Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

The obviously crappy part of the SN Beer Camp is that it's 12 different beers. So as I move through them and should I discover something that's amazing, I'm screwed unless I want to buy another 12 pack. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn fine beer. Shocks wasn't lying. If you love Citrusinensis, you will love this. 

IMG_20170601_173119099_zpsbklvsanl.jpg

Sadie and I made a robot out of a Westbrook can lol. 

IMG_20170601_191034644_zpsu9xua12t.jpg

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

418825D8-5EFE-421F-842C-F5C89A9B3310_zps

My first cask beer. Holy. Schnikeys.

ETA - Sorry, it was a Virginia brewery IPA. The cask angle was great.

Cask and nitro IPAs just don't do it for me.  They come off too flat to me. 

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Cask and nitro IPAs just don't do it for me.  They come off too flat to me. 

I can live with things being a tad flat, but nitro bothers me because of the way it tends to mute the flavor of the beer,

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I can live with things being a tad flat, but nitro bothers me because of the way it tends to mute the flavor of the beer,

Yeah, maybe it was that this was a good beer, I didn't mind that it was a bit flat'ish(?). Perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about? ?

13 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Sadie and I made a robot out of a Westbrook can lol. 

IMG_20170601_191034644_zpsu9xua12t.jpg

So cool. I'm not a naturally creative/artistic guy, but I really hope I can do fun little projects like this with my little girl as she gets older. 

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, maybe it was that this was a good beer, I didn't mind that it was a bit flat'ish(?). Perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about? ?

Dude. You like what you like. 

I'm like you, I think. What translates to casks/engines/nitro and what doesn't is more about that particular beer than the style for me. To each his own. Beauty of our hoppy hobby (I'm sure that's already the name of a homebrew shop somewhere, but dibs if not). 

Edit: Btw, I was not implying that Shocks was trying to tell you what to like, or trying to tell us that IPAs should never be "flattened" in those ways. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dude. You like what you like. 

I'm like you, I think. What translates to casks/engines/nitro and what doesn't is more about that particular beer than the style for me. To each his own. Beauty of our hoppy hobby (I'm sure that's already the name of a homebrew shop somewhere, but dibs if not). 

Edit: Btw, I was not implying that Shocks was trying to tell you what to like, or trying to tell us that IPAs should never be "flattened" in those ways. 

Absolutely not telling anyone what is justified as a "good beer". I just prefer my IPAs to be more carbonated. I also prefer them to be pretty cold. I don't think that letting an IPA come to or close to room temp does anything to the characteristics of the style unlike a stout.

Anyway. Still moving through the Beer Camp Across the World. Bruery's Raspberry Sundae was meh. Drinking the Saint Arnold Berliner now. It's okay. 

Boneyard's DIPA was fantastic though. Boneyard is a much underhyped brewery putting out some DANK IPAs. Only available in the northwest/west coast(I think).

@Tiger Refuge, I won't have your package ready to go as I thought I would. It'll be early part next week. I'd rather send it next week anyway since the weather is getting warmer and I wouldn't want it sitting in a warehouse somewhere over the weekend. 

9 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Fruited beers seem to be the best that I've had on nitro. I had a FBS on nitro recently that was totally bland. But I had Rubaeus and Funkwerks Raspberry Provincial on nitro and they were beautiful. Perhaps it's the raspberry or perhaps just the style that adds a creaminess to it. 

Odell's Lugene(milk stout) is phenomenal on nitro. 

^I'm starting to wonder how much these cloudy PAs are operating on a Pavlovian level. I look at them in a glass and I literally have that tickly feeling in my jaws that precedes salivation and anticipates citrusy, tropical refreshment. 

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

^I'm starting to wonder how much these cloudy PAs are operating on a Pavlovian level. I look at them in a glass and I literally have that tickly feeling in my jaws that precedes salivation and anticipates citrusy, tropical refreshment. 

TBH, not having seen/tried many in my neighborhood, afraid I've not yet heard the bell.

Lot of people fired up about AB/InBev purchasing a stake in RateBeer. DFH wants all their beer withdrawn from the site. 

I use BA, so it doesn't affect me, but for those that do use RateBeer, what are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Lot of people fired up about AB/InBev purchasing a stake in RateBeer. DFH wants all their beer withdrawn from the site. 

I use BA, so it doesn't affect me, but for those that do use RateBeer, what are your thoughts?

I was a RateBeer guy. Had seem some behavior from the BA guys that seemed out of line with general beer culture kindness. Don't even remember now what it was.

But yeah, hard to trust a beer rating site that is co-owned by a conglomerate whose stated goal is a monopoly on beer. 

I've never used Ratebeer, but have been following the news. Really doesn't matter a whole lot to me. Seems like another sign ofthe rich get richer. 

Im becoming convinced that my palette isn't sensitive or developed enough to taste some of the things that others are tasting. So I'm either going back to my three tiered system, or I'm proposing a new system. Two sliding scales. One based solely on "taste" the other on "hammeredness".

ETA- I guess that's what untapped is...

57 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I've never used Ratebeer, but have been following the news. Really doesn't matter a whole lot to me. Seems like another sign ofthe rich get richer. 

Im becoming convinced that my palette isn't sensitive or developed enough to taste some of the things that others are tasting. So I'm either going back to my three tiered system, or I'm proposing a new system. Two sliding scales. One based solely on "taste" the other on "hammeredness".

This made me laugh heartily. 

I've never liked Ratebeer, their ratings never were in line with my personal ratings like Beer Advocate or even Untappd.

I still think BA should've stuck with their original formula requiring X amount of words before submitting a review. 

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I've never liked Ratebeer, their ratings never were in line with my personal ratings like Beer Advocate or even Untappd.

I still think BA should've stuck with their original formula requiring X amount of words before submitting a review. 

Got it (he said simply)

Many Thanks.

1F4CBCE9-C8EB-4294-B15A-FFD8C8CF335B_zpsFresh DDH Mosaic Envie. Bottled a week ago. Damn it's good.

Its been a rough ass week. My wife's grandfather passed away last Friday. We buried him Tuesday. That same day, we put our 10 year old daschund in the vet. We had to put her down today. So, the week of sucks ends with me pounding beers. 

RIP Grinch and Gracie.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

1F4CBCE9-C8EB-4294-B15A-FFD8C8CF335B_zpsFresh DDH Mosaic Envie. Bottled a week ago. Damn it's good.

Its been a rough ass week. My wife's grandfather passed away last Friday. We buried him Tuesday. That same day, we put our 10 year old daschund in the vet. We had to put her down today. So, the week of sucks ends with me pounding beers. 

RIP Grinch and Gracie.

Damn. Condolences.

At a loss for the words. Would "Good night Gracie" be inappropriate?

Beer has helped me in the past.

6 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Damn. Condolences.

At a loss for the words. Would "Good night Gracie" be inappropriate?

Beer has helped me in the past.

Absolutley appropriate.

ETA- Thanks man. I've been a weepy mess all day.

Archived