THE ASYLUM

bigbird

colors thread=40 post

Golf's birthday thread= 4 post

This board never ceases to amaze. Way to go AU family :-\

not intended towards y'all, just wanted to vent.

Golf's birthday is a positive event, the only thing that gets a response on this board is when people have a chance to beeeyouch. I wish I could say I was surprsied ,but I'm not. :dunno:

Good morning, everyone.  Just heard, that Taylor Swift just donated $4 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame.  When I lived in Hendersonville, I knew the Swift family, went to church etc,. so I follow her a lot.  She donated almost $1 mil to the flood relief in 2010 also.  Just a remarkable 22-year old, very beautiful young lady!!  And an Auburn fan, too!!

You guys have talked about Steve Earle before and I had no idea it was this guy

:laugh: Ok, so I'm clueless

We knew that.  ;)

Good morning jenks. 

You guys have talked about Steve Earle before and I had no idea it was this guy

:laugh: Ok, so I'm clueless

We knew that.   ;)

Good morning jenks. 

Mornin' around4....ohhh, shiny!

Sorry, what was I saying?  ;)

Good morning sir ;D How're you guys doing?

Weekend was good,  :dunno: Worked a little, played a little and slept a little. ;D

As much as  Drac, barn and me have talked about Steve Earle, I cannot believe you didn't see it at some point.

TALENTED family. Allison Moorer,wife(alabama girl) singer/songwriter, Justin Townes Earle(son) singer/songwriter, Shelby Lynne (another Alabama girl and Allison's sister) singer/songwriter. The family probably has 10 Grammy's among them. Steve's album "Townes" was an album of nothing but Townes Van Zandt music and won best Americana Grammy. When Steve was a really young hellraiser and he has been a hellraiser for sure, he was always at the foot of TVZ and trying to learn all he could.

For more Steve Earle, try, "Copperhead Road", probably his best seller and a rocking A song. :cool:

I know you tend to be busy in the AM and don't have time to look at links but that's what I posted.  I've loved that song for years now and just didn't put 2 & 2 together when you guys were talking about him.

OK in that case :cool::laugh: try anything from "Townes", TVZ was and is considered one of the best alt/outlaw/folk/Americana songwriters ever. His lyrics could stand alone as some of the best poetry ever written and then when you add his guitar playing and style into that, his writing just blows me away. He was one of the first to do what is called the "flatpick" style of playing and when functional, the man was amazing. Lived very hard and wrote very real from it.

"Be Here To Love Me, I'll Be There in The Morning, Quicksilver Daydreams of Maria, Tecumseh Valley, Waitin Round to Die, For the Sake of the Song, None but the Rain, Our Mother the Mountain, and to put a LOT of icing on the cake, Waiting Around to Die." Pick one, any one and if the writing doesn't blow you away, you got ISSUES!!!!! :cool:

There is a reason I listed it twice and with the potential titles to be found of both. This is also the same man who wrote, "Pancho and Lefty", a great song and easily his most recorded and profitable song, but it pales, imo, when compared to some of his other writing.

An editor of Rolling Stone, wrote about him the following," TVZ was an ornery, unpredictable genius, a songwriter whose gift offered him salvation and damnation in equal doses. A man of eccentricities and rough edges. A man who understood himself and refused to let light spoil his dark places."

Amen and amen, Reverand. A songwriter would kill, select people of course :cool:, to be remembered in this way.

I'm very impressed with his songwriting but most of it is just too much country for me.  I just plugged him into spotify and hit random and am letting it play through the catalog they have. ;D

Unless it is a solo acoustic club date, performing was NEVER his strong suit. He was only accepted in the folk community because Nashville never thought he was country enough. Ironic, huh? :laugh: You guys got to learn when there is an accented difference and a twang difference. TVZ was a Texas hill boy and hung out with the best codiene and smack junkies Austin, Colorado and Houston had at the time. His parents were very wealthy for the time. Other than being from the country, there was no country music influence in him, it was all delta and Memphis blues. He was more comfortable around Lightin Hopkins than he was around Little Jimmy Dickens.

He was much more a college coffee house man when he was starting out.

Check out "White Freightliner Blues" the white tracks ain't talking about the railroad kind, ok? :laugh:

I never did fit in at college coffee houses  :laugh:

Hang on, lemme change the song currently playing to that one. :cool:

Ok, I like that one too  :laugh: