Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

I never had the Sam Oktoberfest so I wouldn't know what to compare it to.

I was a miller lite guy. I only got into crafts after moving to oklahoma.

OK has a low point beer law. You've got to go to a liquor store to get anything over 3.2%. Even buying on a military post the domestics are low alcohol, so i started trying imports and American micros. Overall a good decision.

I thought this was America!

I agree. The only logical way for me to rationalize this law is:

There are countless hillbillies in this state riding around with a cooler of Natural Light in the passenger seat. If they require more beer to get into a drunken stupor, then we are safe until at least 10:00 AM when the weak stuff starts to kick in.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK has a low point beer law. You've got to go to a liquor store to get anything over 3.2%. Even buying on a military post the domestics are low alcohol, so i started trying imports and American micros. Overall a good decision.

There are countless hillbillies in this state riding around with a cooler of Natural Light in the passenger seat. If they require more beer to get into a drunken stupor, then we are safe until at least 10:00 AM when the weak stuff starts to kick in.

I've never understood a lot of the laws around the ABV of beer when you can can easily get liquor or moonshine. High ABV beers tend to be much more filling, leading to less consumption, but about the same amount of alcohol consumption. But most laws don't make sense anyways...

• 2 months later...

Did three tours in Germany. Struggled with American beers ever since. Having said that:

Favs: Sweetwater products, Good People products

At the local bars: Sam Adams when the aforementioned are not available

What I serve my friends at the pool: Fatty Natty

Least favs: Budweiser, Miller, Michelob, Coors, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Best brews:

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot

Auburn Ale House Placer Porter

Everyday:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Worst:

Pilsner Brewing Co. P. O. C. (Fondly called Piss On Cleveland in Ohio)

I've never understood a lot of the laws around the ABV of beer when you can can easily get liquor or moonshine. High ABV beers tend to be much more filling, leading to less consumption, but about the same amount of alcohol consumption. But most laws don't make sense anyways...

Ever wonder why the SupperClub on S College was called that in the first place?

Worst - Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale. I will give any beer a chance and make it a point to try new ones frequently, but...this was the first one I just could not drink. Think sipping on a bottle of liquid smoke.

Best - Mikkeller Black Hole. Coffee, chocolate, citrus and licorice flavors with 14%abv that is very well hidden except for the nice warming sensation. Most complex beer I've ever tasted.

A man after my own heart. I couldn't agree more.

I love some Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, probably my favorite beer at the moment.

Least Favorite - Smoke-Weiss Bier (I can't find the actual name). Basically, it's a weiss style beer that is supposed to taste like bratwurst and cheese. Instead, it tastes like sweaty feet dipped in liquid-smoke. Awful, awful stuff. I hope they have quit making it as I can't find anything about it on the interwebs...instant vomit.

• 2 months later...

Sierra Nevada Narwhal Imperial Stout is incredible. This might be my new favorite. Old Rasputin is pretty good too.

I had my first Dead Guy Ale on Saturday night. That was a big letdown.

Shocks: Have you had anything from Artisan Ales? I had a Prarie Bomb recently (100 score on Beer Adcocate). It was good, but I think it needed some aging. Way too much coffee flavor.

I'm not sure the shipping procedures. I know it's definitely illegal, but don't think you can get arrested or fined--they just keep the package. I'll ask my buddy who regularly does trades and see how he does it and get back with you.

In the meantime, if you think of anything you may want from the southeast, I'll put it on my radar.

I think most of the stuff I can't get, you probably can't either (Pliny, Lagunitas etc), but I'll look into some east coast stuff and see what piques my interest. I'll also look into the legality of beer mailing.

Did three tours in Germany. Struggled with American beers ever since. Having said that:

Favs: Sweetwater products, Good People products

At the local bars: Sam Adams when the aforementioned are not available

What I serve my friends at the pool: Fatty Natty

Least favs: Budweiser, Miller, Michelob, Coors, etc.

:thumbsup: Sounds like me, except w the Natty. My friends are wising up with the beer choices too. Sam Adams is the only mainstream domestic I'll touch.

Anyone tried 'Bad Elf Winters Ale' ? Got a bottle for the Holidays, I'm thinking it is time to make room on the shelf or pass it on to someone else

Coop Aleworks F5 IPA and Roughtail IPA are two local (Oklahoma City) beers I've tried lately and both were great. Considering the ridiculous beer laws in this state, there are at least four really good breweries here.

Everyday: Dos XX...the official cheap grocery store beer of TX

Bitter: Fuller's ESB

Lager: Harps

Fisher Biere d'Alsace amber...6% alcohol

Drummond Brothers...can't find it anymore...drank it in the 70's...

Coop Aleworks F5 IPA and Roughtail IPA are two local (Oklahoma City) beers I've tried lately and both were great. Considering the ridiculous beer laws in this state, there are at least four really good breweries here.

Elaborate on beer laws comment? TN has some doozies too.

Archived