Calloway update

weegleweegle

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still can't find what I was looking for, but even on another thread here, while touring the stadium someone was told by the university guide, not to speak with recruits even if they knew them because they could be considered a booster. That doesn't link specifically to this ,but does speak to the tightness of possible booster declarations. fwiw

Still can't find what I was looking for, but even on another thread here, while touring the stadium someone was told by the university guide, not to speak with recruits even if they knew them because they could be considered a booster. That doesn't link specifically to this ,but does speak to the tightness of possible booster declarations. fwiw

I did read that post.

Has anyone ever searched the NCAA. org website? The most convoluted load of crap I've ever seen. Forbid that you search for a rule or regulation. I'm not sure they know them.

According to their website, "Boosters are held to the same recruiting practices standards that the member institutions are".

To say that booster declarations are done on a case-by-case basis, is an understatement. Micro-management, gotta love it. :rolleyes:

woodruff might not be a booster himself,but if one could dig deep enough you might find connections to a for sure booster. it would be interesting to know what woodruff did or who he hung out with in turd town while brent was visiting. that is where people dont connect the dots. this is what was overlooked in the julio/ingram/curtis anderson relationship(wink wink) nobody ever looked at the list of customers that the person who provided the fishing trip and what other benefits were provided and did they come from anderson or someone else he was tied to. remember bammer compliance dept. also investigated this.

In the NCAA world the loopholes have loopholes.  That is why it is so difficult for them to enforce any of their rules.  My interpretation is that if it is proven that a booster had a relationship with the recruit before that person actually became a recruit for the booster's school that the booster could continue that relationship even to the point of providing financial help if that financial help began before the recruiting process began.  This is total BS.  Either you are a booster or not.

This Russellville High School deal needs to be investigated fully by the NCAA and the AHSAA.  It appears that their are more than a few potential college athletes from other parts of the state and even other states who are presently living with legal guardians in the Russellville School District who are not related in any way.  Some, like Mr. Winston, do not have substantial means of income to support additional people living in their homes.  This thing could get very dirty.

^^^^^ Very good points.

I personally think, that the potential lies in institutional control, perhaps as much as potential booster violations. hope springs eternal..

The handbook/pdf  I found from the Pac10 were written for people who do not speak NCAA bull.

http://compliance.pac-10.org/thetools/instctl.pdf

I agree that this needs to be thoroughly investigated, the question is, will it be.  I am afraid that it will all be swept under the rug.

WW, that is my point as well, I think the booster declarations are done in a manner where at UAT (yeah I used it as an example) someone might not be declared a booster and at another school for the same efforts be declared a booster.

So far ,the closest event I can find to this, was a Missouri, basketball booster who had similar instances of "traveling" with players from Michigan. Mizzou was sanctioned in that case.

It has been documented previously that UAT has had "feeder" high school programs in the state, even from the Bear's era...

Seems to me that that is what is now coming to light in R'ville, ... may be similar a set-up at some of their other feeder programs...

If the right investigative people get involved, this could have a domino effect...

I don't think that would be a stretch by any means...

I've always been suspicious of what you call "feeder high school" programs steering kids to a particular school.  But it seems it would be tough to prove in this case since the head coach was an Auburn grad.

If they could show a system that operated outside the head coach, that may be something.  But you typically view the coach as the most influential person in the program.

Something I've wondered this whole time since the story broke, if he has not bought season tickets but still took calloway to all of those bama games... who bought those tickets? I am beside myself that a bama fan who is the ceo of a decent company would not buy season tix for the team he loves, and apparently goes to many/all of the games. I mean, I am not a wealthy person and I can scrape up for season tickets. This is the angle I'd be looking at. Obviously he has chosen not to buy tickets in order to remain a non booster and cheat on behalf of his precious tahd.

Who is providing these tickets so that he can perform this "mentor" rule-bending?

I've always been suspicious of what you call "feeder high school" programs steering kids to a particular school.  But it seems it would be tough to prove in this case since the head coach was an Auburn grad.

If they could show a system that operated outside the head coach, that may be something.  But you typically view the coach as the most influential person in the program.

I agree with you, except, this coach has already stated he had no contact with BC in those last few days before signing, even though he tried. He was isolated by those around BC. They operated, in theory, by shutting him out.

Something I've wondered this whole time since the story broke, if he has not bought season tickets but still took calloway to all of those bama games... who bought those tickets? I am beside myself that a bama fan who is the ceo of a decent company would not buy season tix for the team he loves, and apparently goes to many/all of the games. I mean, I am not a wealthy person and I can scrape up for season tickets. This is the angle I'd be looking at. Obviously he has chosen not to buy tickets in order to remain a non booster and cheat on behalf of his precious tahd.

Who is providing these tickets so that he can perform this "mentor" rule-bending?

Agree, but I don't think anyone (but maybe BC) could prove that.

A lot of companies buy blocks of season tickets to local universities. He could very easily have his company buying the tickets, so they purchase would not be under his name. I think it's also possible that he as being provided free passes by the coaches at uat.

The coach was trying to win football games.  There is a network in Russellville who recruits these lower income or disadvantaged kids to either move with their families or without them to Russellville with the guarantee they will get a college scolarship if they do the work.  I suspect they are also given money for expenses.  The coaches at Russellville have nothing to do with this except reaping the benefits.  These players don't all end up at UAT.  They are scattered all over.  There was a transfer from Pennsylvania last year who signed with South Alabama, coached by Joey Jones, former UAT receiver.  Hmmmm?

XXX has another article up about if Woodruff is a booster or not. Interesting read based off of comments made by Peaches in the paper.

Remember how everyone wanted Cam and his Dad and AU to put out statements etc.....this is exactly why you keep your mouth shut.

The more Peaches and Woodruff talk the worse for UA

A lot of companies buy blocks of season tickets to local universities. He could very easily have his company buying the tickets, so they purchase would not be under his name. I think it's also possible that he as being provided free passes by the coaches at uat.

His company does not look that big, to avoid having the tax liability in his name. So if a company check purchased season tickets, I would think he would still be the one buying the tickets.

This may or may not answer your question but most recruits get tickets to home games and can bring a guest. The guest in this case would be Mr. Woodruff. However this does not excuse Mr. Woodruff providing the transportation to the games, which may be considered an "extra benefit".

we may be missing the point. you need to look at the companies that he does businsess with and see who might be a booster. his customers and vendors. there is a better chance of this.

This set up that bammer has sounds like a drug ring. You have the big dogs that provide the means to pay these recruits with cash or cars, those guys have runners to get the goods to the lackies like Woodruff that are on the streets and will usually take the fall so the runners and the big dogs will go untouched. This crap seems elaborate and well organized. Bear knew what he was doing when he set this up.

Archived