What's the deal with the media????

mnmtigerfans@charter.net

OK before I start my conspiracy theory, let me say this. Auburn won a NC in 2010. They came from out of nowhere, and the media didn't even have them ranked. They were not chosen to win the SEC West. That was one of the reasons it was such a great win.

To be honest the media did EVERYTHING in their power, to defame, and deface Auburn. There were a couple of games called, and you could just tell the announcer calling the game, was clearly bias. That to me, of course, just made the wins better. I won't even mention the way they treated Cam, who will always be one of my all time favorite players.

With all that being said, our retarded half sister school, from Tuscaloosa, is a media darling. They, and their diminutive leader, are worshiped!  In fact they were picked to win it all in 2010. So where does the worship come from?

You may say I'm nuts, and it's all just a conspiracy created in my head, but I alone can not be, the only person who sees this mess. It's on ESPN, local news stations, local radio, and this years debauchery has me fuming!

Going into the conference championship game weekend Alabama was ranked number two in the nation. They sat at home idle, due to the fact they had lost in the regular season, and did not qualify to play for the SEC crown. Ranked at number three was Oklahoma State. They played the number ten team in the nation for their conference championship, and won quite handily!  That extra game should have caused them to jump, an idle number two team, no matter who that team was. Isn't that the reason for conference championships?

The NCAA watches players, and holds them to certain standards. They watch teams, to make sure they recruit correctly. The SEC watches it's schools as well, looking for violations. While all this is done to keep teams from having an unfair advantage, on the field, what about off the field, and behind the scenes?

In 2009 Alabama had it's first ever Heisman winner, Mark Ingram. I don't exactly see HOW he won it though, seeing he did not lead the nation in any offensive category. Isn't that a part of the Heisman, outstanding play??? In truth Alabama launched a media campaign before the start of 2009, for Mark. I wonder how much they spent on that campaign?

Now here we are about to start 2012, and Alabama has clearly used, and manipulated the media, to once again gain something, they simply did not earn. A chance to win the national championship. Sorry Oklahoma State, and all you other conference champions, you should have PAID more attention to media relations. At least Alabama was unable, to garner another Heisman, for a player without the numbers, but wait until next years campaign.

So NCAA when are you going to start watching a teams media clout, and the way they go about perusing it? The Heisman really should go to the nations best player. Sports writers get perks, to write those great stories, and cast those pre-season votes. The BCS is a damn joke, and hasn't gotten it right more than a few times. College football shouldn't be corrupted by greed, and angled opinions. :wareagle:

Okie state did not play an extra game as the Big12 only had 10 teams.  They were conference champions and that should have put them in over a team that finished second in there division and biggest claim to fame was a quality loss to LSU.

We must realize that some schools are media darlings.  The Okies, Texas, Bammers have an advantage over the OSU, TAMU and Auburns.  It is not fair, but it is reality.  Kept us out of the game in 2004 and put Bammer into it thus year.

Geaux Tigers.

If you think the media's worshipping Saban and Bama is bad now, you should have been around when Bear Bryant was in Tuscaloosa. it's been said on several threads over the past year or more---a lot of the media in this state are Bama grads, and that's partially due to the fact that AU, thanks to former AU BOT member Bobby Lowder, no longer has a journalism program. I know most of us do not care for Paul Finebaum, but he's on the air nearly every day 365 days a year trumpeting Lord Saban, and now that he's on satellite radio, he's broadcast all over the nation. People hear this, and think Saban must be the absolute greatest coach on the planet Earth and if these high school juniors and seniors have any hopes of going to the NFL, they better come to UA and learn under the "master." Yes, Finebaum criticized Saban over his vote for Ok State for 4th in the nation in the past poll, but he didn't beat it like a drum like he does praising Saban. You don't hear any criticisms of Saban "processing" kids out of this program, even 4th and 5th year seniors are not exempt from the "process." How much criticisms has any of us heard from the state media over the recent Yeldon flip---not that he flipped, but the fact that he lied to our coaches about being 100% AU and then waiting to right at the dead period to have his hs coach release that to the press? It wasn't against the NCAA rules, but, to me, there's an ethical issue here, but you don't hear the media beating that drum. Until Saban leaves Bama, and I for one don't think that's going to happen any time soon, this is not going to change.

It baffles me that the media makes lil nicki a rockstar and he treats them like dirt.  Maybe Coach Chizik needs to stop being so nice to the media.  :dunno:

Two points

(1) I think ESPN has much more sway on what happens than people seem to understand.  When it comes time for coaches and AP voters to submit their top 25, most of their opinion of how good a team is, is likely based on what they see on ESPN and more importantly, what the ESPN talking heads say.  People who cast votes don't have the opportunity to see everyone play so they turn on ESPN to get the highlights of many of the games.  While doing that, they get told what to think.  If you watch ESPN long enough and hear them say that 'they' think Alabama is the second best team in the nation, eventually that has some sway.

(2) I think the conspiracy against Finebaum is maybe a little out of place.  He is a little different from ESPN in that his show is entertainment and opinion.  He plays up whatever the common opinion is and exagerates it to try and provoke callers into calling his show (it makes his work easier).  Finebaum is a cameleon who will say whatever is necessary to stir the pot.  Just happens that this year with Alabama doing well, we are at the receiving end.  The reason you dont hear him go after many other programs is because the majority of his caller base is either AU or bama

FWIW

It baffles me that the media makes lil nicki a rockstar and he treats them like dirt.  Maybe Coach Chizik needs to stop being so nice to the media.   :dunno:

THIS is what I can't understand.  He does yell at them, insults them, and treats them like children and they laugh it off.  I don't understand why they continue to enjoy this treatment while Chiz is respectful and gets no credit for anything  :dunno: :dunno:

Here's one that's made me scratch my head for weeks......   BOTH teams playing for the BCSNC are on NCAA probation for cheating, I haven't seen ESPN/USAToday/LATimes/SportingNews/Fortune/NYTimes/etc., write a damn thing about it.  Nothing, nada, zilch.  

It's a crying shame that BOTH teams are on probation and not one media outlet will drag them through the mud and regurgitate to the nation the reason why they were placed on NCAA probation.   :banghead:

Let me start out by reminding people that I Hate UAT (in the sense that you hate a rival) and I hate that they have a chance to win another NC.  I will be pulling for LSU because my hate for them is only surpassed by that for UAT.  However, there is no way that any of the other teams should be playing in their place in this game.  OKst lost to Iowa St., I don't care what else they did during the season, this eliminates them from a chance of being called the NC.  While yes, the bammers did lose to the best team in the country, it took overtime for that to happen.  These are the two best teams in the country, and as long as this is the system we are under, they deserve to be in it this year. 

I think the media is actually giving them less respect then I would have expected as is shown in the AP voting for awards.  And I do beleive that if the NC is an exact opposite of the first game, then the AP has all right to split the NC like they did in '03 with USC.

Let me start out by reminding people that I Hate UAT (in the sense that you hate a rival) and I hate that they have a chance to win another NC.  I will be pulling for LSU because my hate for them is only surpassed by that for UAT.  However, there is no way that any of the other teams should be playing in their place in this game.  OKst lost to Iowa St., I don't care what else they did during the season, this eliminates them from a chance of being called the NC.  While yes, the bammers did lose to the best team in the country, it took overtime for that to happen.  These are the two best teams in the country, and as long as this is the system we are under, they deserve to be in it this year. 

I think the media is actually giving them less respect then I would have expected as is shown in the AP voting for awards.  And I do beleive that if the NC is an exact opposite of the first game, then the AP has all right to split the NC like they did in '03 with USC.

So I guess you don't think floriduh should have played for the NC in 2008 either? They lost to ole mrs.

So I guess you don't think floriduh should have played for the NC in 2008 either? They lost to ole mrs.

In my opinion, you do have somewhat of a valid point about the Iowa State loss by Ok State; the only thing I'll point out is that it wasn't like Iowa State was an awful team this past year. I think they ended up 6-4, and have given their coach a 10-year extension. As for Bama---how many of us out there have seen a team get more mileage off a "quality loss" than Bama has? Yes, they lost to the #1 team in the nation when they lost to LSU. Yes, they lost in overtime by a field goal. BUT, they were at home, and were favored to win that game by 5. Also, just who did Alabama beat this year? They beat a down AU team (as much as I hate to say that); they beat a down Tennesee team; a typically bad Vandy team; an awful Ole Miss team; a Miss State team that did not live up to pre-season standards, along with Georgia Southern, Kent State, and North Texas State. Not exactly an all-star lineup of teams to have beaten this year.

It baffles me that the media makes lil nicki a rockstar and he treats them like dirt.  Maybe Coach Chizik needs to stop being so nice to the media.   :dunno:

THIS is what I can't understand.  He does yell at them, insults them, and treats them like children and they laugh it off.  I don't understand why they continue to enjoy this treatment while Chiz is respectful and gets no credit for anything   :dunno: :dunno:

Battered Media Syndrome

They are probably "influenced" by Bammer to allow him to treat them like dirt.  I don't see any other reason, other than pure "shock factor", why a classless *insert expletive(s) here* can continually disrespect members of the media and get away with it.  Just my $.02.       

Bama got in over OK St because they are considered elite. The same thing happened in AU in 04 - Auburn beat several ranked teams that year more than OK, but OK got in because of there perceived elite status. Once they got there USC beat them like no tomorrow, and I loved every minute of it. Hopefully Les unleashes a can of Cajun whoop ass on them...

Two points

(1) I think ESPN has much more sway on what happens than people seem to understand.  When it comes time for coaches and AP voters to submit their top 25, most of their opinion of how good a team is, is likely based on what they see on ESPN and more importantly, what the ESPN talking heads say.  People who cast votes don't have the opportunity to see everyone play so they turn on ESPN to get the highlights of many of the games.  While doing that, they get told what to think.  If you watch ESPN long enough and hear them say that 'they' think Alabama is the second best team in the nation, eventually that has some sway.

(2) I think the conspiracy against Finebaum is maybe a little out of place.  He is a little different from ESPN in that his show is entertainment and opinion.  He plays up whatever the common opinion is and exagerates it to try and provoke callers into calling his show (it makes his work easier).  Finebaum is a cameleon who will say whatever is necessary to stir the pot.  Just happens that this year with Alabama doing well, we are at the receiving end.  The reason you dont hear him go after many other programs is because the majority of his caller base is either AU or bama

FWIW

FIFY.  :laugh:

One of the WORST media dealings I've ever seen happened when our current coach was hired. It involved (two idiots in my opinion) Charles Barkley, and Paul Finebum. It was a direct attack on Auburn University, and intended to damage our program for years.

We took a pass on an African American coach who was hot at the time, to take Chizik who clearly wasn't. (I bet half of you can't recall the other coaches name) Barkley clearly on some issues is just a mouth looking for attention, and is treated as such. Finebum on the other hand does have an audience in our area.

Finebum went on ESPN an blasted Auburn for the hire, even going so far as to suggest African American kids steer clear of Auburn. Wallowing in the limelight stirred by the occasion.

The thing that makes this in my mind, a clear attack on Auburn University, was the same thing had happened at Alabama just a few years earlier, and the hire was even worse than ours. Do you all remember Mike Shula??

Well it seems Alabama took a pass on Sly Crooms, to take Mike Shula. That's right Alabama passed on Crooms, a hell of a coach, with Bama ties, to take Mike Shula at that time a bit of an unknown, and as time would show not much of a coach.

Did Finebum let that slip his mind? No I swear his program is directly funded, and tuned, as an in state deterrent to Auburn's success.

His program influenced, and contributed to the poisoning, of the Oaks in Auburn. His program fuels an in state hatred that spills over at times into the main stream media.

This media bias, makes an Auburn win, over a great team, less than a bama win over a lesser program. It did everything in it's power, to detract from Auburn's NC win, with the Cam Newton accusations. It does harm, like a cancer that festers just under the skin. 

One of the WORST media dealings I've ever seen happened when our current coach was hired. It involved (two idiots in my opinion) Charles Barkley, and Paul Finebum. It was a direct attack on Auburn University, and intended to damage our program for years.

We took a pass on an African American coach who was hot at the time, to take Chizik who clearly wasn't. (I bet half of you can't recall the other coaches name) Barkley clearly on some issues is just a mouth looking for attention, and is treated as such. Finebum on the other hand does have an audience in our area.

Finebum went on ESPN an blasted Auburn for the hire, even going so far as to suggest African American kids steer clear of Auburn. Wallowing in the limelight stirred by the occasion.

The thing that makes this in my mind, a clear attack on Auburn University, was the same thing had happened at Alabama just a few years earlier, and the hire was even worse than ours. Do you all remember Mike Shula??

Well it seems Alabama took a pass on Sly Crooms, to take Mike Shula. That's right Alabama passed on Crooms, a hell of a coach, with Bama ties, to take Mike Shula at that time a bit of an unknown, and as time would show not much of a coach.

Did Finebum let that slip his mind? No I swear his program is directly funded, and tuned, as an in state deterrent to Auburn's success.

His program influenced, and contributed to the poisoning, of the Oaks in Auburn. His program fuels an in state hatred that spills over at times into the main stream media.

This media bias, makes an Auburn win, over a great team, less than a bama win over a lesser program. It did everything in it's power, to detract from Auburn's NC win, with the Cam Newton accusations. It does harm, like a cancer that festers just under the skin. 

Turner Gill, of course.  He would've my first choice at the time; but, when Chizik was hired,  I wasn't really disappointed.  I wasn't wowed by the choice, but I wasn't disappointed either.

I agree with almost every post on this thread so far but there is something that can be done about it besides recognizing the status quo and the benefits would be substantial to AU.  Instead of turning the other cheek, the AD can get a "top notch" PR person. That PR person can go on the offense, stay there, constantly making sure the AU story is out there.  Any attempts to discredit AU's true story would be challenged, making the person uncomfortable that would engage in such attempts. Instead of letting the media or rival programs write our story, we should control our story and do it with zeal.

An offense is always the best defense in my opinion. Look at how the NCAA made a statement about DS's interview with them, making him look like the boob that he is. They were not about to let DS and the media write their story. 

I agree with almost every post on this thread so far but there is something that can be done about it besides recognizing the status quo and the benefits would be substantial to AU.  Instead of turning the other cheek, the AD can get a "top notch" PR person. That PR person can go on the offense, stay there, constantly making sure the AU story is out there.  Any attempts to discredit AU's true story would be challenged, making the person uncomfortable that would engage in such attempts. Instead of letting the media or rival programs write our story, we should control our story and do it with zeal.

An offense is always the best defense in my opinion. Look at how the NCAA made a statement about DS's interview with them, making him look like the boob that he is. They were not about to let DS and the media write their story. 

Sounds too simple, doesn't it?  Jacobs just needs to hire a top notch PR person, and all the bad press & media scrutiny will vanish.  I'm not sure it's that easy, or surely Jacobs would have made a move by now, after all this program has been through for the past 12-14 months.   :banghead:

IMO, the NCAA and specifically Mark Emmert is a clown for even giving Sheridan the time of day.  He gave credit to a boob by even acknowledging that the crap DS was spewing had any merit.  It would be like Emmert giving SportsbyBrooks attention for the hack piece he put out on our Tigerettes. 

All a bunch of garbage in the end, and Emmert went to the bottom of the barrel with the attention whores when he acknowledged that he listens to their trash.       

Sounds too simple, doesn't it?  Jacobs just needs to hire a top notch PR person, and all the bad press & media scrutiny will vanish.  I'm not sure it's that easy, or surely Jacobs would have made a move by now, after all this program has been through for the past 12-14 months.   :banghead:

IMO, the NCAA and specifically Mark Emmert is a clown for even giving Sheridan the time of day.  He gave credit to a boob by even acknowledging that the crap DS was spewing had any merit.  It would be like Emmert giving SportsbyBrooks attention for the hack piece he put out on our Tigerettes. 

All a bunch of garbage in the end, and Emmert went to the bottom of the barrel with the attention whores when he acknowledged that he listens to their trash.         

Will bad media vanish ? Of course not, but we can control the way its responded to and thereby change the dynamics. That part actually is that easy, it's just a frame of mind to make the decision that you will not let others control your story,you will  control it. As far as the NCAA, they actually did the right thing this time and called his bluff. Then they went a step further and released a statement to the public,unusual for them, saying Sheridan was a dunce. They did us a huge favor and from that point forward, he lost all credibility.     

Archived