Just a little FYI for ya' on Barbee...

Here's the deal, fellas.  He wants to be here.  He did indeed have the most fun this year coaching those guys up.  There are, however, some things that are still troubling lingering between he and some of our admin.  That doesn't mean he's gone.  That doesn't mean things won't get worked out.  As I've said before, a big corner was turned the week of our national championship celebration.  There are still a few more to turn, though, and when you have some good basketball programs out there w/o a coach that are interested in him then you have to be nervous if you are us.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JS, are these issues small, nit-picky issues, or major issues? We need to be doing everything we can do (inside the rules of course) to keep Barbee, dude can coach.

JS, are these issues small, nit-picky issues, or major issues? We need to be doing everything we can do (inside the rules of course) to keep Barbee, dude can coach.

Unfortunately no, they're not small.

Man that stinks. I really like this guy.

Thanks JS

If our Admin is going to be an obstacle when it comes to basketball, then why in the heck did we spend the money to build a new basketball arena?

wde

I'm not in the "know", nor am I potraying to be...but I know one of the biggest problems that Coach Barbee has is that he is a Nike-affiliated coach and we have a program-wide deal with Under Armour. That restricts him from attending a lot of camps and keeps him from recruiting the way he really wants to...

Am I right or wrong with that assessment, J-S?

I'm not in the "know", nor am I potraying to be...but I know one of the biggest problems that Coach Barbee has is that he is a Nike-affiliated coach and we have a program-wide deal with Under Armour. That restricts him from attending a lot of camps and keeps him from recruiting the way he really wants to...

Am I right or wrong with that assessment, J-S?

That is most definitely part of it all.

One of the posters on the bunker that knows his stuff with the basketball program has been really mad at Jacobs recently with all that has been going down with Barbee.  I hope Jacobs will wake up and smell the coffee.

One of the posters on the bunker that knows his stuff with the basketball program has been really mad at Jacobs recently with all that has been going down with Barbee.  I hope Jacobs will wake up and smell the coffee.

I would agree if we knew for sure that the holdup is Jacobs. It could be Barbee`s agent or lawyer or whatever. Lets just wait and see OK. Hopefully not for long though

I would agree if we knew for sure that the holdup is Jacobs. It could be Barbee`s agent or lawyer or whatever. Lets just wait and see OK. Hopefully not for long though

I would tend to agree, but from what he has apparently been saying, the ball is in Jacob's court and he is sitting on it right now.

Notice all the SWOOSHES on Sweet 16 teams' uniforms.

It's just something that like it or not we as Auburn basketball fans are going to have to deal with. Hopefully it's not a deal breaker with Barbee because I think he has what it takes to win and recruit at a high level regardless of shoe affiliation but until UnderArmour can flip a few more AAU programs and become legit competition(I think they will eventually) it is an obstacle that the program is going to have to overcome.

LOL I know right...not to mention, Do you know that ALL the BSC National Champs wear Nike except for 2....Auburn and Tennessee....think about it.

LOL I know right...not to mention, Do you know that ALL the BSC National Champs wear Nike except for 2....Auburn and Tennessee....think about it.

But we beat the most prominent Nike school for the championship :laugh:

But we beat the most prominent Nike school for the championship :laugh:

We beat both the #1 & #2 school with Nike , #1 is Bama & #2 is Oregon

I see a bunch of schools that wish they could be like us; at least in football. I don`t do Nike, their shoes don`t fit me well and have no use for the swoosh. It`s a damn shame what AAU and apparell companies have done to college basketball and would to football if they can.

^^^^^ Dead on. It matters which camp you can go to or recruit based upon which company sponsors the camp or your school? Singularly the most ignorant thing I have heard that involves athletics. I don't know, maybe the NCAA could finally serve a purpose here. :banghead:

Sooner or later NCAA will come down on the AAU programs and the schools that sponsor them.  When shoe companies are the deciding factor in where a player or coach ends up, things have gotten out of hand.  Meanwhile NCAA is worried about players selling their old jersies....while the schools have sold their souls.

Sooner or later NCAA will come down on the AAU programs and the schools that sponsor them.  When shoe companies are the deciding factor in where a player or coach ends up, things have gotten out of hand.  Meanwhile NCAA is worried about players selling their old jersies....while the schools have sold their souls.

Agreed but at times it seems the NCAA is reluctant to deal with this problem. They think telling coaches to stay away from these camps will sove it all. yea right; just puts more agents in the mix, not fewer.

How does our athletic wear affiliation affect/impact/confine Coach Barbee's recruiting of players?

A coach who is not a "supporter" of a certain brand will not be invited to those clinics/tourneys/or have access to the AAU leagues sponsored by certain brands(read Nike) where most good HS players spend their off season playing ball and getting seen. If you are affiliated with Under Armour, Nike is not going to be welcoming to your presence. I'm sure these are not the only answers to your question.

How does our athletic wear affiliation affect/impact/confine Coach Barbee's recruiting of players?

AAU coaches have much more influence on players than their hs coach and most of the recruiting is done through the AAU coaches. These AAU coaches get "sponsored" by shoe companies like Reebok, Addidas and Nike and push their players towards schools that wear their sponsors gear. Players don't always go to a school that wears their AAU teams gear but it is an uphill fight and makes Barbee's job harder than if he was at a Nike school. Under Armour is pretty new to the AAU game and doesn't have the amount of teams that the others have but they have flipped an Atlanta based team and recently the AAU team out of the Ham that our 2 instate commits play for.

Archived