Interesting Article on Recruiting

Proud Tiger

Mandel's article looks back at the top classes of 99 through 03 and tells who he thinks actually had the best class based on college performance.

SI story

2000 No. 1: Florida

Standouts: DB Guss Scott, TE Ben Troupe

Starters: WR Kelvin Kight, WR Carlos Perez, DL Ian Scott, OL Shannon Snell, OL Max Starks

Busts: QB Brock Berlin (transferred to Miami), DB DeShawn Carter, RB Willie Green, DL Darrell Lee, DB Tre Orr

Assessment: Berlin was one of the most hyped recruits in years, so his failure to win the starting job at UF and subsequent transfer to Miami forever put a damper on this class, particularly when the Gators' slide to mediocrity began shortly thereafter under coach Ron Zook. In truth, the class wasn't a complete disaster like some Florida fans remember it, but it certainly didn't live up to its billing.

Who should've been: Auburn

Standouts: RB Ronnie Brown, QB Jason Campbell, LB Karlos Dansby, RB Rudi Johnson, DB Carlos Rogers, DB Junior Rosegreen

Starters: LB Bret Eddins, FB Brandon Johnson, DL Jay Ratliff

Busts: WR Silas Daniels, DL Marcus White (transferred to Murray State)

Assessment: Campbell was the only nationally-prominent name in a class that cracked just one major top-10 list, but he, Brown, Rogers and Rosegreen were all cornerstones of the Tigers' 13-0 season in 2004, while Dansby was an All-SEC performer and Rudi Johnson, a junior college transfer, was SEC Offensive Player of the Year in his one season with the Tigers.

After they graduate is the only way to rank the classes. Ranking them at the time of signing is nothing but hype and politics and is easily influenced by how many are signed rather than how many actually make it into school. But those schools who can't win on the field have to find something to make themselves feel better, even if everyone with a 9th grade education or better can see right through it.

wow what a great article I love to look at a class years later to see if all the hype was correct.......I have only been following recruiting for the past 3 years and It really becomes a hobby to see a player get recruited and then to see there progression is fun..........I looked back a couple of years ago at Utahs recruiting class and saw that alex Smith the overall #1 pick last year was a 2 star out of high school so I think its great to go back and rate classes from a production standpoint

Standouts: DB Julian Battle (All-SEC at Tennessee), DB Philip Buchanon, OL Vernon Carey, QB Ken Dorsey, WR Andre Johnson, OL Bryant McKinnie, RB Clinton Portis

Wow...that was one hell of a recruiting class

Archived