Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good list.

I'll go Creature Comforts Tropicalia, Scofflaw Basement, Oskar Blues, Terrapin Hi-5, and Bell's Two-Hearted.

I realize a couple of those could be considered hard to get or obscure in other markets, so I'll sub in Lagunitas and Stone.

Dale's Pale Ale- obviously not an IPA, but I go to it almost as much as anything else on the list. 

Yeah I dig Dale's Pale Ale. I haven't been as big a fan of their IPA, though. Hi-5 is another one that I really like - to me it goes hand in hand with Jai Alai.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's a good point on the 90 minute. Usually not a go-to for me due to the high alcohol content, but when the occasion calls for it, its as high on my list as any other. 

and (again) situationally, the Causeway rise to the top when riding an inner tube in the sun.

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah I dig Dale's Pale Ale. I haven't been as big a fan of their IPA, though. Hi-5 is another one that I really like - to me it goes hand in hand with Jai Alai.

I love this conversation as we move towards summer and water activities, as all of those beers and so many more are available in cans. Honestly that might be the single most important trend in beer for me over the last however many years in terms of practical daily application. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I love this conversation as we move towards summer and water activities, as all of those beers and so many more are available in cans. Honestly that might be the single most important trend in beer for me over the last however many years in terms of practical daily application. 

Agreed, and honestly, I like a lot of these beers more from a can than from a bottle. Not sure if that's my mind, or if there's some advantage to cans. 

I'd really like to talk about my favorite new trend - tropical fruit/citrus infused beer. Dog Fish Head Flesh and Blood IPA and Avery Liliko'i Kepolo are two of my favorites right now. 

Also of note, I was recently at Liquor Express in Huntsville (probably the widest selection of craft beer in Huntsville), and noticed they didn't have anything from Avery. So, I asked the two guys at the counter whether or not they have any or have plans to get any - and they both looked at me like they have no idea what I was talking about. Am I crazy, or is Avery not a well known brewery among enthusiasts? I was really surprised by their reaction. Avery makes really, really good beer. 

Also of note, I was recently at Liquor Express in Huntsville (probably the widest selection of craft beer in Huntsville), and noticed they didn't have anything from Avery. So, I asked the two guys at the counter whether or not they have any or have plans to get any - and they both looked at me like they have no idea what I was talking about. Am I crazy, or is Avery not a well known brewery among enthusiasts? I was really surprised by their reaction. Avery makes really, really good beer. 

Just glanced at their website. I've never seen any of those beers in my end of Ala. either. We're so depraved deprived here.

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Avery is very well known. Guessing they just don't distribute in AL. 

And agreed about some beers tasting better from a can, especially IPAs and pale ales. Alchemist insists that customers should only drink Heady Topper from the can. 

I had dart league last night. Was not in the mood for high grav or high prices so I stuck to High Life in the bottle. It was thoroughly pleasant. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I had dart league last night. 

What is this you speak of???? Man, that sounds awesome. 

On a similar note, some friends and I were joking the other night while watching the Stanley Cup that we should start a pick-up hockey game among out-of-shape men like us, who have never played hockey before. Sounded like a good idea at the time...

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

What is this you speak of???? Man, that sounds awesome. 

On a similar note, some friends and I were joking the other night while watching the Stanley Cup that we should start a pick-up hockey game among out-of-shape men like us, who have never played hockey before. Sounded like a good idea at the time...

I LOVE this idea. 

I'm back in a dart league here in ATL. Supposedly in a reserve role, although I've played 2 out of 2 weeks so far this season. Played in the league every season for years- actually worked my way up from the F/bottom division to the A/top- but gradually backed out once the little monkey came. Monday nights in bars- especially since so many of them offer quality beer- aren't conducive to productive weeks. Also, I run my neighborhood's installment of a city-wide cornhole league on Wednesdays. That actually pays a little cash and is in my 'hood, so it won out over darts. Have been completely out of darts for a few seasons but a neighbor friend needed an alternate for his team. He'd been trying to get me to play with his team for forever. The rust is slow to shake off. 

Side note: my wife and I were dart teammates (and roommates) before we started dating. We also played in a co-ed league together for awhile. We'd get in honest-to-god dart arguments driving home some nights. 

My top 5 loaclly readily  available would really only be a top 3 due to our limited market. That said...Great Raft Commotion, Parish Envie, and Bells Two Hearted. My local brewery is getting better, but still not quite there with their IPA yet. As a surrogate, I'll add Wiseace Ananda and Southern Prohibition Devil's Harvest to round out my top 5. I can get them about an hour away. So, local...

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I played darts in college. The wall in my apartment was proof of how bad I sucked. The beer was proof of how good I was.

Hell of a line right there, my friend. I'm not even joking. NICE.

Hilarious! 

Please explain...

Oh, we'd straight up get in fights about dart strategy. "Why didn't you point them on 17?!?! They had it open and it's not like you were gonna close 16s with your last dart!" Or Shanghai was the biggie in the coed league. She was merciless. Points, points, points. I'd try to close stuff. Silly me. Or the real no-no was when I'd make polite suggestions on how she might throw better- slow down, don't bounce, keep the elbow tucked, etc. She ain't bout that mansplaining. 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I thought about this this morning, and I'm curious what those of you who enjoy IPAs will have to say. 

What are your top 5 "go-to" IPAs (that means those that you can generally find around the beer store you frequent, or those like it. So, no seasonals, limited releases or obscure breweries). 

Off the top of my head, mine are - in no particular order: SweetWater IPA; Cigar City - Jai Alai; Bell's Two-Hearted Ale; Westbrook IPA; Sculpin IPA. 

On my current availability:

Two Hearted

Wiseacre Ananda

SoPro Devil's Harvest

Sculpin

Grapefruit Sculpin

If it were Colorado, it'd be different. 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Going out on a limb here, but I think the guys at Liquor Express just may not drink much beer. I've bought Maharajah at Hop City in Birmingham in the past, so perhaps they don't distribute in Huntsville or pulled out of the state entirely.

Most people who drink craft are aware of Avery. They have a massive brewery in Boulder. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Going out on a limb here, but I think the guys at Liquor Express just may not drink much beer. I've bought Maharajah at Hop City in Birmingham in the past, so perhaps they don't distribute in Huntsville or pulled out of the state entirely.

Most people who drink craft are aware of Avery. They have a massive brewery in Boulder. 

Yeah, I don't know. I don't drink that much beer. Okay, I drink a lot of beer, but I'm definitely not any sort of enthusiast. I might try a new beer every couple of weeks if I'm lucky. 

I just figured, you work in a beer store. Certainly, you've heard of Avery. I know they at least distribute their kegs, because the Nook, which actually does have the best selection in Huntsville has had Maharajah on tap at least once. 

I just looked on Avery's distribution map, and right now they don't have anything in Huntsville, but do in other parts of Alabama. What a bummer. Majarajah is probably my favorite Imperial/x2 IPA

Yeah, I don't know. I don't drink that much beer. Okay, I drink a lot of beer, but I'm definitely not any sort of enthusiast. I might try a new beer every couple of weeks if I'm lucky. 

I just figured, you work in a beer store. Certainly, you've heard of Avery. I know they at least distribute their kegs, because the Nook, which actually does have the best selection in Huntsville has had Maharajah on tap at least once. 

I just looked on Avery's distribution map, and right now they don't have anything in Huntsville, but do in other parts of Alabama. What a bummer. Majarajah is probably my favorite Imperial/x2 IPA

Agree about Maharajah. It's a fun one.

Huntsville... have you ever had any Main Channel beers? I think they've been on tap in the Nook and some other places. I honestly don't know how good they've been. Haven't gotten to try any since my buddy opened up shop. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Agree about Maharajah. It's a fun one.

Huntsville... have you ever had any Main Channel beers? I think they've been on tap in the Nook and some other places. I honestly don't know how good they've been. Haven't gotten to try any since my buddy opened up shop. 

I think you've told me about them before, in Guntersville?

I think you've told me about them before, in Guntersville?

Si. Okay, cool, as long as I've done my duty as promoter friend. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Si. Okay, cool, as long as I've done my duty as promoter friend. 

Yeah, I haven't seen their beer yet, or maybe I just haven't noticed it. I'll definitely keep an eye out!

Even though I'm almost at IPA burnout, I picked up a sixer of Lagunitas Waldo's Special Ale.  At $11 bucks and over 11% ABV, I figured I couldn't afford to not buy it.  Lagunitas does IPA very well (I'm not crazy about their over-hopped other-than IPAs: Stoopid Wit, Pils, Cappuccino Stout...), but they exceeded my expectations with this one.  

Hell must have frozen over. A brewery is opening at the end of the month about 15 minutes from the house. Don't have to go to midtown/downtown(30-45 min drive) to chill at a brewery. 

I really hope they make some good stuff. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Hell must have frozen over. A brewery is opening at the end of the month about 15 minutes from the house. Don't have to go to midtown/downtown(30-45 min drive) to chill at a brewery. 

I really hope they make some good stuff. 

Reminds me how lucky I am to live in a smaller city. 

16 hours ago, AuburnSoldier said:

Even though I'm almost at IPA burnout, I picked up a sixer of Lagunitas Waldo's Special Ale.  At $11 bucks and over 11% ABV, I figured I couldn't afford to not buy it.  Lagunitas does IPA very well (I'm not crazy about their over-hopped other-than IPAs: Stoopid Wit, Pils, Cappuccino Stout...), but they exceeded my expectations with this one.  

Waldo's an interesting one. Takes me right up to the edge of my boozy/malty DIPA limit, but is still pretty drinkable for the ABV. I'm a fan of those guys.

18 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Reminds me how lucky I am to live in a smaller city. 

I live in the very outer suburb of Memphis. I can throw a baseball to the Mississippi state line. It's quiet around here, but it's strip malls and neighborhoods for days. 

All the cool stuff geared for people my age(early 30s) is in Midtown, so a brewery two suburbs over is a huge deal for me. 

Archived