Has Coach Barbee set himself up for 2011-2012 coach of the year?

wareagle0182

Auburn is last in the SEC this year not only in wins/losses but other categories with underclassmen and walk-ons with sporadic sparks of flash....

With the talent expected to pour on the plains next year for basketball, do not be surprised to see Auburn compete for the SEC West and more with Coach Barbee taking in a few awards.....

Coach Barbee strongly dislikes losing as he as been quoted as saying......its a perfect storm brewing....

I hope you're right. I really like Coach Barbee, but I must admit I'm a little disappointed. I realize the talent level is extremely low and I didn't have really high expectations for this team, but I also didn't think we'd be the worst team in the country.

wareagle0182, aren't you kinda jumping the gun a big?

my point is Auburn will most likely finish 2-14 in the SEC this year with my optimism still up for 4-12.  If Auburn wins 10+ SEC games next year he puts his name out there in the mix for SEC coach of the year, it would be a huge turnaround from just 2 wins the year before.....

I can think of 3 SEC games this year Auburn lost near the Buzzer.....

I'm with ya. Call me a sunshine pumper, but as long as Barbee is here, I think we'll be an sec powerhouse in a few years. He coached circles around Grant and Arky's hc, and came oh so close to knocking them off

I am not trying to down the current team, but for getting even 2 SEC wins this year with what he has to work with, he should get SEC Coach of the Year.  There is nothing close to SEC talent on our team this year.  It is not Barbee's fault that Lebo the Loser left him with what he has to work with and injuries decimated what little was left.

I am extremely hopeful that Barbee will have us challenging for the SEC title and in the big dance soon.

War Eagle!!

:wedance:

What Barbee has done with this team is nothing short of astounding. To criticize the record and not seeing the progress is crazy to me. This team came into this year in total disarray, totally new coaching staff and is busting it's tails off actually competing with teams that are head and shoulders more physically talented. I just do not get what people expected this year beyond what is happening...

I just hope he teaches em how to shoot rebounds and boxing out over the offseason... If we shot 70 percent from FT we would have won 5 maybe even 6 more games....

Very true. The word is that the team doesn't even practice shooting. The practices are all about defense and the defense has improved quite a bit as the season has gone on. Defense was the reason we lost to some questionable teams in the preconference part of the schedule. Our defense has kept us in a lot of games and given us the chance to win. If we were able to hit the freebies, we would have more wins. I agree with the practices being about defense. I wish the guys would focus on shooting free throws more as well. I'm not at the practices so I have no idea how much the practice on what. I do remember reading a article where TB stated that about the defense. We don't get to the line much but we have to his at least 70% as a team when we do get there though.

Archived