General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

I'd rather have Kirby that Gus. Just my opinion.

Me too. People keep comparing him to Dooley. Dooley wasn't the d-coordinator on a team that won 3 out of 4 BCS titles. Btw, I'm hoping ND can leave it at 2 out of 4.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we skip BP to get Taggart,Smart,Anderson,Franklin or Strong,we will not be hiring the best coach available.

I would be OK with Gus.Patterson is the only other guy on this list that is good as BP.

Pretty mch this

+2

I would put Franklin in that top group. What he is doing at Vandy and pulling in top 25 classes there is nothing short of amazing.

I don't know. Haven't ever met the guy.

I agree! He seems smart based on the success of the Alabama defense. Not really MENSA type smart but like my grandma use to say, "he's got walkin' round sense".

As far as being HC at Auburn, he at the bottom of my list right above PetriNO!

Well then I say to you that you sir...are a moron!

Nah, I'm just kidding. I disagree totally because I don't see us getting to the top of the heap by being Bama Lite, but you are entitled to you (stupid) opinion.

Agreed completely, I don't see what ksmart is doin that makes people adore him to be our coach! If someone's makes him our head coach I will be highly disappointed!!!

If we skip BP to get Taggart,Smart,Anderson,Franklin or Strong,we will not be hiring the best coach available.

I would be OK with Gus.Patterson is the only other guy on this list that is good as BP.

Pretty mch this

+2

I would put Franklin in that top group. What he is doing at Vandy and pulling in top 25 classes there is nothing short of amazing.

I concur.

Petrino and Patterson are the best two coaches that have hit the rumor mill.My personal first choice is BP Patterson is almost a 1.b.Those are the only two guys that would be a big hire,no one else on the list is even close.

I wouldnt be mad if Gus got the job,he just isnt my first choice.Truthfully,the only name mentioned that would make me question AU's sanity would be Smart.

Every one else,for me is in between the top two(BP,GP) and Smart bringing up the rear.

Yes, but he's Vanderbilt. Why not take stupid risks during games?

I've always been of the opinion that Vandy and Duke are the two best coaching spots in the country. Zero expectations, everything you do is icing on the cake.

Franklin does some stupid stuff on game day though. He almost out Chizik'd Chizik in our game this season.

Agreed that was a relatively poor performance but it is not represenative of what he does on a weekly basis. The mistake in his mind was giving Auburn too much credit for being better than we were.

Well then I say to you that you sir...are a moron

Nah, I'm just kidding. I disagree totally because I don't see us getting to the top of the heap by being Bama Lite, but you are entitled to you (stupid) opinion.

Agreed completely, I don't see what ksmart is doin that makes people adore him to be our coach! If someone's makes him our head coach I will be highly disappointed!!!

I don't adore him. I just like him better than Gus.

IMO, Kirby and Gus are about equal in terms of potential. If it comes down between the two of them, the one that can give JJ the best Bible quote will get the job.

wde

Franklin does some stupid stuff on game day though. He almost out Chizik'd Chizik in our game this season.

I agree. He did everything he could possibly do to give us the game. We just weren't good enough to take it. I don't get the Franklin love, but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.

IMO, Kirby and Gus are about equal in terms of potential. If it comes down between the two of them, the one that can give JJ the best Bible quote will get the job.

wde

How? Kirby is essentially running Sabans system ....where as Gus has his implemented his own system, which has proven to be successful...not saying smart is not a good coach, but his success may be more Saban than smart...great recruiter though..

wde

How? Kirby is essentially running Sabans system ....where as Gus has his implemented his own system, which has proven to be successful...not saying smart is not a good coach, but his success may be more Saban than smart...great recruiter though..

That is why I said potential. Smart has spent the most of his career learning D and probably how to run an entire team from someone (who unfortunately for us) is the best, most disciplined, hard working, driven, take-no-prisoners coach in college football. Gus has had success running his O and has worked under two of the most undisciplined coaches in college football (Houston Nutt and Gene Chizik). My biggest concern about Gus is whether he is hard @$$ enough to bring the sorely needed discipline to this program that it desperately needs. I like Gus fine and I think for Jay Jacobs, Gus Malzahn would be a home run hire and if JJ can hire Gus, I would feel blessed the incompetent goober did not totally botch this coaching search up like he did the last one.

wde

wde

Kirby should get more credit for their D than most believe. Saban does not dictate the D as most think other than the base looks.

I've read a lot of pages on this board and from what I've gathered, people are 100 percent certain that:

It will not be Petrino.

It will not be Malzahn.

It will not be Jimbo.

It will not be Patterson.

Granted, those 4 statements (out of context) came from 4 different posters. So, 1 of 2 things is possible:

1. It will be somebody else.

2. Nobody knows anything.

I'm gonna go with #2. We'll find out soon enough and all will be well.

I've read a lot of pages on this board and from what I've gathered, people are 100 percent certain that:

It will not be Petrino.

It will not be Malzahn.

It will not be Jimbo.

It will not be Patterson.

Granted, those 4 statements (out of context) came from 4 different posters. So, 1 of 2 things is possible:

1. It will be somebody else.

2. Nobody knows anything.

I'm gonna go with #2. We'll find out soon enough and all will be well.

This really informative article from Joel Erickson puts the lie to that statement.

:drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa: :drippingsarcasm7pa:

Petrino and Patterson are the best two coaches that have hit the rumor mill.My personal first choice is BP Patterson is almost a 1.b.Those are the only two guys that would be a big hire,no one else on the list is even close.

I wouldnt be mad if Gus got the job,he just isnt my first choice.Truthfully,the only name mentioned that would make me question AU's sanity would be Smart.

Every one else,for me is in between the top two(BP,GP) and Smart bringing up the rear.

I wouldnt even have Smart in the equation. There are too many question marks for him. At least with Gus we know we would have a decent O. My list would be GP, BP, CP, GM, RF

I believe he will be announce our head coach tomorrow or Tuesday.

Disagree respectfully

Heard from a reliable source, but the situation is so fluid that I don't think anyone knows.

Disagree respectfully

Heard from a reliable source, but the situation is so fluid that I don't think anyone knows.

Agreed. 23 feels the same way but indications are different.

Disagree respectfully

Agreed. 23 feels the same way but indications are different.

23 thinks Smart will be announced as our new coach?

Archived