Mike Mitchell ,former Tiger basketball star passes away.

Mike Mitchell was one of the three or four greatest basketball players in Auburn history. He, along with Barkeley and Chuck Person, belong at the top of the list of all-time greats. He played under Bob Davis in the 1970s. He was a Tiger at the same time as Eddie Johnson and Stan P (I can't spell his last name so I won't even try but he was one of the greatest shooting guards we've ever had). Mike scored over 15,000 points in an NBA career that spanned 10 seasons. He was drafted by Cleveland, played a few seasons there and was traded to San Antonio. He is one of the more underappreciated players of all  time, despite being an all-star.

I just read on 27/7 that Mike is battling a rare form of lung cancer. The post about him links an article from the SanAntonio news paper. Evidently he is under hospice care. That means he is not expected to live much longer. Please pray for this former Tiger great.

Terrible news to hear. I was at AU when Dr. Bob had that great team and BEC would be a sell out for alot of the games. Mike was a smooth as silk when shooting the ball. Stan Pietkiewicz is the player your looking for. If they had a 3 point line he would have had alot more points. Stan son John works for Traditions Bank in Orlando. My wife has some business dealings with John. I believe Mike's jersey should be retired but it will never happen.

Prayers for Mike and his family

Terrible news to hear. I was at AU when Dr. Bob had that great team and BEC would be a sell out for alot of the games. Mike was a smooth as silk when shooting the ball. Stan Pietkiewicz is the player your looking for. If they had a 3 point line he would have had alot more points. Stan son John works for Traditions Bank in Orlando. My wife has some business dealings with John. I believe Mike's jersey should be retired but it will never happen.

Prayers for Mike and his family

I definately agree about retiring Mike's jersey. You are also right about Stan. I saw him score 30 one night in Ttown. Mike was lighting them up inside, got about 28. As long as he was in the game bammer had to play zone. Stan just stopped at the head of the key and blistered the net. Mike fouled out and bammer went man to man. That slowed down Stan. We went from 17 up to 14 down.

We need a ring of honor in our new basketball building. Mike Mitchell, Eddie Johnson, Chuck Person sir Charles would be the top 4 I'd like to see on the wall as you first walk in.

My prayers and heart with are with Mike and his family. God bless you, Mike. Jesus is with you every step of the way.

We need a ring of honor in our new basketball building. Mike Mitchell, Eddie Johnson, Chuck Person sir Charles would be the top 4 I'd like to see on the wall as you first walk in.

Don't forget John Mengelt. who remembers the night he dropped 60 on bammer?

God Bless Mike Mitchell. We will keep him in our prayers. As for Mengelt, check his stats and Pete Maravichs' stats and realize that they played before the addition of the three point line. Those stats would have been crazy with the 3! Also take that into consideration when old timers say that todays players can't shoot. Those old timers were automatic from 12 feet in!

Pepto was from Talladega High School. Played one year,I believe. Didn't he lead the SEC in rebounding? Or was it just freshmen?

Don't forget John Mengelt. who remembers the night he dropped 60 on bammer?

I was there. Crash was really fun to watch. He never stopped hustling.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Mitchell should of been the second jersey retired IMO, Eddie Johnson would of been a jersey to retire if it wasn't for his problem with drugs. I was a freshman in 1978 and part of the pregame routine was Miles Patrick standing at the head of circle and moving the ball through his legs to Sweet Georgia Brown and dishing to his teammates as they ran to layups it was quite a show that always got the crowd jacked.

• 3 weeks later...

God Bless...prayers to the family.

:'(Hard to believe. I knew Mike at the time he was playing BB at AU. His shot was as smooth as silk. He had a great career in the NBA. God he was fun to watch..... playing with Fast Eddie and Stan

This is all you need to know about Mike

He was a four-time All-SEC player, ranked second in school history in scoring (2,123 points) and first in rebounds (996). As a senior in 1977-1978, he averaged 24.9 points and 8.9 rebounds under coach Bob Davis.

Archived