Smelley from USc to Bama

ziggyg

I could only hope this kid becomes there QB but prob saw he wasnt much of a qb so goin to play baseball.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20090109..._South_Carolina

USC is a better baseball team than Bama. I guess he couldn't cut it there so ran home.

I could only hope this kid becomes there QB but prob saw he wasnt much of a qb so goin to play baseball.

USC is a better baseball team than Bama. I guess he couldn't cut it there so ran home.

Smelley has a lot of potential as a QB. I guess Sabear picked up an old trick from the Bear....

Smelley has a lot of potential as a QB. I guess Sabear picked up an old trick from the Bear....

You couldn't be less informed. Once he decides to play football, he counts against our scholarship numbers for football...even if he started out playing baseball.

Nice try though. A for effort.

You couldn't be less informed. Once he decides to play football, he counts against our scholarship numbers for football...even if he started out playing baseball.

Nice try though. A for effort.

I don't see that in the NCAA rulebook. He's coming to Bama on a baseball scholarship, although he's been at USC on a f-ball one. Wanna bet how long it takes until he's on th football field?

Nice try, though. I'll give you a B-.

I don't see that in the NCAA rulebook. He's coming to Bama on a baseball scholarship, although he's been at USC on a f-ball one. Wanna bet how long it takes until he's on th football field?

The rule is...EVEN if he starts out playing baseball, the second he switches to football (or plays both), he counts against our 85.

I'm not going to waste the time digging it up but it's the rule.

BG is right. The NCAA essentially has a priority list where scholarships apply. For example, Football over Basketball over Baseball over track over swimming. So a football player always counts against football's 85. And a swimmer would only count against swimming if he were only swimming. Its a rule aimed directly at those that let football get so big, they raided other sports for scholarships and muscling the basketball coach into recruiting a TE or a baseball coach to recruit a QB/pitcher that wouldn't count against football. From what I hear, Bryant was legendary. Its also one of the reasons in the old days that football coaches were AD's.

Bryant was the cause of the "priority" rule mentioned above as well as several other rules.

The B'ham News inadvertently ratted him out one recruiting season when they proudly announced that four all-state football players from Scottsboro would be attending Alabama on academic scholarships. The NCAA stepped in on that, and ever since then if a football player is on ANY sort of scholarship, he counts against the FB limits.

Bryant was the cause of the "priority" rule mentioned above as well as several other rules.

The B'ham News inadvertently ratted him out one recruiting season when they proudly announced that four all-state football players from Scottsboro would be attending Alabama on academic scholarships. The NCAA stepped in on that, and ever since then if a football player is on ANY sort of scholarship, he counts against the FB limits.

Actually, I don't think the rule applies to merit based academic scholarships. Or things like Hope scholarships. If that were the case, it would discourage smart kids from walking on because they would count against scholarship totals. I knew several baseball players at Auburn on academic scholarships.

Do you know any football players on academic scholarships? Do Georgia and Florida schools have football players on their gambling-money funded scholarships? Baseball players, yes, but I don't think FB players are.

I do stand to be corrected. It's been a long time since Bryant got slapped with that "academic scholarship" restriction, and things could have changed.

Do you know any football players on academic scholarships? Do Georgia and Florida schools have football players on their gambling-money funded scholarships? Baseball players, yes, but I don't think FB players are.

I do stand to be corrected. It's been a long time since Bryant got slapped with that "academic scholarship" restriction, and things could have changed.

Yes Georgia and Florida do have lottery funded players. I think Alabama and one other state are the only one's without a lottery. It comes up every year at the coaches meetings because Alabama/Auburn coaches think it helps the other schools bring in grey shirts and walk-ons.

USC is a better baseball team than Bama.

Since when?

Let me preface by saying I could be wrong

But South Carolina is one of the best baseball programs in the SEC. They always seem to be solid

USC has seen their baseball season end 2 of the last 3 years in Athens

Three years ago we beat them in the Supers to advance to the CWS

Last year NCState beat them in Athens Regional

South Carolina has yet to ever capitalize on their constant success with a CWS Title

Archived