"42 Freshman on Roster"

AUBSC76

Yabba Dabba Doo repeats this fact in every press conference....

"I’m not going to spend a lot of time on the Orange Bowl. It was poor performance. As I step back, you can’t let a terrible night let us lose sight of a special year. This is a roster that had 42 freshmen on it."

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/1/13/2705985/post-season-press-conference-sts-is-the-devils-playground#storyjump

But let's take a little closer look:   Prior to the Orange Bowl - not counting special teams plays "Roughly 2/3 of snaps this season were taken by juniors and seniors. Freshmen accounted for over 15% of the snaps and sophomores almost 18% of the overall snaps."   

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/12/19/2645337/2011-pre-orange-bowl-clemson-participation-analysis

There are teams with young rosters and there are YOUNG teams that actually play.   Although I haven't done an analysis like the above link for Clemson, it's very safe to say that Clemson is the former, Auburn is the latter.  I'm pretty sure this will be apparent when we tee it up against them in our opener.

I cut this post from a Clemson board on this subject:

Posted: 1/10/2012 12:47 PM

Better or worse next season?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gone:

TE Dwayne Allen

OT Phillip Price

OT Landon Walker

OG Antoine McClain

DE Andre Branch

DT Rennie Moore

DT Brandon Thompson

CB Coty Sensabaugh

P Dawson Zimmerman

Returning:

QB Tajh Boyd

RB Andre Ellington

WR Jaron Brown

WR DeAndre Hopkins

WR Sammy Watkins

OG Brandon Thomas

C Dalton Freeman

DE Mallicah Goodman

LB Quandon Christian

LB Jonathan Willard

LB Corico Hawkins

CB Xavier Brewer

S Rashard Hall

S Jonathan Meeks

Possible replacements:

TE Brandon Ford

OT Gifford Timothy

OG Kalon Davis (Thomas moves to tackle)

OG Reid Webster

DE Corey Crawford

DT Tyler Shatley

DT DeShawn Williams

CB Bashaud Breeland

I can't say I'm looking forward to next year's offensive line.

Clemson will still have a very dangerous offense if the line can handle blocking.  We all know without the line the offense can not produce nearly as well.  If you look at the qb,rb, wrs, they  have coming back, then that is a good as anyone in the nation. Sammy Watkins should be even better.  I bet he is a finalist for the blitnekopf(not the right spelling) award if the season goes the way they hope.

Clemson will still have a very dangerous offense if the line can handle blocking.  We all know without the line the offense can not produce nearly as well.  If you look at the qb,rb, wrs, they  have coming back, then that is a good as anyone in the nation. Sammy Watkins should be even better.  I bet he is a finalist for the blitnekopf(not the right spelling) award if the season goes the way they hope.

Agreed, concerning their skill positions but the game will be won in the trenches.  Both their O-line and D-line will be much like ours was in '11... in the process of being re-built and we will catch them like they did us, still trying to work out the kinks.  This bodes well for our prospects.

Archived