Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Same ones I mentioned earlier in the thread. 3.2 % by weight unless it is sold at room temperature in a licensed liquor store. Basically, crafts and real imports are the only full strength beers you can get. If it isn't 3.2 it is labeled as "OK+".

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best - Czechoslovakian Budweiser - not same as ours, different and older brewers

Honorable mention for best - Good People's, Snake Handler ( I am a :homer: )

Worst - Rein lander from Wisconsin

Honorable mention for worst - Carling Black Label

• 4 weeks later...

You could just list your best and worst overall, or break it down by category. Here's mine:

Worst:

Tie between Rolling Rock and Dixie beer. Dixie, I'm convinced, is just alcohol infused urine.

Best:

IPA: A fresh local Sweetwater IPA

Best Stout: Tie - Atlanta Brewing Company Coffee Oatmeal Stout and Sam Smith's

Best Brown Ale: Good People Brown (Sam Smith's Nut Brown is good too)

Best Wheat: Oberon

Best High Grav: Chimay Blue or Red

Best "American" Style cheap beer: PBR

Best "go to" beer in a bar with little selection: Sam Adams

Best Overall: Brooklyn Local 2 - Seriously best beer I've had in my life

Most Overrated:

Fat Tire second most overrated Delerium Tremens

Dixie reg is not good at all. But Dixie Blackened Voodoo is superb. It's a black beer, spicy, tastes like it has a slight touch of pepper in it. Hard to find but give it a try if you have a chance.

got to agree with you on PBR. There was a time when, like all American beers, it was just carbonated water with alcohol. (US beers got awful in the 70s and early 80s.) Their tap beer was never bad. but they got their act back together and it's now my favorite go to cheap American beer. Not bad at all.

Stroh's is the worst been I've ever had. Greasy. I've only tried it once and never will again. They may have gotten their act together since then, too but I'm not going to risk trying it.

Schaeffer was, by far, the worst beer ever.

In the day that my favorite was "COLD" Beer, I wouldn't touch it if given to me.

Pure Goat Urine that stuff!

• 1 month later...

Been playing around with a Dogfish Head Randall today at the store. Basically a fancy French press for beer. In this picture you can see Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA being pushed though a chamber full of Simcoe hops.

Results in a floral take on the original 60 Minute IPA. Very tasty.

null_zps3d5587f9.jpg

Simcoe brick:

null_zpse13ce3cf.jpg

I know Bud/Miller drinkers who drive to Texas for beer runs.

It sounds as if Oklahoma is dry county paradise, with presumably narrow exceptions for those living in the more heavily populated counties that makeup the OKC metro area.

I know Bud/Miller drinkers who drive to Texas for beer runs.

It sounds as if Oklahoma is dry county paradise, with presumably narrow exceptions for those living in the more heavily populated counties that makeup the OKC metro area.

I don't know of too many dry counties, just the dumb state law. Fortunately craft beers are surging in popularity and many restaurants are getting the licensing to sell full strength beer. There are a few places in Lawton (my nearest city, about the size of Dothan), which have upwards of 70 different beers on hand. Things are looking up, but it's still annoying to have to go to a liquor store for something as simple as Sam Adams.

New favorite... Come Hell or High Watermelon. It's way better than it sounds. Very crisp, with just a hint of watermelon (which isn't sweet). Very refreshing.

This is probably sacrilege but I had a Westmalle Trappist Ale Tripel this weekend. I really didn't care for it. I don't know what it was exactly except that there was a medicine like taste to it...I didn't think they did a great job of hiding the alcohol I guess. I know that is considered the gold standard for Belgian tripels, but I actually prefer New Belgium Trippel (from the makers of Fat Tire) over this one.

For reference, the brothers over at Beer Advocate give Westmalle a 100/100 (world class). They give New Belgium Tripel a 92/100 (outstanding).

The Brothers over at BA really aren't any different than you and I. They certainly aren't an authority figure when it comes to beer, they just own and operate the site and events.

I always go with the user ratings on BA because there's a lot more than just the two from the Bros. In the case of the Westmalle Tripel though, I guess there's not much disparity in the two ratings(96 & 100).

Had a lot of very good beers. Which one is best is really a matter of what I'm up for at the time.

Worst beer - Stroh's. Tasted like grease.

Now that you're in Colorado, try some Left Hand . Two of their best IMO are Ambidextrous and Week Sauce.

Chuck the bottle capped and get ya a growler, Colorado's loaded with great micro-brew.

Now that you're in Colorado, try some Left Hand . Two of their best IMO are Ambidextrous and Week Sauce.

I've tried pretty much all of Left Hand's standard line, but I haven't tried those(draft only?). I'll give 'em a shot if I see them.

Chuck the bottle capped and get ya a growler, Colorado's loaded with great micro-brew.

I've got a handful of growlers, including a stainless one. I'm just not that big on commiting to 64oz at a time. I guess I need to keep a 32oz on hand.

null_zpse730eafd.jpg

Went to Oskar Blues in Longmont yesterday and grabbed these. Also had a Mango Habanero Dale's Pale Ale from a cask, nice heat on it. My wife got an oak aged porter too that was good.

We saw two other people in Auburn hats in the taproom too. I guess with Dale being a former AU student, it's only appropriate that AU fans, students, and alumni go visit the brewery.

Currently sitting at the table in Belle's Castle. Ordered a Chimay Blue. It's spectacular.

EDIT: Had a Chimay Red right behind it. Also spectacular.

Truck Stop Honey! Brewed by Back Forty Brewery in Gadsden AL. Not the best or the worst English Style Brown Ale. It is worth a mention IMO. If you like a strong ale smell you won't get it. It has very little head when poured. As the name would suggest it does have a slight sweetness. Not a strong ale abut very drinkable. Like I said, t is worth a mention.

I've tried pretty much all of Left Hand's standard line, but I haven't tried those(draft only?). I'll give 'em a shot if I see them.

I have only seen them once at a Craft Beer Festival, and they were on draft. I think most of the stuff from Left Hand is pretty solid, but these were outstanding.

Truck Stop Honey! Brewed by Back Forty Brewery in Gadsden AL. Not the best or the worst English Style Brown Ale. It is worth a mention IMO. If you like a strong ale smell you won't get it. It has very little head when poured. As the name would suggest it does have a slight sweetness. Not a strong ale abut very drinkable. Like I said, t is worth a mention.

I bought a sixer of those earlier in the year. Very smooth ale with slight elements of its namesake honey sweetness. It fits nicely in to the occasional brew before bed category.

Archived