DeAngelo Benton

54autiger

It's now or never. He's been here for two seasons and hasn't been able to get on the field. Honestly, I'm not so sure he will breakout. Hope he proves me wrong  ;)

Well out of all the times i've seen him get a chance to be on the field he runs good routes and has the ability to get open, but it just seemed like he couldn't hold on to the ball. I do think Trotter to Benton sounds really nice.  ;D

Well out of all the times i've seen him get a chance to be on the field he runs good routes and has the ability to get open, but it just seemed like he couldn't hold on to the ball. I do think Trotter to Benton sounds really nice.  ;D

Consistency in his route-running has not been one of his best attributes.

fwiw he played the same position as darvin adams(x receiver)....darvin rarely came out

i think Benton will definitely come along, im not expecting production like Darvin but who knows, noone saw Darvin coming back in 09

fwiw he played the same position as darvin adams(x receiver)....darvin rarely came out

If he had really improved and showed that he could play, the coaches would've found a way to play him

^^^ i think he has talent but we will see.

I am predicting a breakout year for this guy next season. Like Coach Troop said "He's going to erase the record books before hes done here" and I totally believe that!   :we:

He has a chance to be special.

Benton is the physical reciever we have been missing.

Mark my words. Blake and Benton will be starting opposite each other come Utah State  ;D

^^^^ X 1000

I think some of you doubters are going to be very surprised come September! War Eagle!!

I agree.  He runs crisp routes.  He dropped just about everything that was thrown his way the first half of 2009 and he hardly saw the field except on special teams after that.  I think he'll prove to be a great receiver for us this year.

Trooper has been very high on Benton since the beginning. He promised that records will be set with this kid. Benton has been through injuries and has missed football for two years. He's has all the athletic ability in the world, its just a matter of him staying healthy to reach his full potential. 2011 just might be the year.

If he had really improved and showed that he could play, the coaches would've found a way to play him

Behind the wrong guy

Wide receiver DeAngelo Benton is having trouble finding playing time behind top receiver Darvin Adams.  Darvin Adams is to blame for that, Taylor said.

"He's in a tough spot because he backs up Darvin, and Darvin doesn't come out a lot,'' Taylor said.

“(Benton) has helped us on special teams, and there are a few specific plays we have for him if the defense gives us ‘that’ look. But he’s improved a bunch.”

Benton missed most of August camp with a broken hand, an injury that garnered little sympathy from Taylor. He caught six passes as a freshman last year, all of which came in Auburn’s homecoming rout over Furman.

Consistency in his route-running has not been one of his best attributes.

Stat has spoken. I know there's a difference of opinion on the board. We're pulling for you DeAngelo!

• 1 month later...

I still think benton may get passed up in the fall but appearently the LA trio is making an impression this spring.

Wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor acknowledged how young his receiving corps is. “It’s going to take time – take time with the quarterbacks, take time with their routes,” he said. “It’s a work in progress.” Said he’s been impressed so far by Trovon Reed and DeAngelo Benton, who he said has had his best two practices.

Benton has a fresh outlook this spring after being hampered by injuries. He had a wrist injury in August last year, then hurt his ankle against Kentucky. But he’s healthy now and feels like he has an understanding of the offense. “It’s an opportunity for everyone,” he said. “Nobody has the starting spot right now. So it’s an opportunity to compete and go against each other every day to get better.”

Trooper on Benton: “If he’ll stay healthy, everything I’ve told you about DeAngelo as far as setting record, he has all that ability. But he’s just got to stay healthy. If he stays healthy, he’ll hit everything we talked about.”

Injuries are obviously a concern in the thing receiving group. Travante Stallworth tweaked a hamstring and was held out Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still think benton may get passed up in the fall but appearently the LA trio is making an impression this spring.

Wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor acknowledged how young his receiving corps is. “It’s going to take time – take time with the quarterbacks, take time with their routes,” he said. “It’s a work in progress.” Said he’s been impressed so far by Trovon Reed and DeAngelo Benton, who he said has had his best two practices.

Benton has a fresh outlook this spring after being hampered by injuries. He had a wrist injury in August last year, then hurt his ankle against Kentucky. But he’s healthy now and feels like he has an understanding of the offense. “It’s an opportunity for everyone,” he said. “Nobody has the starting spot right now. So it’s an opportunity to compete and go against each other every day to get better.”

Trooper on Benton: “If he’ll stay healthy, everything I’ve told you about DeAngelo as far as setting record, he has all that ability. But he’s just got to stay healthy. If he stays healthy, he’ll hit everything we talked about.”

Injuries are obviously a concern in the thing receiving group. Travante Stallworth tweaked a hamstring and was held out Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DLO is my favorite player on this team and I still believe 100% that he will have a breakout year. He didn't play an entire year of football prior to getting to Auburn, but now I believe its his time to shine. The WR depth chart is WIDE OPEN this year.

Benton, Carr and Blake will be the starters IMO.

Archived