Guitar question

4AUsince62

My 12 soon to be 13 year old daughter wants a guitar (acoustic) for Christmas. :dunno: Looking for a good starter, something she can grow into. Not too cheap but good for the money if she sticks with it. I shop alot on Amazon, that or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My 12 soon to be 13 year old daughter wants a guitar (acoustic) for Christmas. :dunno: Looking for a good starter, something she can grow into. Not too cheap but good for the money if she sticks with it. I shop alot on Amazon, that or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can find some good deals at a music store on what could be termed a starter instrument. I would suggest that because it gives you access to their service when she needs help, like re-stringing for the first time and even access to lessons or the chance to network and talk with people who share her interest. Hope it helps.

I will tell you the best starter guitar for the value.  It plays easy and has great sound.  High quality for the price.

clicky: http://www.gremlinmusic.co.uk/

I went to a guy who makes guitars in my hometown of Columbus, Ga. for my first guitar.  His name was Mac McCormick of McCormick guitars.  Unfortunately he has recently passed away.  He made guitars for many stars in the music industry, including the great Chet Adkins.  Some of his guitars went for upwards of $30,000. 

Anyways, my point is that this guy knew his stuff and when someone would come to him for a quality beginner guitar for a decent price he would always hook them up with a Gremlin.  I have two of them and love both of them.  I have since upgraded to a more expensive Seagull but still love playing those old guitars.  They have such a rich tone and play so easy for the price.

Alvarez is inexpensive pretty good, Fender makes really nice Accoustic guitars, and you can find some over at the Guitar Shoppe near Hastings as well as get lessons.  I have been taking lessons there for a year I enjoy it, but i'm still not a jukebox hero takes years especially when you learn with the blues.

Get her a Fender Acoustic. They aren't Bad. Maybe an Ibanez wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Ibanez has pretty quality stuff and for some reason it isn't expensive.

Ide go with one of those 2 for a starter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

I have played the guitar and dobro for many years and have bought many quality instruments through the years from Musicians Friend. I have taught several youngsters to play the guitar and this is one of the most critical elements in learning to play. If the guitar is hard to play, they will lose interest real quick. IMO you need to make sure that the instrument is easily chorded with low string action, with a small neck. If you want to spend the money for an instrument that you could recoup your investment on, consider a "Little Martin" or a "Baby Taylor". Don't confuse the Baby Taylor with the "Big Baby Taylor". These are quality instruments that are easy to play and actually have some value to them if you decide to sell it. They also sound good for their price. JMO.

Get her a Fender Acoustic. They aren't Bad. Maybe an Ibanez wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Ibanez has pretty quality stuff and for some reason it isn't expensive.

Ide go with one of those 2 for a starter.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

I have played the guitar and dobro for many years and have bought many quality instruments through the years from Musicians Friend. I have taught several youngsters to play the guitar and this is one of the most critical elements in learning to play. If the guitar is hard to play, they will lose interest real quick. IMO you need to make sure that the instrument is easily chorded with low string action, with a small neck. If you want to spend the money for an instrument that you could recoup your investment on, consider a "Little Martin" or a "Baby Taylor". Don't confuse the Baby Taylor with the "Big Baby Taylor". These are quality instruments that are easy to play and actually have some value to them if you decide to sell it. They also sound good for their price. JMO.

^THIS!^  It is so critical to find a smooth, easy playing guitar.

Archived