General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think petrino goes to ky david cutcliff or strong to tn gus smart or strong to arky then strong gus or either fisher comes to au

Kentucky isn't considering BP according to sources.

TIFWIW...I heard Barnhart say the other day that Petrino would not be coaching at UT,UK, or Auburn next season. There will be four open jobs in the SEC this year. I am looking forward to see who is hired to fill these spots. Especially ours!

Just a couple more observations.

1. All of the coaches mentioned already have jobs...it's not like they are in bread lines desperate to take anything offered to them.

2. Do any of you consider the HC jobs at AU, UT, or UK or even Arky as the same thing? Each schools has it's pros and cons and I can't imagine any half intelligent coaching candidate considering them to be a toss-up such that he would take to to the first one that made an offer.

3. Likely each school will be looking for different coaching attributes...I mean, if Petrino is a great catch for AU as some declare, why is Arky letting him go? He's served his one year penalty so just put him back on the staff...how hard would that be?

4. Every coach in the profession knows the AU job is likely to come open in a few weeks so why take the first job opening that comes available? If you don't have to change jobs, why take something like UK. Any coach eager to change jobs, step up or whatever can just wait and see what develops at AU and several other better situations than UT, and UK.

5. I'm probably in the minority that thinks Gus took the Ark State job for career purposes and not just because he and Chiz disagreed. He turned down at least two "better" offers (if you look at the money)in the same time-frame but went where (1) his offense would be welcome (2) where he had great recruiting connections and (3) where he could be an immediate success. Check, check and check...all three objectives accomplished this season...way to go Gus.

So...just be patient folks.

Darn it. A lucid, fathomable well-typed post. What is this board coming to? You could have at least injected a little hysteria and maybe suggested that somehow AU would get the coaching situation 'wrong'.

Getting back on topic- . . . Is it pretty much accepted that our HC will either be Chizik or Jimbo next year? That's the impression I'm getting.

Nothing will change. In fact, we'll have less than 60,000 for each home next year. More like 45 to maybe 55,000. But hey, that's what the power that be at wnat for AU's football future to look like over the next 5 to 10 more years.

I'm beginning to think we're going to be in for another year of Chizik. :angry:

I just don't see that happening. The lost revenue would be deafening IMO. I hope our wise decision makers know this.

One thing Gus has going for him is that he would have many of his players already here at Auburn and most of them know his system. No other HC in the country can say that. Assuming Auburn made that choice, that would at least give the combination of Gus and Auburn it's best chance of success. It is something to consider.

All I know is that I'm TIRED of all the HC speculation and guessing and ready to get this season OVER! Get our azz whooping from Bama and ready to know what the powers that be are going to do!

I keep changing my mind about this BUT, based on what my donar buddies say and from my friend and former FSU assistant say...I now believe that IF we are able to secure an agreement with Jimbo Fisher, he will be our HC next year and I assume bring SOME of his staff. There seems to be talk of wanting to keep SOME of our current staff, maybe.

If we can't work it out with Jimbo then I believe Chizik is going to be given one more year. There may be a staff change or two, but that would be it. Again JMO. Speculation based on some actual info and best guesses. :dunno:

I really feel like Mora at UCLA would be a great fit.

How? Why? :gofig:/>

UCLA was awful last year, and Mora steps in and inherits young talent, and he's 8-2 this year. No coach in UCLA history has done that in his first year since 1976. He's a tough, demanding coach that has NFL experience and knows what it takes to get players there. He has experience in the South as well, with Atlanta as head coach and New Orleans as an assistant.

UCLA has been bad, but they've had some bad luck with QB injuries the past few seasons. This year, the QB was finally healthy all year and it took pressure off a good RB and TE.

How? Why? :gofig:

He is the flavor of the week.

From poeple that dealt with him or went through his tenure in ATL, no way in hades would he be a good fit. HE is an idiot. I also believe he is a west coast guy that will never leave from that area anyway. He was the famous HC of the Falcons that said in a interview that the Washington Huskies was his dream job.

How? Why? :gofig:

He is the flavor of the week.

From poeple that dealt with him or went through his tenure in ATL, no way in hades would he be a good fit. HE is an idiot. I also believe he is a west coast guy that will never leave from that area anyway. He was the famous HC of the Falcons that said in a interview that the Washington Huskies was his dream job.

I could not agree with you more. If we have two options, what we have now or Mora, I would pick to stay with what we have. Fortunately, those aren't our only two options.

Gene has been at Auburn for and he was (I thoughht) building a football that could go toe to toe with Alabama or anyone else. But instead, look what's been happening. Our defens can't stop a bad cold from coming and our offense had a good when Chizik hired Malzahn. However, Gene told Gus to start slowing it down call more running plays. Gus got tired of running Gene's offense and he really puched out. The Chizik hires some OC at Temple of all places and our offense goes up in flames.

Gene Chizik HAS TO GO! So does Jay Jacos for first hiring this 5-19 coach from Iowa State. Then Jay draws up this HUGE buyout for Gene after he has just ONE great year.

How? Why? :gofig:/>

UCLA was awful last year, and Mora steps in and inherits young talent, and he's 8-2 this year. No coach in UCLA history has done that in his first year since 1976. He's a tough, demanding coach that has NFL experience and knows what it takes to get players there. He has experience in the South as well, with Atlanta as head coach and New Orleans as an assistant.

He is playing with inherited talent. USC is killing him in recruiting and that is half the battle. If he proves he can recruit then we can talk.

If we can't work it out with Jimbo then I believe Chizik is going to be given one more year. There may be a staff change or two, but that would be it. Again JMO. Speculation based on some actual info and best guesses. :dunno:

With all due respect, there is absolutely no chance that this happens. You don't try to hire a coach before you decide whether you want to try to hire a coach & you don't keep a coach around after you decide you want to fire him to hire someone else. See how ridiculous that sounds? The PTB also know all too well the implications of trying to hire a coach while you already have one. Chizik had a "staff change or two" last year, that was his mulligan. Honestly, if you think Auburn is going after ONE guy & if that guy doesn't work, is going to keep Chizik while Arkansas & Tennessee energize their respective fan bases with new hires then you're just flat out wrong & your "actual info" IS actually "best guesses". Chizik has completely lost the fans & the team. It's all but impossible to get them back at this point & everyone involved is well aware of that fact. It's gone too far, waaay too far to turn back now. Whether Gogue will make the right hire is up for speculation, whether he will make a hire in the first place is not. Thanks.

Archived