants to be a HC one day, I know he will be. I know I'm very bias but I just think that Zac has all the makings to be a great HC one day!! WDE

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, bootskii said:

I guess I have been out of the loop recently but I thought we hired Grant Heard as WR coach did something change?

You're WAY out of the loop!!

We hired Jacob Peeler as WR coach!! 😜

Just cutting up. We were rumored to be looking at Grant Heard. Short time later we were rumored to be hiring Missouri's WR coach, Jacob Peeler. The evening of early signing day Coach Freeze said he would hire a WR coach and a couple more off the field staff members at the start of 2023. 

Today Marcus Davis was rumored to be the new WR coach and some Auburn media have said he has been hired. He's a very good up and coming coach with strong ties to south Florida, as well as an Auburn alum. 

I really like this hire!!

Edited by TeamZero77

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

..what precedent is there for such a staff to be successful? 

This got me to thinking, and maybe it has already been answered, but who did Freeze bring in to Ole Miss that was established in the SEC? I'm sure somebody has spent the time looking into this question.

What I do know is that Freeze has done a good jump bringing life back into programs he has taken over and that gives us reason to trust him until we get a reasonable sample size on the field. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Several things jump off the page for Mr. Davis. I can guarantee Freeze had a private chat with Gus about the makeup of one Marcus Davis.

1) Auburn alum - Continuity. From Caddy, to Zac, and now Davis, who is the youngest. These 3 men bring a succession of playing experience from Tuberville, to Chizik, and finally Malzahn.

2) Education - Bachelor's in Communications, followed by a Master's degree in Education in rapid succession. Impressive.

3) Clear career path - Demonstrating growth and a drive to accept new challenges.

4) Leadership - Voted a Team Captain as a player. That screams respect in the locker room.

5) His home turf is South Florida. Grew up an hour north of Miami. Prime recruiting area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love the hire, young and relatable! The game is changing in all phases on and off the field therefore, you must adapt to stay relative to the change.

• Thanks 1

you guys forget money guys have put up millions to help freeze who he wants. and folks want to make fun of liberty coaches. why? hell they were giant killers. they beat teams that should have run them off the field. they would have done more but they starting qb was hurt. even the mighty saban struggles with that kind of stuff.look freeze screwed up and he knows it. he still talks about it. this is his chance at the good ol glory days.. this is his chance to rise up and show folks he screwed up, he knows it and he has something to prove. this is not mr potatoe head who was so sorry he was literally working on his tan while our recruiting tanked. this is not mr potatoe head who did not respect many of the coaches or players while he was destroying our program one day at a time. a great coach listens to his players and assistants. we stuck our neck out and gave this man a second chance at what he is good at. you folks do not think he knows how unpopular it was to hire him after the multitude of mistakes he made? i know at the end of the day it is about winning. i think we gave coach a chance when many wanted to but were afraid. he will repay our kindness.he will get us back to the elite and i believe he was have other schools thinking "oh crap here comes Auburn.........it is going to be a long day for us. this whining and crying before he has ever coached a game is just not rational.Auburn has been mostly fair that i know of and it is time to be fair to coach. if he fails do your due diligence and call him out. he was handed a crap show and he has already excelled more than most could or would. we hired the man so be fair and give him a chance. and if he fails then come down on him. but let him call a game or two guys. he is our coach. you have two choices................support the team or give up on the team.but if you give up on him and trash him daily please do not come back in here talking about how great he was all along.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeBoneAU said:

I love the hire, young and relatable! The game is changing in all phases on and off the field therefore, you must adapt to stay relative to the change.

This . He is tough and will produce results. He’s not that far removed from CFB . I’m excited to see what he can do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, honestly....you think it took Hugh 4 weeks to weed through all these top guys that wanted the job bc they didn't meet his vision and he all of a sudden found Marcus Davis at GA Southern, Auburn alum too, and BAM elite hire perfec fit!!

Yep,  exactly. When you know, you know. I have no idea who was a legit candidate for the job. I just choose to not loose sleep over what I have no control over…

• Thanks 1

hahaha .... laughing at the "insiders" who first gave us Heard, then gave us Peeler. Once again, they are SO informative. Which is why I ignore all the speculation about coaching hires and recruiting.

Tell me who signs on the contract line.

Can Davis deliver? Well, as with all the rest of Freeze's hires, We. Shall. See.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

I love that freeze understands the impact of players seeing guys that look like them in leadership positions. 

No coincidence also with what was being said about us the last couple of years

Just what was being said?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Yep,  exactly. When you know, you know. I have no idea who was a legit candidate for the job. I just choose to not loose sleep over what I have no control over…

Just magically worked out perfectly!!!