Just a little FYI for ya' on Barbee...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am hearing that atleast one school out there is really putting the "full court" press on our coach right now.  Let's hope our admin does what it takes to keep him around.   :o

Hey J-S....which school if you can answer......

I am hearing that atleast one school out there is really putting the "full court" press on our coach right now.  Let's hope our admin does what it takes to keep him around.   :o

I'm actually hearing of several that are making serious inquiries.  Tennessee, GaTech, Oklahama, and Arky with atleast two possibly making actual offers.

I'm actually hearing of several that are making serious inquiries.  Tennessee, GaTech, Oklahama, and Arky with atleast two possibly making actual offers.

yeah i figured arky, ou, tech......those were the ones that worried me when i heard their coaches had been fired.....

Ouch, those are all better jobs for basketball.  I hope Barbee has become attached to Auburn in his year there, and his heart tells him he should stay and build something special.

I am hearing that atleast one school out there is really putting the "full court" press on our coach right now.  Let's hope our admin does what it takes to keep him around.   :o

Have these schools asked permission to talk to Barbee? just curious.

heard that about UTk being interested in him also, but think Rivers asst. at Boston is their focus currently...initially they were talking Pitino....I am not sure, and this is nothing against Barbee, but think they will want to make a bigger "splash" with a proven coach from a big time program. I hope we keep him as well.

You can definitely scratch Arky off that list now and I have no clue if Mizzou will have any interest at this point.  I believe Arky was the one making the strongest push for him when they feared Mike Anderson was going to stay at Mizzou.

No one wants to believe it's true. When a coach hasn't signed his contract, it's never good. I get called a liar on ITAT everytime I suggest there are things to be worked out.  Will be a darn shame if he goes because of our own stupidity.

Hey BBB.....just how far apart is the administration and barbee away from an agreement....

i am guessing by your last sentence that it is substantial enuff that if an offer is made to barbee that he'd be gone.....

No one wants to believe it's true. When a coach hasn't signed his contract, it's never good. I get called a liar on ITAT everytime I suggest there are things to be worked out.  Will be a darn shame if he goes because of our own stupidity.

Hey BBB.....just how far apart is the administration and barbee away from an agreement....

i am guessing by your last sentence that it is substantial enuff that if an offer is made to barbee that he'd be gone.....

Enough that he still hasn't signed his contract. These job openings scare me! We have a gem in Barbee and I afraid we're going to piss it away.

Enough that he still hasn't signed his contract. These job openings scare me! We have a gem in Barbee and I afraid we're going to piss it away.

yeah this is exactly what i thought would happen back when au 'hired' barbee to begin with.....i figured they'd drag their feet, hem-haw, around and then at season end a few jobs like ga tech specifically would open up......

I still don't understand it. How can a coach actually coach without signing a freakin' contract? Like how was Barbee able to coach this year without his name on the dotted line?

I don't get it.

I don't really understand the calls for Jacobs and crew to "step it up" and "get him signed", at some point the responsibility falls on Coach to decide if this is where he wants to be.  Coach Barbee rec'd a 500% raise to come to AU, he's a grown man and had plenty of time to look into the situation at AU before he agreed to come to AU...at this point, if Barbee does not sign the contract it is b/c he does not want to be here.  I sure as hell don't want to keep a coach who does not want to be here. 

Having said that, I think he could be a great coach here at Auburn, and I would love for him to stay. 

I still don't understand it. How can a coach actually coach without signing a freakin' contract? Like how was Barbee able to coach this year without his name on the dotted line?

I don't get it.

It is not unusual for coaches to go for long periods working only under a memo of agreement. Most all get worked out. With as much as Tony and Auburn have put into this, I can`t see it falling apart. What I do see is people who don`t understand the situation or how things happen sometimes making comments that may be over the top. It won`t make things happen any quicker.

I don't get it.

It is not unusual for coaches to go for long periods working only under a memo of agreement. Most all get worked out. With as much as Tony and Auburn have put into this, I can`t see it falling apart. What I do see is people who don`t understand the situation or how things happen sometimes making comments that may be over the top. It won`t make things happen any quicker.

I don't know if this was mentioned but Pat Dye coached in 1980 at Wyoming even though he never signed anything. But anyway, I think it is up to Coach Barbee now to decide if this is really where he wants to be for a while, and if it isn't, I really don't want him here. We need an Auburn man dedicated to the players, the school, and the community.

Archived