Calloway update

weegleweegle

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about taking calloway to florida reminds me of something that happened a long time ago. UAT was in a serious recruiting battle with UAB for Enis Whatley. Gene Bartow thought he had him all but signed when, all of a sudden, they could not make contact with him. Turns out the bammers had him locked up in a motel where Bartow couldn't find him. He ended up signing with you know who. I wonder if anyone else remembers that one.

Absolutely, I recall it.  EW was HUGE, local TV even broke in when he committed to UAB, which was RARE at the time for a recruit to commit on TV.

Also, something very similar happened with Buck Johnson the following year. I think BJ actually ran away from home during the process.

So Mr. Woodruff is friends with B Brown on Facebook per the TD thread.

Saw it other places and it is rumored he may transfer to rhs

I hope J Lee is building his case.  This article seems to expand on the first few bullet points he outlined last week.  I wonder if he does have a follow up, it starts outlining his findings in the next few points about the cash payments.  Then, he can summarize it all with the hard evidence.  If so, it's good marketing on his part to increase readers.  He sure has my interest now!

The thing about taking calloway to florida reminds me of something that happened a long time ago. UAT was in a serious recruiting battle with UAB for Enis Whatley. Gene Bartow thought he had him all but signed when, all of a sudden, they could not make contact with him. Turns out the bammers had him locked up in a motel where Bartow couldn't find him. He ended up signing with you know who. I wonder if anyone else remembers that one.

Absolutely, I recall it.  EW was HUGE, local TV even broke in when he committed to UAB, which was RARE at the time for a recruit to commit on TV.

Also, something very similar happened with Buck Johnson the following year. I think BJ actually ran away from home during the process.

That part of the two stories is so similar.

Bull, do you see any potential at all for any of the issues surrounding BC to be credible or a potential problem?

Yeah, I do.

UA looked into it and said they aren't turning anything in to the NCAA. What this means is that someone has to produce some evidence to cause the NCAA to investigate. We will have to rely on the media, more than likely, to actually provide ignition to this flame. Unfortunately this appears to be Jeffrey Lee.

What I get out of this is that Peaches appears to provide a home for athletes so they can go to Russelville High School. I have no idea why Woodruff has a relationship with Peaches in the first place. No one has provided any type of information to explain why these men do what they do for these kids and that is what looks suspicious to me. Something isn't quite right here. So yeah, I think there is a potential problem.

The part that gets me is the way these guys are talking like they have nothing to hide.

OK now rockford you are scaring me. Are you ok? What about this changed your tune? Out of nothing but sheer curiosity alone.

it is all part of the vast cover-up.

Actually, My tune has not changed. I don't think I ever said UAT was squeaky clean. 

However, Nobody in this particular thread has said or hinted that the REC murdered Logan Young and nobody has said that the REC is paying off judges and the NCAA to so that they will favor UAT. 

Actually, all I did in the last thread that seemed to bother you so much was ask for clarification and if I was actually understanding correctly what the poster was saying that the REC was paying off Judges and the NCAA.

Because of all of your lectures that followed, I have tried to even avoid expressing an opinion about others posts. Now I just ask questions and keep my opinions to myself.

You know you CAN be an AUBURN fan without buying into EVERY conspiracy out there and blindly following everything every UAT hater says.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way saying or implying that any theory, belief or conspiracy involving the REC, including but not limited to, the REC paying off the NCAA and Judges or the REC hiring a hit man to murder Logan Young, is false or wrong. 

I think you mean Watson Brown.  Gene was UAB's basketball coach.

Enis Whatley played basketball.  Don't think UAB had football then, at least I don't think Watson Brown was the coach.  TIFWIW

IMO this thing makes Jeffrey Lee look a little juvenile. The fact that the home page of AUBURNsports.com features an article going after an ALABAMA player just looks bad. All this stuff could be true, but it seems a little petty to me. Why is a webpage dedicated to covering Auburn athletics trying to dig up dirt on another school???

All that said, I hope its true and Bama gets slammed for it.

I think you mean Watson Brown.  Gene was UAB's basketball coach.

Wasn't Whatley a basketball player?  :dunno:

My bad I thought the post was talking about a football recruit and you are right that they wouldn't have had a football team then (at least not 1)

IMO this thing makes Jeffrey Lee look a little juvenile. The fact that the home page of AUBURNsports.com features an article going after an ALABAMA player just looks bad. All this stuff could be true, but it seems a little petty to me. Why is a webpage dedicated to covering Auburn athletics trying to dig up dirt on another school???

All that said, I hope its true and Bama gets slammed for it.

I have heard in several places that different sports writers across the state had this story and sat on it since feb.  So, that may be a reason it is coming from lee.  But, I really don't care who it comes from the way both of bc and ck went down should have peaked someone's interest.  So, whatever puts the spotlight on them doesn't concern me at all.

Did I miss something? That article is nothing but describing how he decommitted from Alabama to commit to Auburn and then suddenly switched his mind on signing day. Nothing about mortgages or any other type of payments. The article mostly wants the reader to feel sorry for the kid for basically being forced into signing with Bama. But nothing of violations.

Woodruff paying for a two room suite would have to be considered "impermissable benefits". BC had to eat for those two days also. I am sure not one dime came out of BC's or Peaches pockets. I may be wrong, but I think I read Woodruff say the other day that he is not a bama grad, booster, or ever even bought a ticket to a football game. In this article Stancil said Woodruff took BC to almost every bama home game his junior year. There is so many lies and examples of deceit in this situation. Some people think there may not be much smoke, but there seems to be a lot of fire.

Woodruff is just the latest in a long, slimy line of bammer bag men.

:beatmullet: :beatmullet: :beatmullet:

Calloway had to sit out last season after transferring from Florence, where he played a few varsity games as an eighth-grader at defensive end and outside linebacker.

But peaches story is he loved BC prior to him being a good football player.

I got a hint for ya peaches......if you are starting on the varsity as an 8th grader....by god someone has been looking at you!!!!!

That part of the two stories is so similar.

Yes, and actually AU had TWO guys jump ship last year (BC-CK) just like UAB, only UAB's were a year a part.

A couple of other notes about that time period. I am pretty sure, at some point that year, Gene also had a verbal commitment from Barkley and the guard, I think it was Crosby, who went to UGA.  Can you imagine UAB's team if they had held those commitments.

Another point. Finebaum won at least one major award for his investigative reporting on the Buck Johnson Case. He also did a piece (for which I think he got sued) about Bobby Lee Hurt and the Allegations that his High School (Butler?) paid him with money from the coke machine.

I personally spoke with someone who works closely with PF about this recently. He already knew about the similarities between the stories as PF had actually spoken to him about that same thing as well.

Per comment above:  "UA looked into it and said they aren't turning anything in to the NCAA. What this means is that someone has to produce some evidence to cause the NCAA to investigate".

Not sure the above statement is true....NCAA hot-footed it down to Louisiana with no evidence whatsoever when someone suggested that AU was doing wrong down there.   Expect there is enough smoke by now to get NCAA attention...especially if they really believe that Alabama is a "serial violator".

So you have a wealthy "fan" who 1) never attended the university, 2) doesn't make donations to the university, 3) doesn't buy season tickets who makes contact (therefore a "relationship") with promising athletes in the area prior to high school.  He in turn has relationships with people in friendly territory willing to adopt young athletes to "help" them out.    So, everybody is a "friend" of the athlete and nobody is a "booster".

Sounds like the (almost) perfect student-athlete laundering scheme.

So you have a wealthy "fan" who 1) never attended the university, 2) doesn't make donations to the university, 3) doesn't buy season tickets who makes contact (therefore a "relationship") with promising athletes in the area prior to high school.  He in turn has relationships with people in friendly territory willing to adopt young athletes to "help" them out.    So, everybody is a "friend" of the athlete and nobody is a "booster".

It is almost perfect because they've been doing it for years, and it's systemized. They have a network in place.

I think this is the story that Jeff is actually after, to out the entire network Bama has set up over the years.

It is almost perfect because they've been doing it for years, and it's systemized. They have a network in place.

Archived