Jeremy Johnson

aupharmd15

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it could absolutely be a good thing for him to do, at least for a couple of years. The basketball program needs all the help it can get, and he won't be starting in football until at least his redshirt sophomore season, hopefully his redshirt junior season. Ergo, he could use three years of eligibility in basketball before ever being called upon to take the reins at QB.

This also benefits him as a football player in that he learns game speed at the college level. I really see no drawbacks to letting him play.

I think it could absolutely be a good thing for him to do, at least for a couple of years. The basketball program needs all the help it can get, and he won't be starting in football until at least his redshirt sophomore season, hopefully his redshirt junior season. Ergo, he could use three years of eligibility in basketball before ever being called upon to take the reins at QB.

This also benefits him as a football player in that he learns game speed at the college level. I really see no drawbacks to letting him play.

The only thing I would be worried about is that doing Football alone takes up so much time, adding BBall to that will really make him short on time. At the begining of a college career I hope the kid can get used to going to school and studing, etc, then add other things in if he can handle it.

The only thing I would be worried about is that doing Football alone takes up so much time, adding BBall to that will really make him short on time. At the begining of a college career I hope the kid can get used to going to school and studing, etc, then add other things in if he can handle it.

Very tough to do, but it has been done before. Charlie Ward won the Heisman at FSU in 93 while he was also playing basketball. Ward would end up going to the NBA rather than the NFL.

Johnson playing basketball as well may help with recruiting too since many high school prospects have desires--at least initially--of playing multiple sports.

JMO but if JJ is perceived as having a chance to get meaningful time at QB he won't play basketball.  Seasons over-lap too much and on a per capita basis we seem to have more injuries in BB than football.  Why double the risk?

:o Except him possibly figuring out he wants to focus on basketball. YIKES! I think that two sport athletes really form an intense work ethic because it is so hard. WE to him if he can pull it off. I just hope he doesn't lose too much weight in the off-seasons.

It would be a good way of keeping him happy while he waits on his turn at QB. He's got 2-3 QBs ahead of him, that this season will be Fr (2) & So (1).

I see him playing 1 sport. It is just so tough doing both these days. It's always been tough certainly, but things have changed since even Charlie Ward was playing. Football is more than a full-time, year round job these days. It is all-consuming for these guys. The time required to play QB? Yikes!

No inside info, but I'll be stunned if he ever plays a minute on the floor of Auburn Arena. If he is serious about being a QB at AU they are going to command all of his time.

Both sports are year-round now--nothing like they were when Charlie Ward did it.

As much as I'd love him to play basketball, I think it would be a dis-service to both sports for him to try.

WDE!

I am going to say that my prediction is that he will not participate in any basketball game while at Auburn. That being said I do not believe that the football staff will in any way be the reason why. I think he will choose to focus on football once realizing the time commitment necessary

I want him to play both but BBall will make him lose 10-15 pounds. He's already thin enough. He probably stays with one sport and that being football.

Before we all decide what this kid could/should/will/won't do, does anyone know which sport he projects the most promise of making it to the next level?  That would certainly be strong indication as to whether he does/does not play both sports.

• 2 weeks later...

agree

If he can contribute on the floor as a role player, then let him play both. Spring training doesn't start until mid march, so he could participate .  Unless the b ball team (if they were still playing) would be in post season. the only question i would have is what yox would be able to do for him? does the b ball team have a different strength coach?

Archived