LaDarius Phillips

HardFightingSoldier

Getting looks at DT in Bowl Practice. Kid's an athletic freak. Would be tough to block with how quick he is and he's 290 right now.

... He needs to be our own version of Champ Bailey and play both ways. I believe Champ set the record at 108 plays in one game.

.... 110 plays per game average sounds about right to me.  :dunno:

Men that big cant play 100+ plays. Period.

I think we need a power running back in those short yardage situations. We really haven't had a true FB since Slaughter...and he was a monster, a very apropriate name.

I think he could potentially be as tough to defend as Fairley on the defensive side as well.

Tough decision, but one I am glad we have the priviledge to make!

FBs aren't used in traditional roles anymore it seems. That being said, Eric Smith was recruited as a true FB wasn't he. He's done well at the Hback which is pretty close to a FB....or maybe I'm completely wrong  :dunno:

FBs aren't used in traditional roles anymore it seems. That being said, Eric Smith was recruited as a true FB wasn't he. He's done well at the Hback which is pretty close to a FB....or maybe I'm completely wrong  :dunno:

H-Back is like a hybrid fullback/TE. The H-back has to have the ability to block and receive out of the backfield if needed.

Surely we're not gonna burn a red shirt? Did something happen to one of our other DT's ?

Well...someone posted a rumor this afternoon on the board that Fairley was ruled academically ineligible for the bowl game.  Rumor was deleted.  Not trying to start anything, but did notice the thread.

The coaching staff won't burn a redshirt this late in the year for anyone...especially for someone playing a new position.  The coaches are using the bowl practice to get some early looks for spring.  Years ago, the former coaching staff moved Brandon Jacobs to DE for bowl practice.  We know what happened next.  From the videos I've seen of Phillips, he reminds me of another former FB recruit the coaches moved to DT, Tez Doolittle.  Eventually that worked out well.

:believe:

Phillip Marshall debunked that rumor by saying he has heard nothing about Fairley or anyone else having academic problems (except maybe a couple of walk-ons). He said you only have to pass six hours to be eligible to play in the bowl.

One of the major advantages to bowl practice is extra practice time. Now I doubt any coach preparing for a National Title game would waste time by practicing purely for the next season. Maybe he is on the scout team. Maybe it's just to get him some looks going into spring practice. He won't play in the bowl game, but there are a few reasons for him to practice.

Surely we're not gonna burn a red shirt? Did something happen to one of our other DT's ?

Well...someone posted a rumor this afternoon on the board that Fairley was ruled academically ineligible for the bowl game.  Rumor was deleted.  Not trying to start anything, but did notice the thread.

The user that posted that had a post count of 5 I think. Just sayin'

Could this mean that he's playing DT on the scout team and that he wasn't before. This would satisfy both: he is getting looked at for DT, and not burning redshirt.

We can still evaluate talent and work for the Oregon game. Coaches do this every week as they prepare for the next game. Football coaches are great at paying attention to many different things at once.

Correction, it was 3.lol. Get it right man geez. He is much more credible with 3.

Of course that doesn't make much sense either seeing that I have about 2,000 something post and I have no cred.  :-[

But hey thats okay!  :thumbsup:

Correction, it was 3.lol. Get it right man geez. He is much more credible with 3.

Of course that doesn't make much sense either seeing that I have about 2,000 something post and I have no cred.  :-[

But hey thats okay!  :thumbsup:

LOL I'm just saying it's classic Bammer or Tiger Droppings to create an account  to post "rumors" or inside info in an attempt to get some folks all fired up  :laugh:

and you know you have plenty of cred around these parts :)

I think LP's future is at DT. 

It makes sense to have him in the DT rotation instead of offensive short yardage situations.  Reminds me a little of Sen'Dezzy Marks.

jmo.

:we:

Archived