Anybody Remember?

DecaturAU

Anybody remember Cecil's quote about not wanting his son to go to miss state and be a rented mule? I though that was just a jab about a lack of supporting cast that would be around cam there but now it can take on a whole new meaning. Possibly very, very discretly hinting at being paid to go there and play? Thoughts?

That sounds familiar, but I do remember him saying that he thought the world of Dan, but at Auburn Cam would be playing with 4*/5* players and at MSU he would be surrounded by 3*s.

War Eagle !

Hmm...interesting.  Ok, I got another for you.  Using the same logic, his statement that a scholarship wouldn't be enough would reference the lack of a supporting cast at miss st or the slim chance of winning a championship (NCTiger posted while I was typing).  How about his statement after Cam commited to Auburn, "the money was too much."  You could take it to mean that the offer was the last straw and they didn't want any part of a situation like that.  I like the way you think, Decatur....and NCTiger.  

Why would MSU offer to pay Cam and then turn that into the SEC. That makes no sense. And no MSU jokes here. It really makes no sense at all.

Umm...not being serious, baller.  Just trying to make light of a stressfull situation.  :dunno:

Why would MSU offer to pay Cam and then turn that into the SEC. That makes no sense. And no MSU jokes here. It really makes no sense at all.

Im not real sure, but remember right now all the allegations are between MSU and the Newtons. I think its pretty obvious AU didnt offer him money. Maybe this is where the whole Rogers and Bond thing comes into play. But this is all speculation as is everything else out there. Im just trying to find anythin I can that makes sense, of course its a waste of time but it passed my time

But also if you take that rented mule statement and interpret it as he meant he has to do all the work himself if he plays at MSU then that goes along with his statement of he needs a lot more than a scholarship to play at MSU. "More" meaning help in the form of linemen, receivers, playmakers, etc.

Rented Mule is an old southern country expression. 

It is an expression of mistreatment.  Nobody beats their own mule like they beat a rented mule. 

Country people in the 1930s through 1950s who plowed mules commonly used these expressions.  Cecil is just showing his southern country roots in this expression.

This is a saying from Depression era.  Those people worked all day for 50 cents.  Rent for the mule was usually paid in share of crops.  Usually had to go to a rich man's house to find scales to share the crops.

Archived