ST tweets about Auburn football

ellitor

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand some folks are complaining about Jimbo losing to teams he shouldn't lose to. Fair enough, but to say he laid an egg against NC State this year is not accurate. Florida St. lost 17-16 in a conference road game by one freaking point. Lets give NC State some credit though, they won in a very dramatic way. Florida State was winning 16-0 at the half. Florida State was winning 16-3 at the end of the third quarter. E.J. Manuel did not particularly look good in this game. We all know what bad QB play looks like. We also know what sitting on a lead looks like a la Tommy Tuberville. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, punt on 4th down. Chew up the clock. Well, NC State's last big upset of a Top 5 team was Florida St. in 1998. They weren't going away into the night. They scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter to inch closer. Somehow, NC State blocked a punt to get the ball back with less than 2-1/2 minutes left inside the 50. After having to convert 2 fourth downs to keep a drive alive, NC State again converts a pass again on 4th down for a touchdown to tie the game with 16 seconds left. They kick the extra point for the win. Florida State drives down the field and has the ball batted down at the end zone as time expired. Did Florida State lose? Yes, but it was one helluva game and NC State played their butts off, so give credit where credit is deserved.

Excellent points and analysis.

You guys kill me!! Lol at the Charlie Strong comments! I guess his team has to go undefeated and look flawless every week to be good enough to be OUR head coach....hahaha. Jimbo's team lost at NC State so I guess he's not good enough for Auburn either. Hell, the Patriots looked terrible against Arizona this year, that Bill Belichik must be a bum, huh??? I wouldn't hire him if he begged AU for the job....

No but you don't give up 45 points and counting to a below .500 Syracuse team when your a defensive minded coach and has an offense for ball control. Unless you have a really young team that is rebuilding you never lose to an inferior team, we had enough of that with Tommy Tubberville by the way.

No but you don't give up 45 points and counting to a below .500 Syracuse team when your a defensive minded coach and has an offense for ball control. Unless you have a really young team that is rebuilding you never lose to an inferior team, we had enough of that with Tommy Tubberville by the way.

Syracuse leads the Big East in yards per game. I saw a few analysts predict this during the week.

I am starting to think to many AU fans suffer from Saban envy. Now before you flame away, let me explain. All coaches go through ebbs and flows of winning and losing. Saban has had incredible success at Bama. Everybody wants this kind of winning steak to happen at their school. I want it also. Trying to find a coach with multiple NC's just ain't gonna' happen, unless we hire Saban. The key is to find a coach with a winning attitude that is hungry for success. There are many candidates that fit this description, and you might even consider who they might be. If you want somebody that has won a crystal ball, well your choice is Stoops or Carroll if you can get them. I still think Strong could come into the SEC and be a bada$$ head coach. I think Petrino could be successful, but I worry about his character or the fact that he doesn't have much of one. Jimbo would be successful if given the chance. Gus could make some noise if he could field a defense. I'm just saying quit badmouthing successful coaches just because they lose a game here or there. Now, if they are 5-19, bitch away. Google Saban's record as a head coach going back to Toledo. His accomplishments were not stellar compared to where he is now. It's all a crapshoot anyway. The biggest key is to get a coach that knows how to develop players, has a drive for success, and knows how to recruit. We currently have a coach and staff that can do one of these things, but all three are mandatory.

I am starting to think to many AU fans suffer from Saban envy. Now before you flame away, let me explain. All coaches go through ebbs and flows of winning and losing. Saban has had incredible success at Bama. Everybody wants this kind of winning steak to happen at their school. I want it also. Trying to find a coach with multiple NC's just ain't gonna' happen, unless we hire Saban. The key is to find a coach with a winning attitude that is hungry for success. There are many candidates that fit this description, and you might even consider who they might be. If you want somebody that has won a crystal ball, well your choice is Stoops or Carroll if you can get them. I still think Strong could come into the SEC and be a bada$$ head coach. I think Petrino could be successful, but I worry about his character or the fact that he doesn't have much of one. Jimbo would be successful if given the chance. Gus could make some noise if he could field a defense. I'm just saying quit badmouthing successful coaches just because they lose a game here or there. Now, if they are 5-19, bitch away. Google Saban's record as a head coach going back to Toledo. His accomplishments were not stellar compared to where he is now. It's all a crapshoot anyway. The biggest key is to get a coach that knows how to develop players, has a drive for success, and knows how to recruit. We currently have a coach and staff that can do one of these things, but all three are mandatory.

No grief from me, that's exactly what it is.

Charlie Strong has LOUISVILLE 9-0 and in the top 10 in the BCS. LOUISVILLE. I'd say he's done a pretty fine job. But ya, youre right, his team looks bad today, so we should probably scratch him off the list. I'm sure all of the candidates we will interview have NEVER coached a team that has played poorly and lost to a team they shouldn't have. Glad you're not on the search committee.

$aban lost to uab and ulm. Not to mention, he was averaging atleast 3-4 losses per year until the past couple of years. It took uat to make him an elite coach.

People saying they wouldn't be happy with Jimbo being hired are crazy. As mentioned above, the right program for the right coach can have great success. The cupboard is stocked. We just need a HC that knows how to utilize that talent.

You either, all im saying is if you lose to a team that's better fine but not to a below .500 team when your 9-0. The Florida game is still in play by the way every good team struggles on a given Saturday but they find a way to win. I think Jimbo Fisher or Bobby Petrino would be solid hires if AU went that direction.

My list would be Chris Peterson, Gus Malzahn, Larry Fedora, Bobby Petrino, Jimbo Fisher, Bob Stoops, Kevin Sumlin, or Rich Rod. Im curious to see who this boom coach is supposed to be or has that died down now.

For all the people who think Jimbo Fisher cannot possibly ever think about coaching in the SEC because he has lost some games in an inferior conference, keep in mind it is all about the right fit between coach, school, and conference. Let's compare Jimbo to two coaches who came from outside conferences to win big in the SEC, Les Miles & Nick Saban.

JImbo (Fl St):

2012: 9-1 (losses: NC St) (ranking: 10) (bowl: tbd) (titles: tbd)

2011: 9-4 (losses: WF, VA) (final rank: 23) (bowl: Champs Sports [w])

2010: 10-4 (losses: NC St) (final rank: 16) (bowl: Chick-fil-a [w])

Les Miles (OK. St.):

2001: 4-7 (losses: So. Miss, Mizzou, Ia St) unranked

2002: 8-5 (losses: La Tech) (bowl: Houston [w]) unranked

2003: 9-4 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Cotton [l]) unranked

2004: 7-5 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Alamo[l]) unranked

Nick Saban (Mi St):

1995: 6-5-1 (losses: none bad) (bowl: Independence [l]) unranked

1996: 6-6 (losses: louisville) (bowl: Sun [l]) unranked

1997: 7-5 (losses: Northwestern) (bowl: Aloha [l]) unranked

1998: 6-6 (losses: Oregon, Minnesota, Co. St) unranked

1999: 9-2 (losses: blowouts to Purdue, Wisconsin) (final rank: 7) (bowl:Citrus [w])

So what made Miles & Saban infinitely better coaches than their previous stops? Better recruits and resources.

Maybe, Fisher will benefit from that as well. Yes, Florida St has access to the same recruits we do, but look at our resources compared to theirs (which helps pay for better coaches and marketing):

Auburn 2009-2010 ath. dept. expenditures: 90.8 million

Florida State's 2009-10 ath dept. expend: 75.2 million

That's a huge difference. With our recruiting and resources, who knows how well Fisher will perform. All I know is his resume is equal to or exceeds Miles' and Saban's pre-SEC resumes.

You put a lot of work in to this and still overlooked one glaring point. OSU and MSU arent even the premiere teams in their respective states much less their conferences. You also failed to compare FSU expenditures to the rest of the ACC.

Okay, so Ok St & Mi St aren't the premier teams in their states, but is FSU? They have to compete with UM & UF for state dominance. Besides, before he got to FSU, they had fallen back into mediocrity. Let's not act like FSU is this hugely storied program. Bowden built that program from nothing in the 80s & 90s; not long compared to other powerhouse programs.

Also, the reason I didn't compare FSU's expenditures to the rest of the ACC is because it is irrelevant. My point is Fisher would have MORE resources at Auburn than FSU. So, it doesn't matter if they spend more than the rest of the ACC. They don't spend more than Auburn.

I swear most people on this board think that good coaches must be perfect to be hired. By your logic, neither Saban or Miles would have been hired.

If you think Jimbo isn't good enough Your fooling yourself. He's really out of our league if anything. If he is announced as our next HC here soon it will be nothing short of miraculous. At this point,We're the laughing stock of the SEC.

I've always thought Malzahn used a tricky offense, but hell...at least we scored at a high rate with him and even with mediocre QB's. I'd take him at this point, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

Maybe not the first choice but i think with him being able to install the entire offense as head coach and getting a true duel threat qb will show this offense does work and not about gimmicks or luck.

I could be satisfied with hiring Jimbo Fisher. He's not my top choice, but he'd be acceptable.

NOW: The reasons that Papa Bowden steered FSU into the ACC rather than the SEC all those years ago still exist. Nothing's changed. The same applies to Jimbo in 2012. It's much, much easier to win at FSU in the ACC than at Auburn in the SEC.

It may be posted on message boards that Jimbo Fischer is just itching to jump ship to a harder, more demanding life at Auburn. I'll believe that when the ink on his signature has dried.

The "FSU is going broke" stuff is, as far as I can tell, nothing but wishful thinking on the part of AU people that would like to see Jimbo come here. FSU has its own group of rabid supporters with deep pockets and they'll be able to come up with whatever amount is needed to keep the program afloat and the coach they want in place. Their recruiting certainly hasn't suffered.

There are any number of others, including Charlie Strong at Louisville, that would jump at the chance to coach at Auburn and should be able to do a fine job here. Jimbo making the lateral move to come here strains credibility.

Mikey - I of course have not see FSU's financial statement. My source coached there and knows a couple guys still there. They could be screwing with him but I can't see why they would. The ACC as a conference is nowhere near being equal to the SEC. Therefore it isn't a lateral move. I am of the opinion that it is easier to recruit in the SEC. It has prestige and history that the ACC simply can't begin to compare to. How many former SEC players are in the pros vs. ACC players? They are picking up Pitt and Syracuse isn't it? (Might be wrong) But they aren't adding A&M's and Mizzou's.

No Way it's a lateral move. I'm not trying to start anything, I have always liked a'lot of what you say, I guess we just have to differ. No Biggie.

WAR EAGLE! :wareagle:

I would rather focus on how many FSU players are in the league now.....FSU puts players in the league and always has.

Archived