Just a little FYI for ya' on Barbee...

A coach who is not a "supporter" of a certain brand will not be invited to those clinics/tourneys/or have access to the AAU leagues sponsored by certain brands(read Nike) where most good HS players spend their off season playing ball and getting seen. If you are affiliated with Under Armour, Nike is not going to be welcoming to your presence. I'm sure these are not the only answers to your question.

They can still attend the tournaments but like you said they don't get anywhere near the same access as a school that shares affiliation with the shoe company sponsoring the tourney.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't an solution be to take the apparel contracts away from the individual schools and have it decided by the conference, or NCAA?    Don't pro teams have to abide by what the league negotiates?  I know all NHL players wear Reebok jerseys, etc.

The SEC could negotiate a deal and evenly spread the money to all the schools. 

:dunno:

Wouldn't an solution be to take the apparel contracts away from the individual schools and have it decided by the conference, or NCAA?    Don't pro teams have to abide by what the league negotiates?   I know all NHL players wear Reebok jerseys, etc.

The SEC could negotiate a deal and evenly spread the money to all the schools. 

:dunno:

No way. That makes too much sense. The NCAA will never do that. Ha!

I heard a caller on Sports Talk here in Auburn a few days ago mentioned a letter that Barbee had sent out to some season ticket holders or Tigers Unlimited donors.  I can't recall all of the details in the letter but Barbee was basically saying he was proud of the effort and the fight he saw from the team last year, but disappointed in the outcome.  He said he expects a vast improvement moving forward.  He then mentioned his commitment to Auburn basketball, Auburn University, the Auburn family, and the Auburn community.  He is excited to learn more about our athletic programs, our tradition, and the Auburn Family.  After hearing what was written in the letter, any doubts I might've had about his future here at Auburn were gone.  I am confident he'll be our coach for the next several yrs, and hopefully longer. 

I am nowhere near an insider, and I don't have any top secret knowledge of the situation...I just find it hard to believe he would pen a letter like that and send it out if he was actively looking for work elsewhere.  I think if anyone could find a copy of the letter and post it, you would agree with me. 

Like I said, he really loves it here and wants to stay here.  He is, however, pretty much demanding some cooperation from our admin. to help him change the overall Auburn basketball culture.  They have clashed on several issues since his hiring.  This is what is troubling when you start hearing of other decent programs having interest in him.  It's really a good thing that he's making as much here as he is already.  I'm hearing that both parties are atleast working to get it all ironed out.

What could the issue be?  Is it over the UA contract?  Is he not getting enough money for his assistants?  Not enough money in the recruiting budget?  I so want AU to be good in basketball.  If programs like VCU and Butler can be this good then AU can at least be a top 30 program.  Oh and having a great basketball team being cheered on by a full house to bring football recruits to see isn't going to hurt us.  :'(

There is no reason that we can not be just like UF and have a championship Football and Basketball program.  I think Barbee could do that here.  I think he is a stellar coach and a great recruiter.  We are extremely fortunate to have him here.

War Eagle!!

:wedance:

Good news, folks!  I have been updated on this situation and am hearing some very promising info.  Like I said, he's loves it here in Auburn.  There's just been some problems arise between he and our admin. on several different issues.  It appears as though a lot of it has been worked out now to the point where Coach Barbee is atleast somewhat satisfied. 

I believe they received a nice little wakeup call when other schools started making it known that they were interested in him.  He was given atleast a preliminary offer of some kind by atleast two different schools.

'Just wanted to pass on what I'm hearing.  WDE!!!

Good news, folks!  I have been updated on this situation and am hearing some very promising info.  Like I said, he's loves it here in Auburn.  There's just been some problems arise between he and our admin. on several different issues.  It appears as though a lot of it has been worked out now to the point where Coach Barbee is atleast somewhat satisfied. 

I believe they received a nice little wakeup call when other schools started making it known that they were interested in him.  He was given atleast a preliminary offer of some kind by atleast two different schools.

'Just wanted to pass on what I'm hearing.  WDE!!!

Great news, and thanks J/S. Come on admin, GET OUR COACH SIGNED!!!! WDE Coach Barbee, and btw, we LOVE you being here at AUBURN

Thanks for the update JS! I hope any other issues that are left get worked out as well. I hope Barbee is here for a long time and we end up naming the court or something after him after he delivers the banners that will be hanging from the rafters.

As JS posted above, things are pointing in the right direction for the school/coach engagement. JJ said they agreed to not have contract talks during the season. Talks are back on and a deal is very close to being done.

Here's my take on the Barbee situation.

Ok just think about it, with the microscope that's is focused in on AU Athletics right now, if there was anything about any one of our coaches leaving it would be all over the news. When Barbee was up for the job here, we heard about in the news when he was being courted. Being that a contract has not yet been signed, if he was negotiating with another school or recieving/giving heavy interest from one, his agent would make sure that it's public. It would let the potential recruits know what's going on this close to signing day. It would put AU on notice and make them pony up more cash for him to stay. It would make the potential new school pony up and go blow for blow with AU for the best deal. At that point, whether he left or not he's still *winning*!!! True there are always behind the scenes type stuff that goes on in this business. It will only stay off the radar for so long. It too will be made public.

You can definitely scratch Arky off that list now and I have no clue if Mizzou will have any interest at this point.  I believe Arky was the one making the strongest push for him when they feared Mike Anderson was going to stay at Mizzou.

He can build plenty of success at Auburn... I really hope he stays.

Here's my take on the Barbee situation.

Ok just think about it, with the microscope that's is focused in on AU Athletics right now, if there was anything about any one of our coaches leaving it would be all over the news. When Barbee was up for the job here, we heard about in the news when he was being courted. Being that a contract has not yet been signed, if he was negotiating with another school or receiving/giving heavy interest from one, his agent would make sure that it's public. It would let the potential recruits know what's going on this close to signing day. It would put AU on notice and make them pony up more cash for him to stay. It would make the potential new school pony up and go blow for blow with AU for the best deal. At that point, whether he left or not he's still *winning*!!! True there are always behind the scenes type stuff that goes on in this business. It will only stay off the radar for so long. It too will be made public.

I think you make some very valid points.  I also agree that if there was something going on with Barbee and him leaving, you would have heard about it on the front of most sports sites.  My personal feeling is that he is happy to be here and loves the place.  I think the differences that are keeping the contract from being signed are smaller and smaller.  He will be here next year and we will be in the NCAAs

War Eagle!

• 5 weeks later...

As JS posted above, things are pointing in the right direction for the school/coach engagement. JJ said they agreed to not have contract talks during the season. Talks are back on and a deal is very close to being done.

Gold nugget in an interview with Jay Jacobs from an otherwise negatively slanted article on AU (AP article posted on ESPN.com http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6526945):

"Once basketball season started, he (Barbee) said, 'Let's just put this on hold,'" Jacobs said. "There was a few things in the contract that he wanted us to look at. We looked at those. There were about three or four things, we eliminated three of them and made an adjustment on one. I think that sometime in the near future we'll have a contract on him. It's back with the attorneys now. He and I have in principle agreed upon everything."

I just think the ship has sailed for this year.  I am confident that Tony Barbee will be our basketball coach next year.  He's worked hard through a ton of difficulties, I just don't see him packing up and leaving right now.  The future AU basketball looks brighter than it has in a long time. 

Archived