Jonathan Evans

tigerrules

Ryan Smith has gotten a lot of the credit, and deservedly so, for the stop on the last play.  Jonathan Evans was also critical to the success of that play.  JE pursued across the line of scrimmage without being touched.  His job was to take the pitch out of the play so that they could not swing wide.  If JE had not stayed with the pitch man and eliminated the possibility to pitch, and in error followed the natural instinct to pursue Relf with the ball, they would have scored with two lead blockers. Evans turned the play in, knowing he would have support on the inside.  Great coaching, great fundamentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPE9_-hX84E&feature=related

Ryan Smith has gotten a lot of the credit, and deservedly so, for the stop on the last play.  Jonathan Evans was also critical to the success of that play.  JE pursued across the line of scrimmage without being touched.  His job was to take the pitch out of the play so that they could not swing wide.  If JE had not stayed with the pitch man and eliminated the possibility to pitch, and in error followed the natural instinct to pursue Relf with the ball, they would have scored with two lead blockers. Evans turned the play in, knowing he would have support on the inside.  Great coaching, great fundamentals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPE9_-hX84E&feature=related

I'm glad you pointed that out, I was wondering who our stud in the backfield on that play was. Right on, give JE some credit here. WDE

If he pitched it they would have scored.  We didn't cover pitch man all game.  Not to worry...that will be corrected for next week.

Wow, watching that video I noticed how open the left side was if Relf would have pitched it to Ballard.  :o

BUT HE DIDN'T! 2-0! WDE!

If he pitched it they would have scored.  We didn't cover pitch man all game.  Not to worry...that will be corrected for next week.

Wow, watching that video I noticed how open the left side was if Relf would have pitched it to Ballard.  :o

BUT HE DIDN'T! 2-0! WDE!

Lucky for us we don't play another team all season that runs this type of option sweep. We would have to adjust to prevent a similar onslaught on defense again!

Speaking of the option play, seemed like they picked on Nosa the whole game.  If we had a speed and power guy like Sanders or Ford on Relf I think they would have busted the play early on unless Bulldogs applied their usual holds. Amazing that I don't remember a single hold call on State when I spotted at least one on every other play.  Guess I'm also wearing those orange and blue glasses.  I see much better with that pair of specs.

:pcprobs:

I was at the game and it was the best game that I have been to in years.  I have have said it before and I will say it again, Jonathan Evans is a great player and a true Auburn man. His brother Chris Evans was a great talent at the linebacker position also. That game was the best sunburn I have ever had the pleasure to get. Thank you for a great game Auburn and WDE!!!

The more I look at that replay, the more I believe that Relf felt he was just going to walk into the endzone.  He had been falling forward all day so why would he think otherwise that close to the endzone. He had no idea he was about to be hit that fast and hard.  Relf had zero time to think about stretching the ball out.  For me that makes the play by Ryan even more impressive!!  I really hope that was the first act of his coming out party!

JE is going to be solid just like his brother was!  I'm looking forward to him becoming a household name among the Auburn Family!

:wareagle:

When Relf made his read Evans was still covering the pitch man. Once he makes that read he is not supposed to even think about pitching the ball. The defense knew this and collapsed on Relf which left it open for Ballard. He was open for a reason and it wasnt because the defense was out of place.

Archived