So much for voting your conscience!!

Donutboy

Lott called the bill "terrible," an extravagance in a time of budget deficits, and left no doubt he would vote against it.

But before he walked onto the Senate floor Monday afternoon, Bush administration lobbyists spoke to him privately to persuade Lott to vote with the president to overcome Democratic resistance.

Lott casts key vote to save Medicare bill he opposes

I wonder if they mussed his hair up when they talked to him!!! :D

I don't think a tornado would muss that hair!! As much hair spray as he's used, he's probably destroyed half of the ozone by himself!

Okay, is a senator supposed to vote his consience or vote the way the people want him to vote? So you are going to flame a guy who put his personal opinion aside because just maybe he got calls and e-mails from the majority of the people he represents that they wanted him to vote for the bill. Why is it that you guys flame him for doing it the way it is supposed to be done? Oh wait, I know why, because it does not fit in to your "spin" agenda. Go back to school and learn what government is all about. Polls done by all sorts of media outlets showed that the majority of Americans supported the bill, escpecially the polls of seniot citizens. The man voted the conscience of the majority of the people!

Ouch!!! I'm gonna tell my momma on you!!! :D

SO sorry - forgot that conservatives weren't allowed to make witty or smart ass replies to liberal spin postings. Won't happen again... :roll:

Okay, is a senator supposed to vote his consience or vote the way the people want him to vote? So you are going to flame a guy who put his personal opinion aside because just maybe he got calls and e-mails from the majority of the people he represents that they wanted him to vote for the bill. Why is it that you guys flame him for doing it the way it is supposed to be done? Oh wait, I know why, because it does not fit in to your "spin" agenda. Go back to school and learn what government is all about. Polls done by all sorts of media outlets showed that the majority of Americans supported the bill, escpecially the polls of seniot citizens. The man voted the conscience of the majority of the people!

Did you even read the story? He was still going to vote against it until Bush's lobbyists called and had a friendly chat with him. Personally, I don't know anyone who knows enough about the bill to either support it or be against it, unless told to call by NPR or some other source. Most of the ones who voted on it had not read it. It was a lengthy document and was put together in the back rooms and presented towards the end of the session, so that there would not be time for meaningful debate.

At least he voted. And maybe he just decided to be like Kerry and Lieberman - his one vote would not have made a difference in the outcome anyway, so why not vote party line and save the grief opposition would cause. If it is good enough and acceptabale in your minds for Kerry and Lieberman to not vote "because it made no difference", then it is a good enough reason for Lott to change his vote. To say any different would be hypocritical.

Jenny, you know as well as I do that these Senators know how everyone is going to vote on important legislation like this. If Lott had voted the other way the outcome would've been the same, even if Kerry and Lieberman had voted. It was going to take, what, five votes the other way to change the outcome. If their votes would've made a difference they would've been there.

IF Kerry and/or Lieberman's vote(s) had been the deciding factor and they weren't there, you bet your ass I'd be po'd and so would a lot of others.

Archived