umpiring

I have posted before on this subject, but  i felt the need too after witnessing the 1st 2 games of this Bama series. Although I completely disagree with any complaints about the season and coaching. I do disagree with some of the decisions with pitching choices but  I will never say anything negative about Auburn of their coaching staff...but back to the point of this. I HAVE never in 31 years of baseball of both playing and coaching seen such game changing calls that were incorrect. I can say that because  I was sitting behind 1st base Friday night. The double play that Tella grounded into that would have tied the game, Tella was clearly safe....not just an opinion but proven by conclusive video evidence I had a chance to review. That's one game changing call. Number 2 was the call made by Randolph Murphy on the game ending double play that was called safe. Again, video evidence proved the umpire way wrong. I understand that umps miss calls, but one game changing and one game ending missed called is inexcusable mistakes on consecutive games is beyond forgiveness. We can second guess coaching decisions all u want, but the evidence shows well beyond a shadow of a doubt that the series was messed up by a completely inept umpiring team. I really feel compelled to post because  i was there and then got a chance to look at the video evidence and I promise this audience that both calls were blown. in fact, not even close as far a close calls go. So, I hope that some sort of evaluation process is looked at as far as umpiring. I certainly wont compromise the umpiring fraternity by saying that the "fix" was in, but would say if they weren't getting some sort of payoff for game changing calls, i would certainly have to question their umpiring skills. AU is fielding terrible, pitching and baserunning. not much better, but Larry, Moe and Curly umpires certainly had as much to do with the losses as some bad baseball

I have posted before on this subject, but  i felt the need too after witnessing the 1st 2 games of this Bama series. Although I completely disagree with any complaints about the season and coaching. I do disagree with some of the decisions with pitching choices but  I will never say anything negative about Auburn of their coaching staff...but back to the point of this. I HAVE never in 31 years of baseball of both playing and coaching seen such game changing calls that were incorrect. I can say that because  I was sitting behind 1st base Friday night. The double play that Tella grounded into that would have tied the game, Tella was clearly safe....not just an opinion but proven by conclusive video evidence I had a chance to review. That's one game changing call. Number 2 was the call made by Randolph Murphy on the game ending double play that was called safe. Again, video evidence proved the umpire way wrong. I understand that umps miss calls, but one game changing and one game ending missed called is inexcusable mistakes on consecutive games is beyond forgiveness. We can second guess coaching decisions all u want, but the evidence shows well beyond a shadow of a doubt that the series was messed up by a completely inept umpiring team. I really feel compelled to post because  i was there and then got a chance to look at the video evidence and I promise this audience that both calls were blown. in fact, not even close as far a close calls go. So, I hope that some sort of evaluation process is looked at as far as umpiring. I certainly wont compromise the umpiring fraternity by saying that the "fix" was in, but would say if they weren't getting some sort of payoff for game changing calls, i would certainly have to question their umpiring skills. AU is fielding terrible, pitching and baserunning. not much better, but Larry, Moe and Curly umpires certainly had as much to do with the losses as some bad baseball

Was the umpiring bad? Yes it was. Did umpiring cost us the first game? Possibly. Did coaching do more to lose those games than 2 umpiring calls? No doubt about it.

Was the umpiring bad? Yes it was. Did umpiring cost us the first game? Possibly. Did coaching do more to lose those games than 2 umpiring calls? No doubt about it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed!

Really? You're gonna whine about umpiring, and you're not gonna say ANYTHING bad about the coaching? After this past weekend?

Yes, Tella was probably safe on Friday night, but you go into a road series knowing you're not getting that call. Tella is safe in Auburn, out in Tuscaloosa or anywhere else on the road in SEC play. It shouldn't be that way, but home teams are going to get bang-bang calls every time. Everybody deals with that. Umpiring didn't get our baserunners picked off. Umpiring didn't fail to field or throw the ball. Umpiring didn't give up a grand slam to a .185 hitter.

I respect the fact that you don't want to ridicule the coaching in a public forum, but this past weekend deserves to get ridiculed, and it's really about more than this past weekend. We CONSTANTLY make errors. We CONSTANTLY get runners picked off bases. Believe what you want, but this teams CONSTANTLY has mental lapses, and it's a direct reflection on the coaching. This weekend was embarrassing to say the absolute least, and for this to continue to happen under a coaching staff that's now in its fourth year here is inexcusable.

This weekend was just another example of getting beat by inferior competition that's become an alarming trend under Pawlowski's watch. For whatever reason, we don't get mentally ready to play against lesser-talented teams. That was evidenced by our lousy play this weekend to the WORST team in the SEC, it was evidenced by our lousy midweek play a year ago, it was evidenced by losing 2 of 3 last year to the worst team in the SEC in Tennessee and it was evidenced in our midweek loss to Samford earlier this year. It's frustrating because this team is a lot more talented, IMO, than people thought in the preseason. We have good players that are proving they can play at a high level in this league.

Like I've said before, whatever happens this year happens, and barring some kind of epic meltdown, I'll still support Pawlowski. But if this team doesn't show A TON of fundamental and mental improvement next year (considering we are playing a bunch of first-year starters this year), the heat will be on. It's time for Auburn baseball to be back among the nation's elite.

Archived