Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

16 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I should have let this come up to temp a little bit more. It's amazing how much tastier it got the closer I got to the bottom of the glass. 

I always try to remember to get big stouts out of the fridge a little while before I pour them. The good news is that I never drink them fast, so even if they start out too cold they'll get where they to be. 

Went to an improv festival Saturday night. My good friend helped start Village Theatre here in Atlanta and still emcees and performs from time to time. He got us VIP passes. Another good friend manages the beverage program and is stepping up their beer game big time. They had Cosmik Debris on tap. We had a good time. 

Oh, also, if you ever get a chance to see Hill Jones perform, holy sh**. Truly special talent on display. One of them was one of the goofy meth heads on Breaking Bad and the other was on Reno 911!. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Badger was one of my favorite characters in BB. 

Agree. And the actor, Matt Jones, is freaky smart. 

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. And the actor, Matt Jones, is freaky smart. 

That's kind of surprising, considering he's very much aloof in all his roles that I've seen him in. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

That's kind of surprising, considering he's very much aloof in all his roles. 

I thought same, but watching those 2 dudes interact, and the breadth of the roles they dipped in and out of, and the knowledge they had of history and all these different walks of life... just really, really impressive. I bumped into Jones outside and was proud of myself for not going all fanboy on him. Just said "Great show, man" and he gave me a sincere thank you. 

And, uh, then I had a beer. (We did stop at this punk-y Korean place in our hood on the way home. They do a can of Hite + a shot of soju for $6.)

Accidental Pairings

1.) For the second time since they entered our fair state, I grabbed a 4-pk of the Dogfish Head 90-minute. I was planning to coast w./my PBR for an ersatz Beef/Burgundy over noodles (butter/wine/mushrooms sauce w./ heavy black pepper and a full suite of "Italian" seasonings). My wife, however, grabbed one of the IPAs. The round hop structure sort'a "wrapped around" the pungent red-wine/pepper/oregano and just married the garlic. My PBR grew warm on the table.

2.) Weird one. Doctor visit in Mobile prompted a stop at a local specialty grocery (old gas station converted to lunch counter and diverse foreign-foodstuffs). My first encounter with Great Divide Hercules Double IPA (though I assume that it's been covered here?). At 10%, I took the causeway (slow road) across the Bay as I sipped, and and searched my car for something to nibble on. Big and flowery hops with a hint of what I can only call fruity (blackberries came to mind*), though not a trace of sweetness. Alas, the only edible in the vehicle was Joya Sesame Crunch (basically a sesame-seed brittle w./ a whiff of honey). Never intentionally paired a beer with a sweet in my life. Old dogs and all.

[*reminder - my palate is cigarette sodden]

8 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Accidental Pairings

1.) For the second time since they entered our fair state, I grabbed a 4-pk of the Dogfish Head 90-minute. I was planning to coast w./my PBR for an ersatz Beef/Burgundy over noodles (butter/wine/mushrooms sauce w./ heavy black pepper and a full suite of "Italian" seasonings). My wife, however, grabbed one of the IPAs. The round hop structure sort'a "wrapped around" the pungent red-wine/pepper/oregano and just married the garlic. My PBR grew warm on the table.

2.) Weird one. Doctor visit in Mobile prompted a stop at a local specialty grocery (old gas station converted to lunch counter and diverse foreign-foodstuffs). My first encounter with Great Divide Hercules Double IPA (though I assume that it's been covered here?). At 10%, I took the causeway (slow road) across the Bay as I sipped, and and searched my car for something to nibble on. Big and flowery hops with a hint of what I can only call fruity (blackberries came to mind*), though not a trace of sweetness. Alas, the only edible in the vehicle was Joya Sesame Crunch (basically a sesame-seed brittle w./ a whiff of honey). Never intentionally paired a beer with a sweet in my life. Old dogs and all.

[*reminder - my palate is cigarette sodden]

Never would have paired an IPA and beef burgundy. Fascinating!

I get a DIPA with a little honey, for sure. 10%, I bet there was some malt doing some talking there.

A lot of high alcohol beers as well as porters and stouts can go well with sweets. Still the best pairing I ever had, though, was a barrel aged Old Rasputin (Russian imperial stout) paired with a bleu cheese and orange marmalade "grilled cheese". Orange, chocolate, bleu cheese and a hint of bourbon... pure magic. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Picked up some Prairie Phantasmagoria DIPA and some fresh Envie. Mmmmm...now I gotta decide what's going on the grill and when to inflate the baby pool.

That beer name is awfully similar to Omnipollo Fatamorgana. 

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25314/106819/

9 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Awww yeah. Good stuff here. Big citrus and tropical flavors. 7% APA. Fans of Citrusinesis will enjoy this one. 

ybmqeAp.jpg

That sounds really promising. Off to the beer store I go.

Ballast Point finally launched in Memphis area. It's been in the state for a couple years. A couple co workers and myself got to go and drink to our fill at Bass Pro Shops downtown the other night. Pretty fun event. 

crTBmRR.jpg

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Looks like CS is about to start canning...

izJC3as.jpg

Now if only it was cheaper...

6 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Now if only it was cheaper...

If I had to guess, it'll be 16oz or 19.2 stovepipe. I honestly can't see them doing 6 packs without severely cutting the cost. 

A 6er of CS would be like $45. 

I'm totally confused, so I'll ask here. When someone says an DIPA is "big", what the hell does that mean? The reason I ask is that I just had my first of these Prairie DIPA's and it's referenced as "big". I though big would mean bitter or hop bite. This doesn't have that. 

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'm totally confused, so I'll ask here. When someone says an DIPA is "big", what the hell does that mean? The reason I ask is that I just had my first of these Prairie DIPA's and it's referenced as "big". I though big would mean bitter or hop bite. This doesn't have that. 

I think it's dependent on taste and more specifically, mouthfeel. But "big" to me is anything 9%+. However, "big" doesn't necessarily coincide with "dangerous". SoPro Crowd Control, for example is approaching "big", but it doesn't taste anything like it, therefore, it's "dangerous". Feel me?

That APA I posted earlier is "big" based on typical ABV of other APAs. 

Make sense? I dunno, been drankin'. 

19 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I think it's dependent on taste and more specifically, mouthfeel. But "big" to me is anything 9%+. However, "big" doesn't necessarily coincide with "dangerous". SoPro Crowd Control, for example is approaching "big", but it doesn't taste anything like it, therefore, it's "dangerous". Feel me?

That APA I posted earlier is "big" based on typical ABV of other APAs. 

Make sense? I dunno, been drankin'. 

Hell yes. Makes perfect sense now.

11 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

963CF85C-0C32-49B6-87D3-CC3A5EDED12F_zps

Picked this up today as well. Never had, but came recommended at the store. So of course, I had to buy. 

I've had it. Same style as Chimay Blue, Rochefort 8 and Gulden Draak. Those three are better beers IMO, but that's strong company and what you have there is no slouch. What'd you pay for it?

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

I've had it. Same style as Chimay Blue, Rochefort 8 and Gulden Draak. Those three are better beers IMO, but that's strong company and what you have there is no slouch. What'd you pay for it?

Just reading up on this one. Looks

solid. 

I paid about $12 for it. 

28 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Just reading up on this one. Looks

solid. 

I paid about $12 for it. 

It's a tasty beer and that's a fair price. Was about that last time I saw it down here. You'll enjoy it. 

Hmm. Realized I've had a lot of exposure to Belgian beer.

Archived