General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I would like to see and have said this before, but possibility could be better.

Greg Schiano.

* Buc's not a shoe in for playoffs.

* Does he miss college, recruiting, coaching players up?

* Is the NFL experiment for him really what he wanted, or thought it would be?

* He would not care about Sabana boy, or anyone else for that matter.

* Made Rutgers relevant. Let me repeat that! He made Rutgers relevant!

* Fresh from NFL he would get recruits attention, and was already a good recruiterr to get kids to come to renamed University of New Jersey!

* MAKE HIM SAY NO!

Now, I got no idea how he would leave, or when he would start at AU with NFL having 4 games left, but again... MAKE HIM SAY NO!

He's staying at Vandy.

http://www.tennessea...?nclick_check=1

Related Links

James Franklin, just as expected, isn’t going anywhere. And he has the new contract to prove it.

For the second year in a row, Vanderbilt rewarded its 40-year-old football coach with a revised “long-term” deal that includes more money and guarantees of continued facilities upgrades. Franklin also indicated that the deal includes raises for his assistants.

The precise terms of the contract were undisclosed — a policy that Vanderbilt can employ as a private university.

“This really is about our kids and our players,” said Franklin, who is 14-11 in two seasons. “I made a promise to them, and we made a promise to them as a staff, that they could come to Vanderbilt and chase all their dreams, their wildest dreams, at the highest level.

“This is about continuing to make progress, continuing to take steps in the right direction, so we can build a program for the long haul that people can be very, very proud of.”

The announcement came just before Sunday’s on-campus celebration for the Commodores’ Music City Bowl bid. Vanderbilt chancellor Nick Zeppos was in attendance and embraced Franklin before and after the press conference.

Athletics director David Williams said he began discussing a new deal for Franklin two weeks ago, and Franklin added that this wasn’t a “reactionary” move based on the interest he has received from other schools with job openings.

Williams said that “everybody in America” has been calling with interest in his coach. Asked if he was offered the Arkansas job, Franklin said: “I’ve had no contact with any other schools, administrators, or anything like that. My focus is on Vanderbilt. It really is. Always has been.”

However, Franklin noted that his phone has been “blowing up” as recently as Saturday night.

“People are saying that I’m here and I’m there and I’m getting on a plane. I’m at Sambuca’s with some recruits and our staff,” Franklin said. “So there’s all types of speculation. You’d like to come out with a strong voice and be able to say, ‘It’s over.’ But I wanted to make sure everything was in place before we did that.”

Neither Williams nor Franklin delved into many specifics about facilities other than the need to upgrade the training room, locker room and equipment room. Williams said phases three and four of renovation plans for the McGugin Center are on track.

Part of Franklin’s new contract last year included the addition of an indoor practice facility that costs $31 million and is under construction. Improvements were made to the stadium as well, including new artificial turf, video board, lighting and a berm for hillside seating.

“This wasn’t really about putting more money in James’ pocket,” Williams said. “But James has been a tremendous success here, and by any rights he does deserve a raise anyway. And so, yeah, I think we’ve tried to put him in a position where he will be very happy and very comfortable here in Nashville.”

The goal, Williams noted, is to provide Franklin with a program that can play for the SEC championship. Part of that equation is keeping Vanderbilt’s coaching staff intact, which was a big part of this contract.

“Last year my staff was offered head-coaching jobs,” Franklin said. “This year they’ve already been approached about head-coaching interviews. So being able to continue to support my staff as well … that’s what really this is all about. It’s about Vanderbilt as a whole.”

Reach Jeff Lockridge at 615-259-8023 or jlockridge@tennessean.com.

Guest jojo1515

Thanks for the article, however his new contract has been posted on here atleast 5 times. Prepare to be merged in 3...2...1...

Franklin is great for Vandy. I'm sure we'll get a great coach, too. I'm happy to see Vandy have success.

Thanks for the article, however his new contract has been posted on here atleast 5 times. Prepare to be merged in 3...2...1...

Delete it then. Sorry. I've been on the road a few days.

This is news? Was Franklin really on AU's list? Shows Tate has no more idea than anyone else....might as well have said Gruden off AU's llst.

I know, I know...everyone likes to speculate and swap conjecture on these boards and every time I try to inject rationality, someone slams me....and that's OK...to each his own. So....is Saban still on the secret list and are we just waiting until the BCS is over to break the news?

Franklin is great for Vandy. I'm sure we'll get a great coach, too. I'm happy to see Vandy have success.

Perhaps you've heard that JJ is performing the search....just saying.

Perhaps you've heard that JJ is performing the search....just saying.

No, JJ is not performing the search. JJ's involvement is to sign the papers for whatever coach the committee of Mac, Bo and Pat tell him has been selected.

Good. Admirable work at Vandy but there are several others I'd rather have before Franklin.

I like James Franklin a lot and the job he's done at Vanderbilt has been nothing short of outstanding especailly given their disadvantage in facilities, academic requirements and starting point when he got there. He went 8 - 4..who is the last Vanderbilt coach to go 8 - 4? if for no other reason, I think he deserves a lot of credit and a new contract for that alone. I would've liked having him at Auburn but happy he's getting the recognition he deserves.

I'm a Vandy alum, and I want Franklin to stay where he is. That said, I just cannot understand why he wouldn't seem like a good hire?

Does Auburn need a coach who beat out Georgia for recruits? Absolutely.

Does Auburn need a coach who can develop players like they do at Boise and TCU? You betcha.

Does Auburn need a coach who can cultivate a coaching staff and a program and raise the level of both? Please, Lord, yes.

Does Auburn need a coach who can energize and inspire players, recruits, and a whole community? Badly.

Does Auburn need a coach who can look Nick Saban and Les Miles in the eye and say, "This is gonna be a physical game, and you just might lose"? Damn straight.

It's not just that Vandy went 8-4, losing to good teams and beating bad teams. It's that they played physical games against USC and Florida that went deep into the fourth quarter. Yep, Vandy got toasted by UGA -- blown out of the stadium. But otherwise, Vandy matched up physically with everybody they played. When has that ever been true?

And don't tell me about a misguided -- and it was misguided -- fake punt. Auburn needs a coach like James Franklin.

So Auburn "may" have interviewed Petrino, Patterson, Malzahn, Strong, Smart, and Franklin. Whatever "interviewed" means.

Fisher less likely.

Morris today. Anybody else?

Per 247Rumors, whoever that is that people are retweeting:

* Arkansas - Sources tell us that The Hogs have been turned down by James Franklin, Gary Patterson, Les Miles, Chris Petersen and it's not looking good on Mike Gundy either. Patterson, Petersen or Gundy could reconsider, but as of now, it looks like Art Briles is next in line.

* AuburnUndercover reports Auburn has interviewed Gus Malzahn and will interview Kirby Smart and Chad Morris. A decision is expected Wednesday.

* Tennessee met with Mike Gundy yesterday and it expected to talk with Bo Pelini and Butch Jones. Charlie Strong and Larry Fedora remain in the mix.

* FSU coach Jimbo Fisher is expected to remain with the Seminoles.

So Auburn "may" have interviewed Petrino, Patterson, Malzahn, Strong, Smart, and Franklin. Whatever "interviewed" means.

Fisher less likely.

Morris today. Anybody else?

Per 247Rumors, whoever that is that people are retweeting:

* Arkansas - Sources tell us that The Hogs have been turned down by James Franklin, Gary Patterson, Les Miles, Chris Petersen and it's not looking good on Mike Gundy either. Patterson, Petersen or Gundy could reconsider, but as of now, it looks like Art Briles is next in line.

* AuburnUndercover reports Auburn has interviewed Gus Malzahn and will interview Kirby Smart and Chad Morris. A decision is expected Wednesday.

* Tennessee met with Mike Gundy yesterday and it expected to talk with Bo Pelini and Butch Jones. Charlie Strong and Larry Fedora remain in the mix.

* FSU coach Jimbo Fisher is expected to remain with the Seminoles.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I'm obviously most concerned with what we are doing at AU, but it's fun to see what happens elsewhere in the SEC. Sounds like not many candidates are impressed with what Arky has to offer.

I'd like to start up a new thread for this topic but figured it would probably just be merged with this one so here goes:

Rank your top 3 favorite potential candidates that you would like to fill the AU HC position.

1.Gary Patterson HC at TCU

2. Bobby Petrino former HC at Louisville

3. Bob Stoops HC at OU

I understand Stoops is probably more of a pipe dream but I like his teams' swagger. Petrino would be an easy choice here minus the off the field baggage.

Patterson is my number 1 and was my number 1 last go-round because of how physical his teams play defense, create turnovers, and attack the QB. I love the way the guy carriers himself as a coach and would love to have him as HC.

At this point who knows what will happen though.... WDE

1. Gary Patterson

2. Jeff Fisher (I know, crazy right)

3. Jimbo Fisher

4. Bobby Petrino (can't believe I have reached this point, lol)

I know I put 4, but I didn't want it to become a for or against Petrino thing. Not my favorite but not totally against it.

But I think it will end up more like...

5. Gus Malzhan

6. Charlie Strong

7. Kirby Smart or anyone else that we have discussed as a coordinator.

I'll open one thought up for discussion - two actually:

If Petrino is Head Coach - who does he get for OC/DC? What good coaches out there are willing to work for him?

On those lines - Ellis Johnson. former DC at USCe, who left for HC at Southern Miss but was just let go after one year (0-12 record). NOt that I would want him for HC, but I think he would make a good DC.

My preferred top 3:

1. Gary Patterson

2. Charlies Strong

3. Gus Malzahn

Archived