OL recruiting/roster numbers

Sani-Freeze

With Kozan signing, does that mean that AU likely won't need to sign any OL for 2013?

By my count, we have 9 on the roster counting Burgess (or 10 if Coleman plays) plus 7 signees. Only Sullen is a rising senior.

Burgess, (Coleman) Dismukes, Fariyike, Mack, O'Reilly, Robinson, Slade, Sullen, Westerman

Adams, Callahan, Diamond, Kozan, Leff, Miller, Young

Grimes has to be feeling pretty darn good about his depth chart going forward.

Now it's time to load up on DL for the 2013 class...

It is a great idea to get 3-4 OL and DL prospects every year. You can never have enough big uglies in the trenches.

You're right.  Another thing is OL tend to get injured quite a bit because of how big they are.  Knee injuries are very probable with any OL. 

Good idea. With Coleman, Christian & Phillips all having health issues it really hurt us on the oline.

None of those are on athletic scholarships or count against the 25/85 limit.

No and thank goodness they don't, but they do leave us with 3 less OL to compete for playing time.  IMO, it is necessary to bring at least 3-4 OL in every year.

Good idea. With Coleman, Christian & Phillips all having health issues it really hurt us on the oline.

No and thank goodness they don't, but they do leave us with 3 less OL to compete for playing time.  IMO, it is necessary to bring at least 3-4 OL in every year.

I just don't see us bringing in that many with the small amount of scholarships we have available for this class. Sullen is the only senior leaving after this season. I seriously doubt that there will be enough attrition on the OL to bring in more than 2 or maybe three if we lose one for some reason or another.

I just don't see us bringing in that many with the small amount of scholarships we have available for this class. Sullen is the only senior leaving after this season. I seriously doubt that there will be enough attrition on the OL to bring in more than 2 or maybe three if we lose one for some reason or another.

So we can settle on 3?  Good now lets move on to the DL... ;D

Need LINEBACKERS!

I Absolutely agree and maybe a safety or two to build depth. We have 17 DL already on the roster with only two seniors in Jamar Travis and Joel Bonomolo who rarely plays.

Yeah my comment would have worked better with LB's...DL isn't a huge need right now.

Need LINEBACKERS!

I Absolutely agree and maybe a safety or two to build depth. We have 17 DL already on the roster with only two seniors in Jamar Travis and Joel Bonomolo who rarely plays.

Yeah my comment would have worked better with LB's...DL isn't a huge need right now.

We will have 5 seniors and 5 juniors on the D-Line in 2013, by my count.  So I could definitely see us taking several there.  I think after focusing primarily on the Offense in the 2012 class, the 2013 class will have a heavier focus on defense across the board, with the exception of CB.

I agree it is possible/probable that we would end up taking a couple of OL this year since some attrition always seems to occur. But I would be surprised if we sign more than two OL just based on the current numbers.

This 2012 signing class was obviously intended to make up for the attrition we had with previous OL classes (Coleman, Gayden, Christian, etc.)

As for the DL, we are in good shape at DT but I think we really need to sign a couple of bigger DEs in this class. We have a lot of bodies at that position, but some are upperclassmen and several are coming off injuries so we don't really know what to expect. And it seemed like our 240-260 lb DEs tended to get buried on running plays last year. I'm interested to see what Sigler can do this year, and would like to see us get a few more guys his size.

Also I wanted to point out that with the addition of Kozan, we literally signed a ton of offensive linemen this year.

Kudos to the coaches for getting quality and quantity at the same time.

Also I wanted to point out that with the addition of Kozan, we literally signed a ton of offensive linemen this year.

Kudos to the coaches for getting quality and quantity at the same time.

Sure looks like we did get "quality and quantity at the same time". We better get the new dining hall built ASAP.

I meant in terms of depth. Because all of these guys were highly recruited.

Now that he has the numbers, Grimes has the pipeline going. He will be able to redshirt at least 2 good linemen each year, get them stronger and bigger, on the scout team for experience and then move them thru the system. Last year he did it with Robinson, Westerman and O'Reilly. I think this year we will see Adams @ 275, Leff @ 270 and possibly Miller @ 265 going the redshirt route. I wouldnt be surprised if any OL we take for 2013 goes straight to redshirt too and with so few slots available for this next class, we might not see any used for OL at all.   

Archived