Seed Question

AU and UA both ended the season at 14-16 in conference play.  We won our series with Bama which, I thought, gave us the tie breaker.  So how did they end up seeded higher at the tourney?  Anyone know?

Because there was a 3-way tie for second in the West, for the 6,7,8 seeds between Mississippi St, Bama, and Auburn. The SEC office said that in the event of a 3-way tie, they looked at the records of these 3 teams against each other. Auburn was 2-4, Bama 3-3, Mississippi St. 4-2. So they went in descending order to give the seeds.

I thought after Mississippi St. was given the tie breaker, then it went to head-to-head match ups for the 7 and 8 seeds which we would win. But the SEC office disagrees...who knows.

I just know we need to win some games

The bottom line is that we were playing a three game series against just about the worst team in the conference. The best we could do was win one of those three. If we'd taken care of business we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I'm not into making excuses, but the rule on the SEC website says we should be the 7th seed.  Phillip Marshall states the rule in th link below.  A secret tournament handbook states that and I paraphrase here.  "Alabama should be seeded higher than any one else if they are tied no matter what the tiebreaker says."

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Tigers-vs-Gamecocks-in-SEC-tourney-26335

The 7 seed is a huge advantage in the tournament this year, since they play the West winner, and the West was much weaker than the East.  :rolleyes:

I am a season ticket holder and have been very dissapointed in our lack of effort. Call it what you want but we are at or near the bottom of the S.E.C. in era.,fielding pct., steals, strikeouts, just to mention a few categories. My opinion only, I have seen some of worst coaching decisions in my several years at Plainsman Park. Don't take me wrong I was so happy when we hired coach P. and maybe when he gets better talent things will turn around. I will continue to support A.U. because I love us. but just had to vent.

Archived