Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a sixer of Truck Stop Honey last Saturday. I enjoyed it. Tried the Hoegaarden today. Not my favorite.

Need to make time to run down to World of Beer in southside. I really enjoyed Chimay Blue and Red in the Magic Kingdom and haven't been able to get them off my mind since then.

Thank you for the recommendation. That's actually much more convenient. I drive right by it on my way home from work. I'm just now getting into beer. I have no idea what took me so long. This thread is officially my study guide on the matter.

Thank you for the recommendation. That's actually much more convenient. I drive right by it on my way home from work. I'm just now getting into beer. I have no idea what took me so long. This thread is officially my study guide on the matter.

No problem. Hop City Birmingham is better than their other location in Atlanta, IMO. It's a large store, with plenty of options and can be overwhelming. They organize everything by style, which I like in a beer store. Normally when I go into a store, I gravitate to the IPAs and stouts. It's nice to have it all in front of you instead of shopping around through all the breweries. Highland Package(?) also has a large selection, but when I was in there, it didn't seem very organized and some of their beer looked old. In a city with a store like Hop City, I don't see why anyone would shop anywhere else.

One main bit of advice I can offer for someone looking to explore the world of beer is to take advantage of mix 6 packs and brewery's variety 12 packs. You can experience a lot of different styles and breweries this way without just blindly guessing at a 6 pack and getting stuck with a bunch of beer you don't like.

I also suggest checking out ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com. I like BA better, but I think that's a personal preference. There can be a lot of disparity between the user ratings on the two sites. For example, Caldera IPA has a 97 on RB and an 89 on on BA. My opinions tend to fall in line with BA's. BA also has a good forum, I'm not sure if RB has one.

Another useful tool to have, for personal use, is Untappd. If you have a smartphone, or at least an iPhone, you can use their mobile app. It allows you to "check in" to different beers and provide your own rating for others to see. It's kind of a social network for beer drinkers. I've been on it for a little over 2 years, and have checked in to close to 500 unique beers.

Also, don't drink out of the can or bottle. Please. There are numerous types of glassware available that benefit all styles. They're also relatively cheap for unbranded ones. I don't use shaker pints(your standard pint glass) for beer anymore. You should be able to get glassware at just about any beer store.

Lastly, don't drink old IPAs. IPAs are always better when fresh, as hop presence fades as time goes on. I rarely buy an IPA more than 3 months old.

http://www.ratebeer.com/

http://www.beeradvocate.com/

https://untappd.com/

http://www.spiegelau.../beer-classics/

I've been working my butt off most of today. I'm hot, I'm tired and immediately after a shower I plan on popping the top off of a bottle of beer that has been in the freezer for the last hour and a half.

So the best beer is the one in the freezer right now, Lazy Magnolia, Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale.

here's a link to their site.

I'm hot and the beer is extra cold.

I've been working my butt off most of today. I'm hot, I'm tired and immediately after a shower I plan on popping the top off of a bottle of beer that has been in the freezer for the last hour and a half.

So the best beer is the one in the freezer right now, Lazy Magnolia, Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale.

How would you rate this one?

I am starting to see it distributed in more grocers and package stores that sell craft beers, but have been skeptical to try.

How would you rate this one?

I am starting to see it distributed in more grocers and package stores that sell craft beers, but have been skeptical to try.

I thought it was pretty good, but I don't consider myself an expert on beer.

I really like their beer. I had their Southern Gentlemen last year which is the pecan beer aged in bourbon barrels. Wow was it good!

null_zpse730eafd.jpg

Went to Oskar Blues in Longmont yesterday and grabbed these. Also had a Mango Habanero Dale's Pale Ale from a cask, nice heat on it. My wife got an oak aged porter too that was good.

We saw two other people in Auburn hats in the taproom too. I guess with Dale being a former AU student, it's only appropriate that AU fans, students, and alumni go visit the brewery.

I assume you have drunk the Death By Coconut by now. How was it?

null_zpse730eafd.jpg

Went to Oskar Blues in Longmont yesterday and grabbed these. Also had a Mango Habanero Dale's Pale Ale from a cask, nice heat on it. My wife got an oak aged porter too that was good.

We saw two other people in Auburn hats in the taproom too. I guess with Dale being a former AU student, it's only appropriate that AU fans, students, and alumni go visit the brewery.

I assume you have drunk the Death By Coconut by now. How was it?

It was good. Very coconut-y. I wish they would put it into distribution.

If you can find it, you must try Big Bad Baptist by Epic Brewing Company in Salt Lake, City. Holy crap! I had a taste of it while in Michigan a few weeks ago and, quite simply, it's the best Stout I've ever tried. Easy going down, not too thick, yet offers a fantastic chocolate aftertaste.

If you can find it, you must try Big Bad Baptist by Epic Brewing Company in Salt Lake, City. Holy crap! I had a taste of it while in Michigan a few weeks ago and, quite simply, it's the best Stout I've ever tried. Easy going down, not too thick, yet offers a fantastic chocolate aftertaste.

Seen this(and a lot of other Epic's stuff)on the shelf and on taps around town. It's on my list.

Bought and consumed the Big Bad Baptist yesterday. Very good stout for sure.

I'm a little jealous. I only had it while visiting family and friends in Michigan. Can't find it anywhere around here in Texas.

Bought and consumed the Big Bad Baptist yesterday. Very good stout for sure.

I'm a little jealous. I only had it while visiting family and friends in Michigan. Can't find it anywhere around here in Texas.

That surprising, I figured they'd make it to Texas. I didn't realize they had two locations-one in Utah and the other is in Denver.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of my usual cab, I had a couple Good People Brown with a nice juicy cowboy ribeye this evening and a GP coffee oatmeal stout after dinner. Both very good and highly recommended.

Had Stone IPA and Fat Tire with a very good hand made pizza last night. I enjoyed all three!

New Belgium is the brewery, not Fat Tire ;)

My bad. New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale to be exact.

Grab this if you see it. Nice DIPA.

63695BF2-2DF3-4DB8-8EBB-DA680062DCDD_zpszekleqct.jpg

One of my all time favs. Probably my number 1 right now. Drinking a couple tonight along with a Sierra Nevada IPA and a Bell's Oberon. Going great with grilled chicken wings. So Tasty......... My wife says I've trained our pool guest well. When they come over, they bring it big time! Finishing with a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan!

Archived