Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

13 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Absolutley appropriate.

ETA- Thanks man. I've been a weepy mess all day.

Putting a pet down is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. Putting a pet down is probably the most important thing I've ever done. In both senses, it's probably the most responsible thing I've ever done.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

Putting a pet down is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. Putting a pet down is probably the most important thing I've ever done. In both senses, it's probably the most responsible thing I've ever done.

It's a horribly painful decision to make. My mom called it the "ultimate gift" a pet owner could bestow on a pet. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

1F4CBCE9-C8EB-4294-B15A-FFD8C8CF335B_zpsFresh DDH Mosaic Envie. Bottled a week ago. Damn it's good.

Its been a rough ass week. My wife's grandfather passed away last Friday. We buried him Tuesday. That same day, we put our 10 year old daschund in the vet. We had to put her down today. So, the week of sucks ends with me pounding beers. 

RIP Grinch and Gracie.

I'm so sorry to hear that, man. My condolences to you and your family. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It's a horribly painful decision to make. My mom called it the "ultimate gift" a pet owner could bestow on a pet. 

Agree in both parts.

41 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Condolences also Tiger. We think of our Grand Parents more as time goes on and life becomes less hectic. Mine were heroes to me.  Went through the same thing about a year ago with our family dog of 16 years. God is good with pet owners. You know when it is time. 

Back to beer now. Non-contributor. Do not do craft beer. Just Bud Lite and water. No liquor other than an occasional sip of scotch or spice rum. 

12 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Condolences also Tiger. We think of our Grand Parents more as time goes on and life becomes less hectic. Mine were heroes to me.  Went through the same thing about a year ago with our family dog of 16 years. God is good with pet owners. You know when it is time. 

Back to beer now. Non-contributor. Do not do craft beer. Just Bud Lite and water. No liquor other than an occasional sip of scotch or spice rum. 

Thanks, Salty. Rough times like this are a result of the good. Thanks for the kind words.

This thread is really just beer of choice. If you like it(or hate it), it's all good. More a place to hang out and shoot the bull.

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Thanks, Salty. Rough times like this are a result of the good. Thanks for the kind words.

This thread is really just beer of choice. If you like it(or hate it), it's all good. More a place to hang out and shoot the bull.

All will be well. Promise

16 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Thanks bud. Gonna be an adjustment.

Hows that young'un?

Eating, growing, pooping, waking up every two hours. IOW great. ?

On June 2, 2017 at 5:39 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Fruited beers seem to be the best that I've had on nitro. I had a FBS on nitro recently that was totally bland. But I had Rubaeus and Funkwerks Raspberry Provincial on nitro and they were beautiful. Perhaps it's the raspberry or perhaps just the style that adds a creaminess to it. 

Odell's Lugene(milk stout) is phenomenal on nitro. 

Yeah it makes sense with fruited beers because the creaminess really goes well with the fruitiness. For stouts and IPAs I just don't see the appeal. One might surprise me one day. I wonder what a Xocoveza nitro would taste like.

Not generally a cigar guy, but my boss brought me some Cubans back from Havana. A Cohiba and a gose on the front porch after finishing my mowing? Yes, please. Lightheaded but enjoying myself. 

Edit: I've no idea how Castro smoked these constantly and lived as long as he did. One a day might kill me by 50.

4416ED1B-DBBD-4856-BC71-0E6DAA15BEDA_zpsHad this one last night. Great beer! A nice hoppy bite, great tropical fruit taste with a nice maltiness. I'll be seeking this one out again.

Also had Southern Prohibition's Devil's Harvest Breakfast IPA. It's similar to the previous offering they had, just seemed to have a bit more malt? Hard to pinpoint. Could have been the difference in freshness really. Definitely a really good beer!

Thanks @ShocksMyBrain!

About to pop a Lindeman's framboise for the USMNT team vs El Tri. Shock the world, USA.

I picked a terrible weekend to not check in.

@Tiger Refuge, I'm so sorry, on both counts. We lost a Gracie a couple years ago. I cried quite a bit. It's gotten better but we still miss her. To Grinch and Gracie.

@Bigbens42, glad to hear you have a perfectly normal baby on your hands. And if you stayed awake long enough to get this far, congrats, lol. What'd you think of that game last night? Magic goal by Bradley. Crazy that even adequate finishing skill from Pulisic should've won it for us. I guess I should be glad that we had all those terrible giveaways on our own side of the field and didn't win a single ball out of the air until Altidore came on but still left the Azteca with a point. 

@ShocksMyBrain, $10 for 48 oz of Crooked Stave? Am I reading that right? That could be a game changer.

@SaltyTiger, any chance that you like Yeungling or PBR as much as Bud Light? J/k, sorta :)

Went down to Hilton Head this weekend to get the lay of the land. Had 2 local IPAs and both were awful. Just god awful. It was a bit disconcerting, especially since there are some good Charleston-area breweries whose beers were almost nowhere to be found on the island. On the other hand, I found a 4-pack of Creature Comforts Tritonia upon our return home. Cucumber works just fine in a gose, yessir. 

I was perfectly happy with the point. A point at Azteca is a great result. I remember when anything but a loss there was a pipe dream.

I have a thread for the World Cup in non AU sports. Pop in sometime!

Going to see Phish in Chicago about a month from now. Lagunitas and Half Acre are on the agenda, as I've been to both already. Sunday show will be my 50th, so I'll be needing to pack something nice to celebrate with.

Anyhow, a new brewery opened up this year--Mikerphone--that sounds promising. 

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39889/

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Going to see Phish in Chicago about a month from now. Lagunitas and Half Acre are on the agenda, as I've been to both already. Sunday show will be my 50th, so I'll be needing to pack something nice to celebrate with.

Anyhow, a new brewery opened up this year--Mikerphone--that sounds promising. 

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/39889/

Drifting OT, but my parents got me a belly dancer for my 50th.

Congrats so far.

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Drifting OT, but my parents got me a belly dancer for my 50th.

Congrats so far.

I'm sure I'll see a few of them while I'm there.

But I meant my 50th time seeing Phish. ;)

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'm sure I'll see a few of them while I'm there.

But I meant my 50th time seeing them. ;)

I understand, he said simply. Ooops.

Congrats on your impending 50th.

I thought about this this morning, and I'm curious what those of you who enjoy IPAs will have to say. 

What are your top 5 "go-to" IPAs (that means those that you can generally find around the beer store you frequent, or those like it. So, no seasonals, limited releases or obscure breweries). 

Off the top of my head, mine are - in no particular order: SweetWater IPA; Cigar City - Jai Alai; Bell's Two-Hearted Ale; Westbrook IPA; Sculpin IPA. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I thought about this this morning, and I'm curious what those of you who enjoy IPAs will have to say. 

What are your top 5 "go-to" IPAs (that means those that you can generally find around the beer store you frequent, or those like it. So, no seasonals, limited releases or obscure breweries). 

Off the top of my head, mine are - in no particular order: SweetWater IPA; Cigar City - Jai Alai; Bell's Two-Hearted Ale; Westbrook IPA; Sculpin IPA. 

Now we've got the Dogfish Head in Ala, I'd start w./their 90-min when I run into them and when they fit the menu, Jai Alai, then Fairhope's Causeway ('course I've got to go into town for any). Not 5, but enough to get me through. That Great Divide I tried a few weeks ago will play in occasionally, but I'll rarely go all the way to West Mobile for a beer. Poor Good People has fallen off my radar due to newly broadened horizons (some extent, to my education here).

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Now we've got the Dogfish Head in Ala, I'd start w./their 90-min when I run into them and when they fit the menu, Jai Alai, then Fairhope's Causeway ('course I've got to go into town for any). Not 5, but enough to get me through. That Great Divide I tried a few weeks ago will play in occasionally, but I'll rarely go all the way to West Mobile for a beer. Poor Good People has fallen off my radar due to newly broadened horizons (some extent, to my education here).

That's a good point on the 90 minute. Usually not a go-to for me due to the high alcohol content, but when the occasion calls for it, its as high on my list as any other. 

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Good list.

I'll go Creature Comforts Tropicalia, Scofflaw Basement, Oskar Blues, Terrapin Hi-5, and Bell's Two-Hearted.

I realize a couple of those could be considered hard to get or obscure in other markets, so I'll sub in Lagunitas and Stone.

Dale's Pale Ale- obviously not an IPA, but I go to it almost as much as anything else on the list. 

Archived