Change in strategy on this board

casatiger

I realize it is a lot more fun to discuss head coaches that we would like to hire, and it is evident we are not getting our ROI on our head coach this year. However, I would like to see a lot more threads discussing new AD's and a lot less discussing new coaches. I think the spotlight needs to glare brightest on our ineptitude in the Athletic Department. Like I have seen many times on this board, we do not want JJ making a hire for our checkers team, much less our football coach. Obviously it reflects poorly on him, but at the same time the spotlight is on CGC a lot more than it is on JJ. Change must start at the AD spot before we even consider changing coaches. JJ and TJ are going to do everything they can to divert attention from their poor record. Can you blame them? They would have to go to work at the car wash or flipping burgers for goodness sake.

So, I will start. Who are the top 3 AD's you want? Any ideas about a new career for JJ and TJ? Comedy team perhaps?

A unified voice saved one Tommy Tubberville at the end of 2003. A unified voice can make changes where they are most needed. It is my opinion that we need to hire an incredibly strong AD that can come in and fill a clear power vacuum that exists right now. Not sure that is available, but I believe it is needed.

Why those three in particular?

Three AD's whose programs have either shown improvement in multiple areas over the last few years or have good backgrounds coupled with improvements. FSU has Football, Basketball, Baseball success right now. Baylor, once a door mat for years, is winning games in football, basketball (men and women) and baseball. Hammond is a "darkhorse" of the three, but they (USM) had success in football and baseball in a smaller conference. He also has some foundational background along the way.

Who were the other two candidates for the job when JJ was hired? I remember there were two strong candidates and the oddball being interviewed. Where are they now?

Luck the AD @ WVA would be my first choice. He successfully guided WVA out of big least and in Bevo12ish.

Good experience with major market players and in Basketball.

Baylor's AD would be one to consider.

As to, " Any ideas about a new career for JJ and TJ? " - Something far away.

and how on earth could we possibly lure them here? is there no one with an Auburn background with leadership capabilities?

I believe money would be one way and feeding the ego of an individual to make us an athletic power again would be another. The Auburn background does not need to include a close relationship with current cronies in my opinion. Is Scott Etheridge a candidate?

I believe one of the guys interviewed when JJ blew everyone away with his interviewing prowess and miraculously became our AD was Dan Radakovich. There was one more and I am unsure of his name. They both wound up with AD jobs within 12 months of interviewing at Auburn as I recall.

I agree the focus should be on the replacement of the AD.

Back when Tommy Tuberville was on the hot seat at Auburn, I thought we should have moved him to the AD position. Tommy had bad personal problems at the time and could not focus on the head coaching duties.

During his time at Auburn, I thought he did a lot for the whole school. He was a class act. Pushed for upgraded facilities, high graduation rates, etc.

Having an experienced head coach as AD would mean that he could make better assessments of the head coach he hires.

Can anyone tell me if Bobby Lauder is still heavily involved. If so, we got to get him out of the picture. He is the Al Davis of the college football world.

Luck just signed (about a week ago) a big time contract at WVU. It was so large it made the National News.

Luck just signed (about a week ago) a big time contract at WVU. It was so large it made the National News.

They were smart to lock him up for a few years. Good AD's are hard to come by evidently.

I like the idea of this thread a lot. We need to make sure the seat in the Athletic Department is glaring hot.

I really like the guy from Baylor. He has an extremely diverse background as far as being at a lot of different schools with different traditions and so on and he also seems to be incredibly successful. I could certainly get behind hiring him or someone like him.

I've wanted Jacobs seat so hot I could roast weiners & marshmallows for a long time.

It took this football team hitting rock bottom for many AU folks to take a good hard look at the entire AU Athletic Department, and the other sports teams this University fields, to realize JJ isn't qualified for the position. I know football is King, but I can't find even one excuse why Auburn University shouldn't be competitive in men's/women's basketball, baseball, softball, gymnastics, golf, etc.

I feel like it would be hard to hire a proven ad who is already at a good school to come to auburn, like the fsu AD. Why would that AD leave a school already with great sports to come to one with mediocre sports besides swimming and what not

I feel like it would be hard to hire a proven ad who is already at a good school to come to auburn, like the fsu AD. Why would that AD leave a school already with great sports to come to one with mediocre sports besides swimming and what not

I remember a lot of Auburn folks saying Saban would never go to the cesspool up in Tuscaloosa. If you do not aim high well then you get people like JJ.

IMHO

Getting a qualified AD at Auburn with our history of meddelsome boosters, BOT members and their schenanigans in our past will be a huge task for President Gouge when he does have to find a replacement for JJ.

The old farts that want to stick their noses in everything, and want to throw money at AU just feel like they should have a say-so in how this institution is administered. Jay Jacobs is a "yes" man, Tim Jackson is a "yes" man, Gene Chizik is a "yes" man, they will not thwart what the PTB are pushing. This place needs to be swept clean and new blood brought in to run this thing the right way, the smart way, the most efficient way.

What about looking at vandy....they are competitive in all the major sports while holding extremely high academic standards

What about looking at vandy....they are competitive is all the major sports while holding extremely high academic standards

Excellant idea!

vandy doesnt have an AD do they? the guy @ baylor might be a good pick. looks like he has the sports programs on the up and he has the jesus connection that almost everybody at auburn will insist on.

vandy doesnt have an AD do they? the guy @ baylor might be a good pick. looks like he has the sports programs on the up and he has the jesus connection that almost everybody at auburn will insist on.

I was thinking the same thing but not 100% sure...that's why I mentioned just "look"....I'm sure there is someone within the program that is qualified to be an AD given the chance

Archived