Rebounding

dave69

After watching the Tennessee game I have a few comments:  In my opinion there are three main ingredients to effective rebounding:

1. Positioning

2. Timing

3. Leaping ability

The first ingredient is definitely teachable!

The second is partially teachable and partly inherent!

The third is mostly inherent!

Now there's one person I can think of who possesses the best combination of all three of these ingredients, and his name is Charles Barkley.  Charles was maybe 6' 5" and 260 lbs at his playing time and could out-rebound quite a few 7-footers.  I have seen him block a run-away layup against Michael Jordon because of this ability!

Now Charles has exhibited a keen and active interest in Auburn's resurgent basketball prowess and I would ablolutely love to see Sir Charles conduct a seminar on rebounding for our team.

I've also noticed that when there is a loose ball under the basket most of our opponents seem to grope at it rather deftly while the Auburn players grope more in a spastic manner.  I don't know what to suggest to remedy this except maybe a pre-game sedative!

War Damn Eagle

Did you know you posted this twice? but rebounding was embarrassing tonight. Surprisingly, this is the first or second true game that we have gotten killed in rebounding in considering we really dont have good big men which is good. Our starting C didnt have 1,2, or 3 tonight and doesnt have 2 and 3 on a regular basis but im sure Charles Barkley would do a great job, but i dont think he will do it.   

After watching the Tennessee game I have a few comments:  In my opinion there are three main ingredients to effective rebounding:

1. Positioning

2. Timing

3. Leaping ability

Now there's one person I can think of who possesses the best combination of all three of these ingredients, and his name is Charles Barkley.  Charles was maybe 6' 5" and 260 lbs at his playing time and could out-rebound quite a few 7-footers.  I have seen him block a run-away layup against Michael Jordon because of this ability!

Now Charles has exhibited a keen and active interest in Auburn's resurgent basketball prowess and I would ablolutely love to see Sir Charles conduct a seminar on rebounding for our team.

I've also noticed that when there is a loose ball under the basket most of our opponents seem to grope at it rather deftly while the Auburn players grope more in a spastic manner.  I don't know what to suggest to remedy this except maybe a pre-game sedative!

War Damn Eagle

What does a guy have to do to get a response out of anyone on this board?  I read hundreds of inane posts about nothing that makes any sense that evoke 20 or 30 replies!  I have posted a serious statement about our resurgent basketball program pointing out what I consider to be a problem our program needs to address and out of 40 readers I get one reply.  This wasn't just an idle observation, I really would like to know what others on this board think!!!

I graduated from Auburn in '69 and in '70 and while there I never missed a home basketball game.  Since I left I have lived in Texas and can't get to the games but I have heard that one of our biggest problems with the success of Auburn basketball was lack of student support.  I am overjoyed at the fact that coach Barbee has rejuvenated local interest and support.  Please continue filling the stadium for home games.

War Damn Eagle

Alright Dave, I'll let the cat out the bag...it's you. Nobody is responding because, well, it's you. Ha!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Well, at least now I know the reason!

WDE

1. Positioning

2. Timing

3. Leaping ability

War Damn Eagle

What does a guy have to do to get a response out of anyone on this board?  I read hundreds of inane posts about nothing that makes any sense that evoke 20 or 30 replies!  I have posted a serious statement about our resurgent basketball program pointing out what I consider to be a problem our program needs to address and out of 40 readers I get one reply.  This wasn't just an idle observation, I really would like to know what others on this board think!!!

I graduated from Auburn in '69 and in '70 and while there I never missed a home basketball game.  Since I left I have lived in Texas and can't get to the games but I have heard that one of our biggest problems with the success of Auburn basketball was lack of student support.  I am overjoyed at the fact that coach Barbee has rejuvenated local interest and support.  Please continue filling the stadium for home games.

War Damn Eagle

Our students have been the best in 10 years at least this year  :wedance:

Effort is the primary ingredient in rebounding.  It is that simple, crash the glass!  Only when two teams have equal effort does skill and ability come into the equation.  Same with defense, it's about effort, effort, and effort. 

i agree with your post on a technical level ... you have pointed out the learned or genetic ingredientes ... however, like in most sports, i believe, the two most important needs are heart and desire.  barkley had those and arguably the best rebounder of the last 20-30 years (led nba 7 straight years @ about 6'6" or 6'7"), dennis rodman, had those in droves.  rodman had all of the physical and mental requirements to be dominant on the boards (par, but it was his gritty drive and ruthlessness in his desire to be the best at that discipline that made him unmatchable for many years (those traits are also what made him a freak)

Archived