Shon Coleman

NLAuburn

I heard/saw that Shon Coleman is in Auburn taking classes.  Does he count towards this years class or last years class?  I don't see his name on Rivals so I assume that he is couted towards last year.  Can someone clarify?

I heard/saw that Shon Coleman is in Auburn taking classes.  Does he count towards this years class or last years class?  I don't see his name on Rivals so I assume that he is couted towards last year.  Can someone clarify?

Actually it will either be in this year's class or next year's class. The NCAA has not ruled on it yet.

I can't see him being in the 2012 class if hes already taking classes in the beginning of 2011.

Medical redshirt my friend.

But you would still be counted as the class you came in on....right? I don't rpetend to know what I'm talking about but that seems logical....right?

But you would still be counted as the class you came in on....right? I don't rpetend to know what I'm talking about but that seems logical....right?

No he won't count on the 2010 class. He didn't enroll which means he won't count for that year. He has enrolled and is in class now. That would put him in the 2011 class but we are trying to move him to the 2012 class since he won't be able to see action until then.

I've talked with Shon a couple of times since he enrolled. Did not ask him when he might play (thought that would be inappropriate) but I can tell you this... He looks fantastic!!! I've spoken with Shon, O'Reilly and Dismukes. Our future OL looks AUsome... trust me!!!  WDE

I've talked with Shon a couple of times since he enrolled. Did not ask him when he might play (thought that would be inappropriate) but I can tell you this... He looks fantastic!!! I've spoken with Shon, O'Reilly and Dismukes. Our future OL looks AUsome... trust me!!!  WDE

He still has another year of recovery so I would not expect it before 2012.

Because of his circumstances and the fact that he will not be physically ready to actually compete until 2012, the coaches are petitioning the NCAA for him to be able to count toward the 2012 class, and I think they expect it will be upheld.

If he is enrolled now but counts toward next years  class then how does his scholarship work?  Who is paying now?  I imagine his family would be in a tight just from his medical issues.  Just curious how it works. 

If he is enrolled now but counts toward next years  class then how does his scholarship work?  Who is paying now?  I imagine his family would be in a tight just from his medical issues.  Just curious how it works. 

The school is paying now. Appealing for a special medical redshirt like they are doing, does not affect who is paying for his education.

When should we expect a resolution to the issue? NSD is coming up quick and AU is tight on numbers.

I would think that if AU is paying his way(via scholly), then he would count toward the 2011 class(much like Dismukes & O'Reilly). It would have made more sense to petition for it to count backwards but the spot was used. Medical redshirt is most likely to count toward 2011. Medical hardship on the other hand, I have no idea.

Surely there is no way Shon Coleman would be denied a medical redshirt. The kid is battling cancer, so it's not even a borderline case. It should be a slam dunk.

he dont need a medical redshirt. he will simply not play in '11. then has 4 years to play 4 just like all atheletes. the petition needs to be handled promptly by ncaa and i suspect it will be. the ruling on this might determine if we have room for k frost or another player's offer that may be a pending greyshrit.

he dont need a medical redshirt. he will simply not play in '11. then has 4 years to play 4 just like all atheletes. the petition needs to be handled promptly by ncaa and i suspect it will be. the ruling on this might determine if we have room for k frost or another player's offer that may be a pending greyshrit.

The thing is that he is certainly not going to play. He's not physically strong enough. He probably will need next year and the one after that in order to get there; that's why we're pushing for the special medical redshirt. The coaches have been pretty confident that this will go through for quite some time, so I imagine that it will.

Archived