Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

Worst - Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale. I will give any beer a chance and make it a point to try new ones frequently, but...this was the first one I just could not drink. Think sipping on a bottle of liquid smoke.

Best - Mikkeller Black Hole. Coffee, chocolate, citrus and licorice flavors with 14%abv that is very well hidden except for the nice warming sensation. Most complex beer I've ever tasted.

That Rogue is far from the worst beer I've ever had. That said, it really wasn't good at all. I bought it out of sheer curiosity and the novelty of it.

I need to start drinking more Mikkeller. I've only had the Beer Geek Breakfast, but it was damn good.

Different strokes for different folks. The smoke flavor was to overwhelming and to synthetic tasting. I commend them for thinking outside the box, but just dont think it worked in this situation. I couldn't recommend this beer to anyone.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unibroue La Fin du Monde

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy for yard work.

La Fin du Monde was one of my first "good beers" I ever had. The End of the World...how can you resist? Unibroue makes some really great stuff.

I dunno how you can drink Summer Shandy. It tasted and smelled like straight Lemon Pine Sol to me. There are so many better "refreshing" beers available during the Summer IMO. But I digress, to each their own.

So, how often do you drink Lemon Pine Sol? :poke:

Worst: Dead Guy Ale, bought a six pack, took 3 sips, threw the rest away.

Best/Favorite: Whatever Namath was drinking on the sideline. "Can I kiss you?". Awesome.

Another to add to my list of worsts-Hoegaarden. It's been a few years since I tried it. Either my pallet wasn't developed or it was brewed with soap. Either way, it tased like Irish Spring.

I don't like it either. I know a number of folks who do though.

And its 9.99 a sixer. For that price, there's plenty of craft beers you can get that are far superior.

Holy s*** you just lost all credibility. Rogue Dead Guy Ale is awesome.

I'm not a fan of Oskar Blues TenFidy. It might be because on a road trip, early in the morning I thought I grabbed a Diet Coke, but I grabbed a TenFidy instead. I didn't look at it before I opened it, and a big sip of 10.5% ABV Imperial Stout in the morning was not good.

Holy s*** you just lost all credibility. Rogue Dead Guy Ale is awesome.

I agree, Rogue Dead Guy is definitely up there on my list of likes.

And I'll have to add to my list of horrible beer, the first beer I remember drinking...Schaeffer Light. Good God that was/is a horrible disgusting elixir.

I'm not a fan of Oskar Blues TenFidy. It might be because on a road trip, early in the morning I thought I grabbed a Diet Coke, but I grabbed a TenFidy instead. I didn't look at it before I opened it, and a big sip of 10.5% ABV Imperial Stout in the morning was not good.

I think you thought it was a Coke Zero because they're both black cans FWIW.

Regardless, we did get a chuckle out of it.

Unibroue La Fin du Monde

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy for yard work.

La Fin du Monde was one of my first "good beers" I ever had. The End of the World...how can you resist? Unibroue makes some really great stuff.

I dunno how you can drink Summer Shandy. It tasted and smelled like straight Lemon Pine Sol to me. There are so many better "refreshing" beers available during the Summer IMO. But I digress, to each their own.

So, how often do you drink Lemon Pine Sol? :poke:

'twas nearly frozen both times I've had it, it may taste like reindeer pi%% at a warmer temp for all I know. I will sprinkle some on my kitchen floor next time I spot a bottle in the fridge and test your reaction :roflol:

I believe I have posted more under this and the other beer thread than I have under the football forum...sad? Nah.

I would not look at it that way, more of an understanding of life.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy " - attributed to several sources.

By Category:

Best Ameri-hop: Anything from Stone... Oaked Arrogant Bastard, Ruination, double, sublimely self-righteous #SMH

Stout: Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti IS, Victory Storm King, St Arnold Divine res #5, Avery Czar

Dopple: Ayinger Celebrator, Sam Adams Double Bock

Imperial IPA: Dogfishhead 90 min, Harpoon Leviathan, Karbach Rodeo Clown

IPA: Bear Republic Racer 5, Karbach Hopadillo

Octoberfest:: Live Oak Oaktoberfest

Belgian: Most any... Unibroue La Terrible is a favorite

British: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Best Pretentious Name: Gouden Carolus Grande Cru of the Emperor

Best Light Beer: N/A (If you are on a diet so serious it limits your caloric intake to <100 cals, you shouldn't be drinking beer at all)

By Application:

Session Beer you buy for friends: Victory Prima Pils, Saint Arnold Lawnmower, Real Ale Firemans #4, Sam Adams

Beer to avoid at all costs: Pearl, Natty, Miller, Coors, Michelob, Bud (seriously, there are cheaper ways to get drunk for less calories)

Best Beer to drink with a Bama fan: Avery Collaboration not Litigation

Best Beer to avoid drinking with a Bama Fan: Oskar Blues Old double bagger

Maxwere, have you tried Victory's Golden Monkey? I've had their Storm King and Prima Pils, but Golden Monkey is much better IMO.

Maxwere, have you tried Victory's Golden Monkey? I've had their Storm King and Prima Pils, but Golden Monkey is much better IMO.

Yes, Golden Monkey on draft is very nice and highly available. I disagree though. Storm, hopdevil and hopwallup are my favorites (I prefer IIPAs and RIS). GM is just not nearly as good as many other Belgian Triples. For example Unibroue La Fin Du Monde, St Bernardus Tripel, or Goulden Carolus Grand Cru (you're not likely to find in 12 oz though).

• 1 month later...

Guess I'll go down some styles, some of which I've already mentioned. Most are readily available, all highly rated(high 80s-90s) on BeerAdvocate and/or Ratebeer.

Pilsner: Victory Prima Pils

Hefeweizen: Weihenstephaner("oldest brewery in the world"). I'm not crazy at all about this style, but I love this beer.

Stout: Founder's Breakfast Stout, Bell's Java Stout, Southern Tier Choklat, North Coast Old Rasputin, Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout

IPA: Three Floyd's Zombie Dust, Bell's Two Hearted, Founder's Centennial, Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale or Deviant Dale's

DIPA: Bell's Hopslam, Avery Maharaja, Founder's Double Trouble, Weyerbacher Simcoe, Good People Snake Handler, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Red: Marble Red Ale, Green Flash Hop Head Red

Saison: Saison Dupont, Goose Island Sofie

Belgian IPA: Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild

Belgian Quad: St. Bernadus Abt 12, Trappistes Rochefort 10

Barleywine: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. I haven't explored this style nearly enough due to the harshness of the alcohol in most recently brewed beers; and I don't have the patience to put it in on the shelf to age it for a year or more.

Sour: Rodenbach Original, Petrus Aged Pale, New Belgium La Folie. This is a new style for me, but I'm loving it.

Brown: Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Smoked Porter: Yazoo Sue

I rattled all of these off the top of my head, but all are beer that I'll buy again. I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few.

I work at a craft beer store in Chattanooga, so despite some of the limitations due to the law, I do get to have quite a variety at my fingertips. If we don't carry it, there's a nice beer store just 20 minutes away in Fort Oglethorpe, GA. Shoot me a PM if you're ever in town and I'll give you the name of the business and all necessary information to get here.

I was going to contribute to this thread, but as someone who lives in Indiana, you pretty much nailed it. I would add I would add Yeti Espresso Stout and a couple other great ones like Hopslam. As a local guy, I am always a fan of Three Floyd's, pretty much all of them. Alpha King is one of the best go-to beers there is.

I feel so bad for everyone who can't get a hold of Midwest, Colorado and California beers.

Shocks, where is your store? My old roommate is a very active Chattanoogan in real estate and renovation. I'm impressed with myself that many of my choices were the same as the professional :). Also, what's your take on that Yellow Deli cult? Love to have a beer with that cornbread of theirs!

Shocks, where is your store? My old roommate is a very active Chattanoogan in real estate and renovation. I'm impressed with myself that many of my choices were the same as the professional :)/>. Also, what's your take on that Yellow Deli cult? Love to have a beer with that cornbread of theirs!

Sent PM.

I haven't eaten at Yellow Deli yet. There's so many eateries in the city that I've said, "I wanna eat there", but simply forget.

River Street Deli in North Shore is really good though.

This coffee shop kicks butt: http://thecamphouse.com

Honestly, I think its better than the shops we have here in Houston. Also recommend the church that meets there. They're Anglican, they're probably in the market for a kegerator.

Yellow Deli is crazy good! Crazy as in we don't pay our staff a dime to serve the best deli food anywhere. Crazy as in "you have to live in a commune to work here". Crazy as in a hobbit could live there.

One of my regular customers has a nephew out in California and he had this shipped to him here in Chattanooga. Customer sold me a bottle, and it's probably the best DIPA I've ever had.

Russian River is gooood stuff.... Redemption+Damnation

Archived