Tre Mason

jcm81

I think all these guys has the potential to be great.  I guess I'm going with whoever has the best ball security with the starter

Athlon (bless their hearts) named M. Blakely in their top-10 impact transfers nationwide this year. Mr. Grant was also listed amongst their honorable mentions. (Mr. Prosch escaped their attention)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ausome read...I am expecting Mason to win the

starting TB position

:thumbsup:

...Don't count out Corey Grant. Word has it that he was a terror on the scout team last year, and that he has been turning heads ever since. I do think Mason probably starts, which I'm excited about because I've been on the Tre La Soul bandwagon ever since I saw him dancing between would-be tacklers on his high school film, but Grant has some serious speed too (look up his 100 meter dash times from high school), and he's got a chip on his shoulder from his experiences in T-town.

Don't count out Blakely either. This is going to be a 3-way battle.

I don't think the RB position will actually be a battle Logan...I think they all will get their touches...

That's good to hear, but does this mean Jovon Robinson is more likely to redshirt? I mean, it's gotta be tough to divide touches amongst four running backs as it is without adding a fifth, even though he is more the bruiser than the other tailbacks on the roster.

starting TB position

...Don't count out Corey Grant. Word has it that he was a terror on the scout team last year, and that he has been turning heads ever since. I do think Mason probably starts, which I'm excited about because I've been on the Tre La Soul bandwagon ever since I saw him dancing between would-be tacklers on his high school film, but Grant has some serious speed too (look up his 100 meter dash times from high school), and he's got a chip on his shoulder from his experiences in T-town.

I don't think the RB position will actually be a battle Logan...I think they all will get their touches...

That's good to hear, but does this mean Jovon Robinson is more likely to redshirt? I mean, it's gotta be tough to divide touches amongst four running backs as it is without adding a fifth, even though he is more the bruiser than the other tailbacks on the roster.

Couldn't comment on that intelligently Red...but hey. That's never stopped anybody on here before!

starting TB position

Couldn't comment on that intelligently Red...but hey. That's never stopped anybody on here before!

:laugh::thumbsup::bow:

starting TB position

"Oh yeah?" Tommy Smothers

starting TB position

I wouldn't mind that either though!  ;D

This is the article from the beginning of this thread http://auburn.scout.com/2/1201531.html

Does anyone know what the football Mason is holding in the second picture is? Could just be painted different but I was wondering if it was weighted or something...

Love this quote from Mason... "Right now, I’m 5-10, 205, and I ran a 4.35. I feel like I’m physically ready for it and mentally ready for it."

Count me as sold. I have a feeling this team is about to throat punch some people this year.

This is the article from the beginning of this thread http://auburn.scout.com/2/1201531.html

Does anyone know what the football Mason is holding in the second picture is? Could just be painted different but I was wondering if it was weighted or something...

It's been mentioned around here before so I'm sure someone will know better than I do,  but I believe they're heavier. I think it's the same concept of putting donuts on your bat in the on-deck circle - makes the football lighter and easier to handle. I'm probably way off with this so feel free to correct me guys.

It's been mentioned around here before so I'm sure someone will know better than I do,  but I believe they're heavier. I think it's the same concept of putting donuts on your bat in the on-deck circle - makes the football lighter and easier to handle. I'm probably way off with this so feel free to correct me guys.

Thanks, that's kinda all I had guessed. I just think things like that are neat.

My guesses ...

Omac will be the "official" starter every game he is healthy but will have the 4th most carries.

The other 3 RB will have have a generally even split of carries unless one proves their better during the season - which includes blocking and turnovers.

Omac will be the standard 3rd down back due to leadership and reliable blocking (smallest guy, but will be where he is supposed to be)

Edit:  if someone jumps ahead this year, my bet is on tre.  I think a year of playing makes the difference.

Thanks, that's kinda all I had guessed. I just think things like that are neat.

I think they are using the 2 lb practice balls.  Some common reasons are as follows (found them while searching)

While the most important piece of equipment used during a football game is the actual ball, most strength and conditioning programs don't incorporate the football into the training exercises. A standard football weighs about 1 pound, but using a weighted football ranging from 2 to 3 lbs. can add resistance for sport-specific throwing, ball-handling and catching drills and general strength-training exercises.

Throwing Strength

Quarterbacks commonly perform various exercises and drills to improve throwing strength. By providing more resistance than a standard football, a weighted football for throwing drills can increase arm strength. Along with general throwing drills, a quarterback can also practice option pitching and handoffs to the running backs.

Plyometrics

Plyometrics improve power, speed and agility, but holding a weighted football during the exercise provides a sport-specific demand that increases resistance while improving ball-handling skills. As a result, any player on the team, regardless of position, can use the weighted football during plyometrics. Sample exercises include box jumps or hurdle hops while holding or catching a pass, lateral weighted football throws and rotational crunches.

Ball Handling

For skilled position players such as running backs, quarterbacks and wide receivers, the weighted football can be used during specific handoff, anti-fumbling and onside kickoff recovery drills. The increased resistance improves your grip and forearm strength for holding onto the ball to prevent a fumble. Centers and quarterbacks can also use the weighted football for snapping drills.

Receiving

Catching a weighted football requires a significant amount of strength and coordination in your hands. As a result, wide receivers, tight ends and running backs can use a weighted football to improve their grip for catching. A sample drill includes the quarterback completing short distance passes to the receivers to simulate hard-thrown passes. With the short distance of the drills, you can increase the number of repetitions and catches performed during a practice session.

My guesses ...

Omac will be the "official" starter every game he is healthy but will have the 4th most carries.

The other 3 RB will have have a generally even split of carries unless one proves their better during the season - which includes blocking and turnovers.

Omac will be the standard 3rd down back due to leadership and reliable blocking (smallest guy, but will be where he is supposed to be)

Edit:  if someone jumps ahead this year, my bet is on tre.  I think a year of playing makes the difference.

Disagree with your sentiments about OMac. 

OMac has over 2,000 yards as a Tiger in 3 years. His average per year in 3 years is 672 yards per year and a average of 6.53 yards per carry. He was hurt most of his first year as well.

You do not keep a RB with those stats from getting the rock. Sure, Mason will get more carries, but do not count out OMac from being #2 in total yards.

My guesses ...

Disagree with your sentiments about OMac. 

OMac has over 2,000 yards as a Tiger in 3 years. His average per year in 3 years is 672 yards per year and a average of 6.53 yard per carry. He was hurt most of his first year as well.

You do not keep a RB with those stats from getting the rock. Sure, Mason will get more carries, but do not count out OMac from being #2 in total yards.

Completely agree man. I think he has a good chance at leading the RBs in all purpose yards not including return yards.

I think Omac gets some nice yards, but I think it will be on limited carries.  I think he has more receptions than the other guys, particularly in his third down role.  I think we do very similar in spreading carries like lsu last year which will be a lot of between the tackles which is not Omac forte.  But his solid leadership puts on the field alot

I think Omac gets some nice yards, but I think it will be on limited carries.  I think he has more receptions than the other guys, particularly in his third down role.  I think we do very similar in spreading carries like lsu last year which will be a lot of between the tackles which is not Omac forte.  But his solid leadership puts on the field alot

I am just overall pretty excited to see what CSL has in store for all the RBs at his disposal.

What does OMC do that makes some people think he is "better" than Mason. Mason is bigger, just as fast, and can run between the tackles. I love how Mason doens't avoid contact, gets to full speed very quickly and falls forward (except when returning a KR from LSU). I'm not sure how is hands are out of the backfield though.....bottom line, I think Mason is gonna be our go to guy next year.

Omac did some good work between the tackles in the bowl game last year.  I think there is more to him than a lot of people think.  He is also a quiet leader and at certain times needs to be on the field.  I like Tre and all the rest of our backfield, and they should all get some good highlights this year, but Omac has earned the starting role and should get as many touches as the rest.  But I'm not the coach, so I honestly don't know what will happen.

What does OMC do that makes some people think he is "better" than Mason. Mason is bigger, just as fast, and can run between the tackles. I love how Mason doens't avoid contact, gets to full speed very quickly and falls forward (except when returning a KR from LSU). I'm not sure how is hands are out of the backfield though.....bottom line, I think Mason is gonna be our go to guy next year.

OMac is a scat back, Mason is more a complete back. Mason probably is as fast, but I don't know that he has the same kind of lateral quickness as McCalebb. Both will have a primary role and function in the offense...but I do think Mason, not OMac, will be the starter, and if he isn't, then it is based on Onterrio being a senior. Still, don't forget that he has run for over 2,000 yards in the SEC, including all those long touchdown runs during the national championship year. That counts for something.

OMAC strikes me as the kind of guy who loves it when people doubt him.  He's tough, he's a fighter, and I think he'll make great contributions to this team this year...on the field and off. 

How about some two back sets?    :thumbsup:  And with Jay Dozer Prosch opening up lanes, it's not unreasonable to say we'll actually see MORE of O'mac between the tackles. 

I think wth Prosh opening holes, it's not gonna matter who carries the rock, they are all going to be picking up big yards. This is why I think OMac will be the starter this year. Plus I think he's better than most give him credit.

Archived