General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Welcome to Auburn Rodney Garner or Pat Nix!

I envision this happening in a few days. I have zero faith that JJ will land a home-run. Without a home-run, AU will be the whipping boy of Saban's machine until he retires. Let's face it. $aban, Miles, Petersen, Spurrier, and Muschamp will laugh at us. They laughed when AU hired Chiz (it was reported that a SEC HC LOL'ed when he heard we hired Chiz. This coach was never identified). So why should we expect JJ to do something different this time? You know the old saying about the definition of insanity. :sad2:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone is jumping the gun. It's been 7 days since they fired Chiz. Let them do their jobs and get it right. Everyone keeps assuming this and that when in reality none of us know jack****.

I hate to put another coaching thread out there but with Stoops going to Kentucky and, if the rumors are true, peterson going to Arkansas we are falling behind. I'm not saying the sky is falling but both of these programs are beneath us. I know that sounds elitist but it's true. I want to get the right coach but with us and UT left in the SEC looking for coaches it is making me nervous especially when JJ is doing the hiring. What do you think?

I would not worry about UT yet. The reason Gruden turned them down was because they would not commit enough money to getting quality assistant coaches. That will be a problem for almost any quality HC.

I hate to put another coaching thread out there but with Stoops going to Kentucky and, if the rumors are true, peterson going to Arkansas we are falling behind. I'm not saying the sky is falling but both of these programs are beneath us. I know that sounds elitist but it's true. I want to get the right coach but with us and UT left in the SEC looking for coaches it is making me nervous especially when JJ is doing the hiring. What do you think?

I would not worry about UT yet. The reason Gruden turned them down was because they would not commit enough money to getting quality assistant coaches. That will be a problem for almost any quality HC.

Gruden's agent said there were never any negotiations at all. UT insiders say that's a lie and that Hart didn't want to put up the money. Now they are calling Hart a bammer spy and wanting to fire him. It could get ugly up there if UT doesn't make a home-run hire. This is why AU needs to hire Petrino now.

I'd have to see Peterson actually signed,sealed and delivered to Fayetteville before believing Arkansas could pry him out of Boise. ((BTW, I actually read on a Razorback blog that Gary Patterson wasn't ready to coach that team, but he might be a serious candidate in a few years if Auburn hired him and he was successful) I wanted Auburn to hire Bill Belichik last Monday-I heard he wears an Auburn shower cap -but the wait will be worth it if they make a good hire that will get most Auburn fans thinking about the future with some optimism rather than continuing to fume about the late unpleasantness. Don't know who that guy might be, I have faith that Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, and Mac Crawford aren't mere figureheads and will make the right decision before too long. But this a decision that they have to get right, so why rush? WDE, Class of 1981.

Welcome to Auburn Rodney Garner or Pat Nix!

I envision this happening in a few days. I have zero faith that JJ will land a home-run. Without a home-run, AU will be the whipping boy of Saban's machine until he retires. Let's face it. $aban, Miles, Petersen, Spurrier, and Muschamp will laugh at us. They laughed when AU hired Chiz (it was reported that a SEC HC LOL'ed when he heard we hired Chiz. This coach was never identified). So why should we expect JJ to do something different this time? You know the old saying about the definition of insanity. :sad2:

I haven't seen anything by anyone worth mentioning reporting that Petersen is going to ARK.

I'd have to see Peterson actually signed,sealed and delivered to Fayetteville before believing Arkansas could pry him out of Boise. ((BTW, I actually read on a Razorback blog that Gary Patterson wasn't ready to coach that team, but he might be a serious candidate in a few years if Auburn hired him and he was successful)

:roflol: :roflol:

Yeah those Hawgs have such an elite football program.

I'd have to see Peterson actually signed,sealed and delivered to Fayetteville before believing Arkansas could pry him out of Boise. ((BTW, I actually read on a Razorback blog that Gary Patterson wasn't ready to coach that team, but he might be a serious candidate in a few years if Auburn hired him and he was successful)

:roflol: :roflol:

Yeah those Hawgs have such an elite football program.

I know. The blogger was probably wearing a tin pighat when he wrote that.

I will always be the last on this board to be considered an expert but I will continue to have my say anyway...

Please step away from the ledge!

As fans that love Auburn we are putting to much faith in 1 single person that just happens to have the title of head coach. No "head coach" will ever be great enough to take a team of entirely freshman to the National Championship. I could use the polar opposite for my point but some idiot would actually try and refute it. We just need a solid coach that can surround himself with the right personal to "stay the course". Auburn has alot of great things in place to build a winning team. Don't let updikes or completely negative people lead you astray. These thoughts are coming from a proud and respected athlete, a simple yet highly praised youth football coach, and a fan of Auburn football. I did not make the All South Georgia team by myself and I never won a single tournament as a coach by myself nor did I raise two wonderfull children by myself.

"I believe in Auburn and love it"

Has anybody heard what (if any) limitations were placed on this search committee? Do they have a budget for how much AU can spend on a coach? What about assistant coaches? Do they have to hire a certain number of individuals with ties to the University? Do they have the authority to offer a contract length or incentives? Does it have to be a proven college coach or can they consider some pro coaches? Or possibly some hot assistant coach?

I just can't imagine Jacobs handing over all of his duties and an open checkbook to a search committee (I don't care who is on it). Not to mention his future as AD being solely in the hands of this committee.

I just googled Petersen to Arkansas and tons of different sites are reporting they announce Tuesday he's the new coach.

And it all started with one tweet by an Arky blogger. Amazing.

I will always be the last on this board to be considered an expert but I will continue to have my say anyway...

As fans that love Auburn we are putting to much faith in 1 single person that just happens to have the title of head coach. No "head coach" will ever be great enough to take a team of entirely freshman to the National Championship. I could use the polar opposite for my point but some idiot would actually try and refute it. We just need a solid coach that can surround himself with the right personal to "stay the course". Auburn has alot of great things in place to build a winning team. Don't let updikes or completely negative people lead you astray. These thoughts are coming from a proud and respected athlete, a simple yet highly praised youth football coach, and a fan of Auburn football. I did not make the All South Georgia team by myself and I never won a single tournament as a coach by myself nor did I raise two wonderfull children by myself.

I agree as well, no need to start wringing one's hands, Auburn will be fine. It's common when a search committee begins will list a candidate's qualities they seek and I'm sure the "Auburn Trio " lists top flight qualities.

I just heard we are talking to Dave Doeren from Northern Illinois.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--northern-illinois-coach-dave-doeren-drawing-interest-from-auburn--other-schools-202133625.html

Great coach it looks like, he's only been a HC for 2 or 3 years though. My uncle is actually the former AD at NIU so I'l hit him up when he gets home from church today and ask. He retired about 8-10 years ago but still spends every day at the athletic complex. He's kind of like the Pat Dye of NIU. Played football their, coached, AD, everything. We went up their years ago when they renamed the filed after him. When both my kids were born he sent tons of NIU gear for them to wear.

He lives and breaths NIU football so I have no doubt he'll know what's going on.

I just heard we are talking to Dave Doeren from Northern Illinois.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--northern-illinois-coach-dave-doeren-drawing-interest-from-auburn--other-schools-202133625.html

Great coach it looks like, he's only been a HC for 2 or 3 years though. My uncle is actually the former AD at NIU so I'l hit him up when he gets home from church today and ask. He retired about 8-10 years ago but still spends every day at the athletic complex. He's kind of like the Pat Dye of NIU. Played football their, coached, AD, everything. We went up their years ago when they renamed the filed after him. When both my kids were born he sent tons of NIU gear for them to wear.

He lives and breaths NIU football so I have no doubt he'll know what's going on.

NC State hired him.

Has anybody heard what (if any) limitations were placed on this search committee? Do they have a budget for how much AU can spend on a coach? What about assistant coaches? Do they have to hire a certain number of individuals with ties to the University? Do they have the authority to offer a contract length or incentives? Does it have to be a proven college coach or can they consider some pro coaches? Or possibly some hot assistant coach?

I just can't imagine Jacobs handing over all of his duties and an open checkbook to a search committee (I don't care who is on it). Not to mention his future as AD being solely in the hands of this committee.

Great questions, JJ is on the hot seat awaiting assessment this June (contract runs fiscal cycle). He was probably instructed by JG this is how it goes, here is the search trio and their autonomy limits. JJ just monitors and fields questions but not intercedes or makes decisions (lame duck). I think with all the athletic issues JJ will not be retained and he’s sitting only as a figure-head. This is only theory not factual and I have no tea leaves to read.

I agree as well, no need to start wringing one's hands, Auburn will be fine. It's common when a search committee begins will list a candidate's qualities they seek and I'm sure the "Auburn Trio " lists top flight qualities.

ARK has gone after a big name hire from day one and I salute them for it. Gruden, Miles and now Peterson ? They have the stones to shoot for the moon. I also think they are very concerned about Petrino going to Auburn and how they will look if Petrino is beating their tail as Auburn's HC. That said, if they did reel in Peterson (when we showed interest) it would seem that ARK is schooling us. In my mind only Stoops would trump that hire and I think Stoops is like a 15% shot.

Great questions, JJ is on the hot seat awaiting assessment this June (contract runs fiscal cycle). He was probably instructed by JG this is how it goes, here is the search trio and their autonomy limits. JJ just monitors and fields questions but not intercedes or makes decisions (lame duck). I think with all the athletic issues JJ will not be retained and he’s sitting only as a figure-head. This is only theory not factual and I have no tea leaves to read.

I think JJ is gone after the NCAA deal is finalized. We need a current connection to answer questions and handle Auburn's end. The ONLY way I see JJ lasting any time is if the NCAA deal drags on or we get someone like Stoops and he actually HELPED in delivering the HC.....which I doubt. He needs to be held accountable for the mess he has created across all of our programs.

I think JJ is gone after the NCAA deal is finalized. We need a current connection to answer questions and handle Auburn's end. The ONLY way I see JJ lasting any time is if the NCAA deal drags on or we get someone like Stoops and he actually HELPED in delivering the HC.....which I doubt. He needs to be held accountable for the mess he has created across all of our programs.

Here Here! NC(Tarheel) Tiger. I'm just as disappointed in the total assessment of the other sports programs. Facilities are one thing coaching player development and improving player skills creates wins and accross the sports page what has Auburn done? Swimming and golf only?

NC Tiger

Running late for services this am. Will return later. Is NC for national champs or North Carolina?

Bob

Palmetto Tiger(SC)

That kind of info will not be made public.

...as many people should. People grow and improve in life to assume BP (or any of us) are the same we were in the past is simple wrong. What we would hope is consistent is his ability to continue to be a winner, score a boat load of points, and run a clean program. BTW....running a clean program is more important to me than his personal life....oh, he can also go toe to toe with Mr Saban.

I agree. I don't care if he throws stripper parties every night, drinks a gallon of whiskey, and rides his Harley with 2 naked chicks on the back. As long as he runs a clean program and keeps his personal business at home, it's all that matters. And it's all that should matter.

People have this mistaken notion that a guy like Petrino cannot keep players in line. I would put my faith in a SOB keeping them in line as opposed to a nice guy.

A head coach has no private life..reason we never hear about saban having g /f and riding bikes is because his private life is football

^^^^^^^^ Gus Malzahn had this sane football work ethic

Archived