More NCAA Rumors

buzzurd24

way to completely overlook is own autobiography where he admitted to paying players.... how convenient... Tell me, what happened to Texas A&M the year after the drunk left?? I'll give you a hint....uat has had them on campus 5 times in 14 years..... Then there's this little nugget.... If this isn't indicative of bryants corruption what is?? This is from one of your own ilk and not altered in any way,shape or form....

uatfanquoteeh2.jpg

I suppose you are ignoring the emoticon at the end of that post you copied? WT, he's making joke.

I'm not going to get into some "probation/NCAA discussion" with any of you guys because you know what it ends up being. It's nothing more than a pissing contest where the "most penalized team in the SEC" argument goes against whatever you want to bring into it.

It accomplishes NOTHING. Waste of time, pure and simple.

I do suppose I should have expected nothing less than the worn out attack on a man who has passed on over a quarter of a century ago.

you are full of s*** and you know it. He's not making a joke here at all. He's stating the way things were back then. Plain and simple. If you want to continue to live in your uat state of delusion that's up to you.

No, you really shouldn't expect anything less than us to vilify the most corrupt coach in the history of college football. You don't like it, you are welcome to go somewhere else where you can praise the almighty master of corruption that you called a coach. Here? he's Nothing...

Wartiger, I just have to ask you something and maybe I have misread you here but by you saying Bryant was "the almighty master of corruption that you called a coach", are you saying he was not even a good coach. If true, you are the first auburn fan I have heard say that. Whether he cheated or not, anybody that has followed college football knows the guy was a good coach. Don't get me wrong, I may have just misread you.

Of course you are gonna think "there's no way everybody in the world can't see that alabama had the greatest coach to ever live." All because he was at alabama and won 1,000 NC's and whatever other crap you dream up.

TigerHeat summed it up pretty well...but just so there's no confusion...

That's exactly what i'm saying. He was a hack of a coach that did nothing but skirt the rules, and undermine other programs so they didn't have any talent to work with. With the ncaa in his back pocket he could do most anything he wanted. He's the most over rated coach in the history of college football.. clear enough?

bryant was SCUM....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course you are gonna think "there's no way everybody in the world can't see that alabama had the greatest coach to ever live." All because he was at alabama and won 1,000 NC's and whatever other crap you dream up.

TigerHeat summed it up pretty well...but just so there's no confusion...

That's exactly what i'm saying. He was a hack of a coach that did nothing but skirt the rules, and undermine other programs so they didn't have any talent to work with. With the ncaa in his back pocket he could do most anything he wanted. He's the most over rated coach in the history of college football.. clear enough?

bryant was SCUM....

Help me out here.

If Coach Bryant was a "hack of a coach" and a "drunk" what does that mean when you look at the coaches he defeated in his tenure?

They were beaten by a "hack of a coach" and a "drunk?"

Seriously. Based on your characterization there were a lot of coaches that were beaten by a "hack" and a "drunk."

I guess we just see things differently. I suppose hair bands still rock in this century as well. Sure seems like I'm lost...

I demand equal time on this issue! You can't just concentrate on those few gliches in Bryant's character; you have to look at the body of work to truly appreciate his legacy. A legacy, mind you, that is still the heartbeat of the program today.

Everyone keeps talking about Bear being a hack and a cheat and a slime bag and a drunk. But no one is talking about the gambling and the point shaving and the physical assaults on students and the games he threw for money. What gives?

I demand equal time on this issue! You can't just concentrate on those few gliches in Bryant's character; you have to look at the body of work to truly appreciate his legacy. A legacy, mind you, that is still the heartbeat of the program today.

Everyone keeps talking about Bear being a hack and a cheat and a slime bag and a drunk. But no one is talking about the gambling and the point shaving and the physical assaults on students and the games he threw for money. What gives?

Did you read that in a book? If he done all that, then why didn't he go to jail? Why didn't he get fired? It is funny how an AU board is the only place you will hear things like that. I am sure the guy bent rules and was a hard ass but there were a lot of young men that wanted to play for him.

Did you read that in a book? If he done all that, then why didn't he go to jail? Why didn't he get fired? It is funny how an AU board is the only place you will hear things like that. I am sure the guy bent rules and was a hard ass but there were a lot of young men that wanted to play for him.

It is a matter of public record - after back-to-back national championships Bear's 9-2-1 '81 Tide team lost to the Bill Curry coached Georgia Tech team that was 2-19 over two seasons. . . at home. Apparently Bryant had GT to win outright. As for the point shaving there has been a book written about it by James Kirby entitled Fumble: Bear Bryant, Wally Butts and the Great College Football Scandal. Here's a library summary of the book:

A 1963 Saturday Evening Post story had charged Butts, former Georgia football coach, and "Bear" Bryant, Alabama's coach, with fixing a 1962 game. Butts soon sued for libel; Bryant had sued the Post ealier for alleging brutality in an earlier game. An official observer at the trial, Kirby gives the story as the case progressed finally to the Supreme Court adding his own opinion that the Post lost through its attorneys' blunders. Libraries owning Bryant's Bear (1974. o.p.) and Matthew J. Culligan's Curtis-Culligan Story (1970. o.p.) will find these more succinct though less objective than this lumbering case treatment.

You should read it; there is no shame in reading a book.

It is a matter of public record - after back-to-back national championships Bear's 9-2-1 '81 Tide team lost to the Bill Curry coached Georgia Tech team that was 2-19 over two seasons. . . at home. Apparently Bryant had GT to win outright. As for the point shaving there has been a book written about it by James Kirby entitled Fumble: Bear Bryant, Wally Butts and the Great College Football Scandal. Here's a library summary of the book:

A 1963 Saturday Evening Post story had charged Butts, former Georgia football coach, and "Bear" Bryant, Alabama's coach, with fixing a 1962 game. Butts soon sued for libel; Bryant had sued the Post ealier for alleging brutality in an earlier game. An official observer at the trial, Kirby gives the story as the case progressed finally to the Supreme Court adding his own opinion that the Post lost through its attorneys' blunders. Libraries owning Bryant's Bear (1974. o.p.) and Matthew J. Culligan's Curtis-Culligan Story (1970. o.p.) will find these more succinct though less objective than this lumbering case treatment.

Don't believe everything you read. Obviously he didn't get fired or sent to jail, so what does that tell me? Lack of evidence? Curtis Publishing Co. lost the defamation suit. That tells me a lot.

Don't believe everything you read. Obviously he didn't get fired or sent to jail, so what does that tell me? Lack of evidence? Curtis Publishing Co. lost the defamation suit. That tells me a lot.

Fired? Bryant could have beaten Mahatma Gandhi with a crow bar on the Bob Hope Christmas Special while pledging his undying love for Satan and Bama wouldn't have fired him. As far as evidence, it mysteriously disappeared from an evidence locker and the witness changed his testimony after moving into brand new 3500 square foot house that was paid for in cash.

But you are right, don't believe everything you read. I don't ever believe Bama fans who write, "Bear didn't do it."

Deep down in your heart of hearts you know that Bryant was guilty. When you refute that you sound like a woman trying on a pair of pants from last summer who says, "Oooh these must have shrunk in the closet."

Let's see what happens this year when you have your new coach against our new coach.

If you're hoping for Saban to leave before the Iron Bowl this year so your new coach actually has a chance, you are going to be highly disappointed.

Was it a Freudian slip where Argo mentioned someone's need to get laid with his own Saban idolatry in the same thread? I always thought the Bammer faithful had some homo-erotic relationship with Nicky. That's why they have all the photoshops of him holding the crystal trophy with Sarah Jessica and others.

Let's see what happens this year when you have your new coach against our new coach.

If you're hoping for Saban to leave before the Iron Bowl this year so your new coach actually has a chance, you are going to be highly disappointed.

Was it a Freudian slip where Argo mentioned someone's need to get laid with his own Saban idolatry in the same thread? I always thought the Bammer faithful had some homo-erotic relationship with Nicky. That's why they have all the photoshops of him holding the crystal trophy with Sarah Jessica and others.

Yeah, that's it. I'm certain my "get laid" comment had nothing to do with WarTiger about to blow a hair plug over a simple conversation about a man who died over 25 years ago.

I've said this before too: Al Capone was this country's most notorious gangster involved in all manner of gangster murder & mayhem, racketeering, bootlegging & prostitution. The feds never could make any criminal charges stick against Big Al except for the one he went to jail for: tax evasion. So, by your logic above ... we should never refer to Al Capone as a murdering gangster. but only excoriate him for cheating on his taxes.

If that's too cerebral for you I'll put it in terms you can understand: you can call Kenny Stabler a tax cheat but don't say he's a 3-time drunk driver. Capiche?

I've said this before too: Al Capone was this country's most notorious gangster involved in all manner of gangster murder & mayhem, racketeering, bootlegging & prostitution. The feds never could make any criminal charges stick against Big Al except for the one he went to jail for: tax evasion. So, by your logic above ... we should never refer to Al Capone as a murdering gangster. but only excoriate him for cheating on his taxes.

If that's too cerebral for you I'll put it in terms you can understand: you can call Kenny Stabler a tax cheat but don't say he's a 3-time drunk driver. Capiche?

Funny, you guys keep talking about a drunk cheater...and your favorite coach is Pat Dye.

If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

Funny, you guys keep talking about a drunk cheater...and your favorite coach is Pat Dye.

So you admit Bear was a drunk cheater? :roflol:

So you admit Bear was a drunk cheater? :roflol:

Do you admit Pat Dye was?

Actually, BG, Shug Jordan is our favorite coach. Once, another coach was quoted as saying in reference to Shug, "That man has more courage in his pinky than I have in my whole body." The coach who said that was Bear Bryant as he saw Shug entering a cancer clinic in Birmingham.

Actually, BG, Shug Jordan is our favorite coach. Once, another coach was quoted as saying in reference to Shug, "That man has more courage in his pinky than I have in my whole body." The coach who said that was Bear Bryant as he saw Shug entering a cancer clinic in Birmingham.

Shug may be your favorite coach, but Pat Dye's your most known and talked about. And your biggest stab at Bryant is always that he was a drunk.

Rarely, to this day, does Dye do an interview sober.

Archived